Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"04" SSR-Automatic Trans.
Pulling slowly coming a stopped position it shifts into 2'nd gear at between 1000-1200rpm.
Then 2'nd to 3'rd almost immediately after between 1500-1800rpm.
This is not as seamless a transition as what I think is normal.
1'st to 2'nd is a noticeable change (not a clunk but not smooth)
2'nd to 3'nd barely noticeable but noticeable.
After that all seems to be 100%
Is this the sign of an imminent Trans issue ?? :surprise:
Thanks Ed

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Sorry, I can't comment my tachometer doesn't seem right.
Maybe there's someone in your area with an 03 or 04 you could drive and compare.
Or look for one for sale and go for a test drive.

·
Premium Member
1,425 Posts
In racing situations, Ilsa would shift quickly between 1 and 2, but noticeably more slowly between 2 and 3. When I had a tranny shop check the automatic and the differential; they tightened the bands, and either drilled or opened up the fluid hole so the 2 - 3 shift would be faster, and now it is.

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
That's not what I said. Under light throttle mine too shifts quickly. I cannot confirm the rpm. Suggest you drive another one since it is new to you. Someone else had similar concern suggested the same. I never saw updated post.
Can't really compare mine. Inaccurate tach, corvette servo and rarely accelerated lightly.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks
I'm not as concerned about the rpm that the shifting occurs as much as what seems to me to be an abrupt transition (almost a clunk) from 1 to 2
Rather than test drive multiple other SSR's, I thought it might make sense to ask if others on the forum share the same experience.
If it isn't a common characteristic, then I may have a potential issue that I would be smart to follow up on.
Just trying to establish a baseline.:cheers

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,195 Posts
We will be taking Kathy's '04 out later. I'll check it different ways and report back. Also, Greg, our trans. expert, will probably chime in. Just hang on.

Nick

·
Registered
188 Posts
The trans may have been modified with a Hard Shift kit. That will cause the 1-2 shift to be very firm. Under light acceleration, the 1-2 and 2-3 shift happen pretty quick on mine, and the trans is a very recent rebuild. I have another GM car that will hit third gear just crossing an intersection under light acceleration.

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
My 04 when I took off fast would hesitate in first until I felt like I needed to back off so it could shift. I had the Corvette servo put on and now it shifts without that hesitation. The servo cost me $80 part & labor. That’s the best $80 I have spent on the truck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys
I'm not much of a motorhead so I'll search "servo's" and "Hard shift Kits" to get a better understanding.
It is a "Roadster" after all. I shouldn't compare it to my Infinity.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,195 Posts
We will be taking Kathy's '04 out later. I'll check it different ways and report back. Also, Greg, our trans. expert, will probably chime in. Just hang on.

Nick
TeakFreak--- We just got back. A little above idle it shifts pretty normal. You can feel it but not a hard jerk. 101,000 miles, just got it in Feb. so don't know anything about it's past but feel sure it's bone stock and probable all original.

Nick

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
TeakFreak--- We just got back. A little above idle it shifts pretty normal. You can feel it but not a hard jerk. 101,000 miles, just got it in Feb. so don't know anything about it's past but feel sure it's bone stock and probable all original.

Nick
Thanks Nick
I'm pretty certain that what's going on is completely normal. Just not what I've been accustomed to. I'm glad I asked because I thought I might be aggravating the situation.
Ed

·
Premium Member
2,772 Posts
Tried light acceleration on way to golf course. 1-2 could be felt 2-3 I could only hear the rpm change. If you can get a tyranny shop you trust to test drive for free. Do it for piece of mind. Do you know if your car has been "tuned" this would affect shift pressure and feel.
Under moderate acceleration 1-2 firm but not harsh. Again I have a corvette servo and agree with other posts-- my best bang for the buck so far.

·
Daily Driver
8,930 Posts
I got a Corvette servo from Greg Ducato but when the trans was opened it already had one. Since I bought the truck new it must have come from the factory. Greg said mine is the third one he'd heard of, at that time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts