Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Have a new '05 ' and the roof operation performs great except for one thing. When I have the truck parked and want to clean the inside panels of the roof that can't be reached, and open the roof half way,( to where the roof is vertical), then turn off the truck, the roof slides back all the way down into it's slot, as if it is loosing hydraulic pressure. I see pictures that some of you send in that have the roof opened half way. Is mine defective, or is this normal operation?
And if it's not normal operation, how do I convince the dealer to fix it because he will say the up and down function performs normal? :ssr Thanks....

·
Premium Member
1,890 Posts
Roof Operation

Must be a faulty valve , letting it bleed back . My 05 will stop and hold at any position

·
Registered
631 Posts
If the dealer has another SSR on the lot, make him operate the roof and stop it in a half-up position so he can see it doesn't drop as you've described yours doing. That should be proof enough. Unless that one is faulty also (unlikely?).

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine does that too.

Mine does the same thing if I turn off the ignition. As long as the key is on, the top will stay in any position. If you turn the key off when the top is half-way, it will fall back into the storage position. It is probably a hydraulic valve that is opening when the key is off and the pressure is relieved in the system, and the top will drop.

Doug

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I found out if you STOP the open top BEFORE or at mid open point it will stay open with the motor off...otherwise it will slide all the way down.... Please be carful!!!!! It could pin you in there......

Steve

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Yes - Normal

My 05 will do the same. Trick is to open the top not quite as far and it will stay up.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Same here - the top will hold to the point where the panels reach over center. Beyond that point, they bleed down. It's a matter of experimenting to see at what point the weight of the panels starts to push down on the hydraulic cylinders.

I've been able to leave the panels partially open at shows for extensive periods.

Ray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts