Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to go under when I realized I haven't seen this technique.
Is it safer to lift the front on both sides ??
It seems like I'm putting a strain on stuff

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
I feel anytime you have to jack up any vehicle, their is always a danger to it. Of course when I was young, didn't think a thing about it. I'd put that 55 Chevy up on "wooden" boxes if I thought they would hold "her" Now that I'm many years older I really care about my fingers, feet and of course my life. Sorry I'm not much help. tennesseecozydog :ssr

Addition --- come to think of it, they were World War II wooden ammunition boxes Dad got at the Army surplus store.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've done the side lift a few times with no ill affect. Just make sure the stands are of high weight rating and I always leave the jack up and locked as well.........
Thanks
Just got the stands yesterday and they're rated for 2-ton ea.
It seemed like I might have been putting a big strain on something on the other side.
I don't t know, bearings or something :confused
It's a lot more scary going under there than it was 50 yrs ago :surprise:

·
SSR Pit Crew
1,793 Posts
I remember years ago seeing a guy changing a tire on the side of the road with a bumper jack sitting on the ground straddling the tire on the car. Amazing.

Dave

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,048 Posts
Yea but look at all the money you're saving not having to invest in a bunch of stupid jacks and jackstands.

Dave

That way your family can use the money for your funeral. Very considerate don't you think?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I lost a friend back in the 60's. Young and clueless. The rear crushed his head. When in doubt I use the junk yard back up method. I stack filled wheels and tires under the vehicle as back up for the jacks....stands. Then shake the vehicle hard..........Also can rest on the tires and remove the jack stands...........As one said, always leave the jack in place.

Birdmans

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Done and Done !!

Still alive after installing the ABS Heat shield and the "Dicktator" shift kit. (Good thing the nylon bushing crumbled)
Tuffest part of the job was getting on and off the kreeper. Since when did THAT become an Olympic event ??
BTW the jack stands are 6 ton ea. Don't know how I wrote 2 ton.
Now off to replace radiator bracket and cross arm

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Silver Bullet, I'd suggest putting the top up first. I've no proof but I believe it would make the truck less susceptible the bending and twisting. Can't hurt. ;)

·
Premium Member
19,716 Posts
if you are going to use jack stand why not go for more height??

Used to put buses 30 footers 40 footers and even articulated coaches up in air on jack stands in air using tall jack stands. Tie down complete rear suspension and would install new stuff , remove transmissions too. Even simple services

1 - 20 of 20 Posts