Chevy SSR Forum banner

Is the SSR a Truck? Or Is it a Roadster?

Is the SSR a Truck? Or Is it a Roadster?

7K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  ssrtruck 
#1 · (Edited)
:confused:confused:confusedIs the SSR a Truck? Or Is it a Roadster?:confused:confused:confused

I don’t want to get hanged up on semantics, but I know if my SSR could talk, it would object at being called a Truck, and it would claim to be a Roadster….

road•ster
–noun
1. An open automobile having a single seat in the front for two or three people and a rumble seat or luggage compartment in the back.

truck
–noun
1. any of various forms of vehicle for carrying goods and materials, usually consisting of a single self-propelled unit but also often composed of a trailer vehicle hauled by a tractor unit.
2. any of various wheeled frames used for transporting heavy objects.

SSR
• It’s called a Roadster: Super Sport Roadster

• It Drives like a Roadster, and not like a Truck…

• It Kind, of Sort of, looks like a Truck; but it also Looks like a Roadster

• It’s priced like a Roadster…

• We affectionately call it an R for Short, but then we call it a Truck

• Unlike a Truck, it Can’t carry much, but like a Roadster delivers loads of Fun

• Tows like a Roadster and not like a Truck

• It sits on a SUV chassis, but it has the mechanics of a sports car…

:willy:So, is it a Truck or is it a Roadster?:willy:
or Both???
:willy:What you say SSR-Fanatics:willy:​

See less See more
#14 ·
Pickup? Mhhhh

pick·up   [pik-uhp]

–noun

Automotive.

c. Also called pickup truck. a small truck with a low-sided open body, used for deliveries and light hauling.

I had a '28 Ford Roadster Pickup in my yute. It was a hot rod firstly,
definitely not a car, but that is what I have always called my '28, a Roadster Pickup.
My SSR is a Roadster Pickup (Truck).

Attachments

#5 ·
I had a '28 Ford Roadster Pickup in my yute. It was a hot rod firstly,
definitely not a car, but that is what I have always called my '28, a Roadster Pickup.
My SSR is a Roadster Pickup (Truck).

#7 ·
Definately a Roadster Truck!!

Mine works like a truck, hauls like a roadster :D handles like a roadster, looks like a truck,looks like a roadster, hauls like a truck, trailers like a truck,looks like a roadster when it hauls the trailer...
Need I say more?

oh yeah...

it gets the gas milage of a Roadster!:glol

#13 ·
Super Sport Roadster means just that....my tag agency says its a truck. On a Trailblazer frame..(which is not a truck).
Government calls it a truck (which technically means the plate with the sticker goes on the front), with a GVWR and all... Personally I think it's a car with a big trunk when the top's up and a roadster with a big trunk when the top's down...

Now, where did I put that front plate anyway...

#17 ·
From Wiki:
A roadster, also known as a spyder or spider, is a two-seat car, traditionally without either a roof, side or rear windows.

Most modern day two-seaters have windows and feature retractable roofs (and are thus convertibles). While retractable soft-tops are nevertheless marketed as roadsters/spyders, retractable hard-tops are commonly designated as coupe roadsters.

A truck (US) or lorry (UK) is a motor vehicle, more specifically a commercial vehicle commonly used for transporting goods and materials. Some light trucks/lorries are similar in size to a passenger automobile. Commercial transportation trucks/lorries or fire trucks can be large, and can also serve as a platform for specialized equipment.

A pickup truck (or pick-up truck or simply pickup) is a light motor vehicle with an open-top rear cargo area (bed) which is almost always separated from the cab to allow for chassis flex when carrying or pulling heavy loads.[citation needed]

Several North American vehicles, the Chevrolet El Camino, Ford Ranchero, and Honda Ridgeline and Subaru Baja have beds, but are not technically trucks[citation needed]. Although the El Camino and the Ranchero were built with body-on-frame architectures, they were based on existing station wagon platforms, while the Ridgeline uses a spot welded sheet steel monocoque (unibody) chassis in the same style as modern passenger cars. Trucks typically have either a tubular or channel rail chassis with a fully floating cab and separate cargo section to allow for chassis flex and prevent warping of the sheetmetal. The sheet steel in both of these sections is not a stressed member. A combination of the two styles, monocoque cab and engine bay welded to a 'c' section chassis rear is offered in Australia. It is known as the 'one tonner' because it is rated to carry some 250 kg (551 lb) more than the all monocoque style.[citation needed]

Vehicles like the Holden Ute and FPV Pursuit, colloquially called a ute or utility (from "Coupe utility") in Australia and New Zealand, are known in South Africa as a bakkie (pronounced "bucky"),in Romania as "slipper", in Egypt as "half truck", and in Israel as a tender. Panel vans, popular in Australia during the 1970s, were based on ute chassis; known in Egypt as "box".[citation needed] Coupé utilities and panel vans usually have an integral cargo bed behind the cabin with unibody or monocoque construction like automobiles.

The design details of such vehicles vary significantly, and different nationalities seem to specialize in different styles and sizes of vehicles. For instance, North American pickups come in full-size (large, heavy vehicles often with V8 or six-cylinder engines), mid-size, and compact (smaller trucks generally equipped with inline 4 engines).[citation needed]

I'd say it's neither. Or maybe a "coupe utility roadster" (and a mouthful).

But it sure is a lot of damn fun.

(I can, and do, pull a utility trailer, too, but so can my Honda minivan.)

#26 ·
Pickup Truck

Raul,

You should be thankful that Florida calls it a Pickup Truck.

Cheaper to register and INSURE!!

You can call the "R" what ever you like.

I tell people “God made the Platypus” and no one knows what it is for sure.

And GM made the SSR, and no one knows what it is for sure.

But I LIKE IT!!

Dicktator

#30 ·
Raul,

You should be thankful that Florida calls it a Pickup Truck.

Cheaper to register and INSURE!!

You can call the "R" what ever you like.

I tell people “God made the Platypus” and no one knows what it is for sure.

And GM made the SSR, and no one knows what it is for sure.

But I LIKE IT!!

Dicktator
:eek:agree

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.