Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
RED SLED
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm considering one of the plexi wind suppressors and was looking around the web. I found this site tht appears to sell them. I tried to look around here on the site to find a link but to no avail.

Clear Chevy SSR Windscreen

Thoughts, input, opinions?

Thanks,

S2

·
Premium Member
5,879 Posts
Hi All,

I'm considering one of the plexi wind suppressors and was looking around the web. I found this site tht appears to sell them. I tried to look around here on the site to find a link but to no avail.

Clear Chevy SSR Windscreen

Thoughts, input, opinions?

Thanks,

S2
Got mine from Gary at Florida Stainless. Very satisfied. He has them with etching, lights, plain or a combination of all.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
Have not seen this vendor before and looking at the web site I find it hard to understand what I am getting. Lack of pictures and explanations.
Though I have not dealt with Gary at Florida Stainless, he is a member here and I have not heard complaints about him.
Good luck in your search.

Reactions: S2NAZ

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Kappa windscreens

Stew,
I bought my acrylic windscreen from Kappa several years ago...it’s still on the truck. At the time, I think Kappa was a site-supporting vendor. When the wind screen arrived, the edges were not finished at all...it appeared to have been rough-cut with a bandsaw, packaged and sent out. I have worked with plastics, acrylics, and plexi over the years, so I kept the screen and finished the edges myself. Personally, I would buy from another vendor...I have seen some nice screens out there. When you do purchase one, buy acrylic/Lexan. It’s much more scratch resistant than plexiglass.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Vetteman62 sells some on ebay. I think I remember seeing some good comments about his work here on this site.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,457 Posts
I purchased mine from vetteman62. I had some initial issues with my etching but Gary and Rick went the extra yard and got my "Windjammer" looking just as I hoped it would!
IMG_20180725_214331406_LL.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
I would support the long time SSRFanatics

Gary, vetteman62 - aka floridastainless ( I have his and very satisfied) but also Roy - Windsuppressor
Many have Roy's as well - I believe Roy was the first guy out the gate doing this

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
I would support the long time SSRFanatics

Gary, vetteman62 ( I have his and very satisfied) but also Roy - Windsuppressor
I think Ray (WindsuppreSSR) has stopped. I ordered one from his web site and paid via CC. Got the receipt from Paypal saying order was placed and within 1/2 hour got a refund
on the CC. Tried to contact Ray and got no response.

If I am wrong, please someone let me know.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,931 Posts
I think Ray (WindsuppreSSR) has stopped. I ordered one from his web site and paid via CC. Got the receipt from Paypal saying order was placed and within 1/2 hour got a refund

You are Correct, Sir ! Ray is officially Retired and has left the building.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
My 04 has a plexiglass one in it when I bought the truck and I like it a lot better than the factory screen one that came with my 05. In fact the one in the 05 I took out on the second day of driving it because I didn't like it. The plexiglass one will be going into the 05. That might be a project for this weekend.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
3,457 Posts

You are correct! I was disappointed when Ray decided to stop making his WindsuppreSSRs.... Thankful that the Windjammer is available from Florida Stainless aka Vetteman62.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,054 Posts
Mike at Simple Engineering has originals or close to it. Can't go wrong with him.

·
Super Moderator
13,943 Posts
I think Ray (WindsuppreSSR) has stopped.
I was disappointed when Ray decided to stop making his WindsuppreSSRs.... Thankful that the Windjammer is available from Florida Stainless aka Vetteman62.
Semantics - Ray/Roy - Dale/Dave HaHa!
I thought it was Roy Hobbell
However, did you bums know Ray/Roy had #2400 SSR that is a multi-flame Pace clone?

·
Slingshot Rules!
72,538 Posts
Hi All,

Thanks,

S2
My recommendation, S2NAZ . . .

Test drive an SSR with one of those things in place before you decide, preferably after dark.

We live in the Perfect Climate for lots of Fresh Air Driving so I am not a big fan but I have driven / ridden in a few Rs with both types. The plastic panel type looks more finished and seems to block more air from behind than the screen type but my biggest complaint was the oncoming headlight reflection. Besides, the cabin is "closed in" enough as it is . . . why make it even worse?

I guess I could become accustomed to either type but WHY? Drop the top, keep a comb in the console if necessary and enjoy the Arizona Fresh Air.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH . . .

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
My recommendation, S2NAZ . . .

Test drive an SSR with one of those things in place before you decide, preferably after dark.

We live in the Perfect Climate for lots of Fresh Air Driving so I am not a big fan but I have driven / ridden in a few Rs with both types. The plastic panel type looks more finished and seems to block more air from behind than the screen type but my biggest complaint was the oncoming headlight reflection. Besides, the cabin is "closed in" enough as it is . . . why make it even worse?

I guess I could become accustomed to either type but WHY? Drop the top, keep a comb in the console if necessary and enjoy the Arizona Fresh Air.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH . . .

! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: ! :cheers ! :surprise: !
I can sort of agree with you but I need a place for the stickers when my top is down & the back window doesn't show. The factory OEM equipent will not do that.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Hi Dwight,
You and I talked about the clear verse's the GM screen a few weeks ago when you came over to my shack to help me out. Since then I bought one of the Plexiglass windbreaks from Vetteman in Florida and have put it in, and WOW, what a difference it made in the view out the back window. There is so much more to see without the screen there and the black rubber strip on the old screen is no longer there, so no more trying to look over or under it to see whats out back. ( You never know who's sneaking up behind you. ) And there is so much more light out there with the clear Plexiglass. It would be nice if it was made of Lexan but until TruckNrod starts making them, ( HINT, HINT, HINT, Hey Dennis are you reading this.) I'll be happy with the Plexiglass one.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,395 Posts
Hi Dwight,
You and I talked about the clear verse's the GM screen a few weeks ago when you came over to my shack to help me out. Since then I bought one of the Plexiglass windbreaks from Vetteman in Florida and have put it in, and WOW, what a difference it made in the view out the back window. There is so much more to see without the screen there and the black rubber strip on the old screen is no longer there, so no more trying to look over or under it to see whats out back. ( You never know who's sneaking up behind you. ) And there is so much more light out there with the clear Plexiglass. It would be nice if it was made of Lexan but until TruckNrod starts making them, ( HINT, HINT, HINT, Hey Dennis are you reading this.) I'll be happy with the Plexiglass one.
What can I say? Thanks for the reinforcement of my thoughts, and those of many others.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts