Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
High Plains Roadster
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was checking the origin of a very small leak under my '05 SSR Automatic, just to the rear of the engine.

When it was jacked up and I crawled under, I noticed a shiny housing with a large circular hole in it open to the ground and could see the teeth of a large gear inside.

Attached are some photos.

Exactly what am I seeing here? Is this the way it is supposed to be?

With our dirt and gravel roads around here, all sorts of crap can go flying up this big opening!

You can call me ignorant but I don't want anything to go wrong with this truck so tell me if I should be worried.

Attachments

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,386 Posts
I was checking the origin of a very small leak under my '05 SSR Automatic, just to the rear of the engine.

When it was jacked up and I crawled under, I noticed a shiny housing with a large circular hole in it open to the ground and could see the teeth of a large gear inside.

Attached are some photos.

Exactly what am I seeing here? Is this the way it is supposed to be?

With our dirt and gravel roads around here, all sorts of crap can go flying up this big opening!

You can call me ignorant but I don't want anything to go wrong with this truck so tell me if I should be worried.
In the times I have been under my truck while it was on a lift, I think I would have noticed a hole like that. I do not remember any such thing. Hope someone lets us know what it is and how it should be covered.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey, KJA To the extent that the inspection cover is missing, no it's not normal. What round hole appears to me to be is an inspection window, normally coverd by a cap of sorts. What I'm quite sure you see is the starter ring gear.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
Yes, what your seeing is the Flex plate on the back of the engine in the bellhousing. That is an inspection hole that should have a plastic plug in it. You should be able to get one at an auto parts store or Transmission repair Shop and snap it in.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,443 Posts
Good that you caught that missing plug!?
Might be something all of us should take a quick look at. If it happened once it could happen to someone else's truck!?

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
I have always removed these plugs, (there are other plastic plugs/shields by the starter and the oil filter)as I feel that as the vehicle is moving, the air current that passes by will help in removing/sucking the heat that is normally trapped in the bell housing and helps in cooling the back side of the block. I would not worry about replacing it. My $.02.

·
Daily Driver
8,940 Posts
Plus the sand and grit getting in will act as lapping compound making the starter to ring gear work more smoothly. :rolleyes:

·
High Plains Roadster
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guess I am skeptical about the positive value of a bunch of sand and gravel knocking around inside this housing.

Chances are, a flying rock is what knocked the other one out.

In Wyoming, what they call pea gravel is sometimes more like golf-ball gravel.

The NAPA parts store did not have one of these plugs but to my surprise the Chevy dealer in town did so I got an OEM one for $9.50 and put it in.

It was not plastic but thin sheet metal with spring clips to hold it in.

Thanks to all for all the info and advice.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,919 Posts
And a great place for the rodents to build nests over the winter.
When I lived in NY mice filled the clutch housing on my motorcycle with birdseed I had stored in a cabinet in the garage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts