Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Lowe's this morning and bought 800 lbs of bricks and took them to the parking lot to begin loading them into the SSR. There was a couple standing around as usual looking in the windows. I opened the back and began loading the bricks and they couldn't believe what I was doing. I told them, Hey its a truck. You would have thought it was their truck. It handled the 800 lbs very well on the freeway. It however sure made a mess in the back. :cool :cool

·
A Little BIG JIM
3,351 Posts
No Bricks Please!

Shame on you!! It's only for hauling 2 sets of buns around!
How about a picture next time? :cool

·
Las Vegas Mob
1,371 Posts
subman576 said:
I opened the back and began loading the bricks and they couldn't believe what I was doing.
Me Neither!

Blast

·
Premium Member
9,353 Posts
Work Truck

Posted this last winter - it's the only other SSR in the area.

He has carpet and bedstrips, and being a real man, doesn't use protection. :lol

Ray

Attachments

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
A blanky for the bed of my truck ? (how anal)

Bahahahahahahah . . . . . .

I carry about 700-800 lbs of breakdown ladder, tile saws, cords, compressor, hose, fittings, cutoff saws, drills and chargers, nail guns, tools for forklift repair, and frequently 6 or 7 50lb. boxes of nails and fasteners all at the same time in the back of my SSR ALWAYS ! ! ( and no, there isn't a blanky underneath all this stuff either) :lol :lol :lol

Its a friggin' truck for god's sake ! !

Since I just washed and waxed her today, with all this work crap cleverly concealed she turns into a head-turning little roadster which obviously makes everybody think (at Starbucks and the theatre) I drive this sweet little motion machine only 10 miles a week. (actually 600-700) :lol :lol :lol

She pays for herself many times over in the daytime and delights me at night. What a gal. :)

Gary (WearyEagle)

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
How anal? Very much I guess...

I put a blanket under the Laptop that I haul in the back of my Truck! :lol

Heck - I even have two backup sets of 'wood' strips in case the original get scratched. (One wood set & one color matched Yellow set.)

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Subman 576: With just you, no passenger, no other cargo, and that 800 lb. of bricks, you are at exactly the weight limit for the rear axle - assuming you don't have much fuel aboard.

Kwhopper: The cargo bed is not ventilated. A laptop will overheat under there under an adverse set of ambient condtions (hot, sunny day).

Jim G

·
OP
8,226 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Subman 576: With just you, no passenger, no other cargo, and that 800 lb. of bricks, you are at exactly the weight limit for the rear axle - assuming you don't have much fuel aboard.

Kwhopper: The cargo bed is not ventilated. A laptop will overheat under there under an adverse set of ambient condtions (hot, sunny day).

Jim G
OMG...Jim G, could you give me the square root of infinity????
You are just like my father-in-law and he is a retired NASA engineer...

·
OP
8,226 Posts
subman576 said:
I went to Lowe's this morning and bought 800 lbs of bricks and took them to the parking lot to begin loading them into the SSR. There was a couple standing around as usual looking in the windows. I opened the back and began loading the bricks and they couldn't believe what I was doing. I told them, Hey its a truck. You would have thought it was their truck. It handled the 800 lbs very well on the freeway. It however sure made a mess in the back. :cool :cool
COOL!
It is a truck, but a nice one at that. I'd do it, but I would use a tarp...just to keep the carpet and strips nice.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
ampmop: That's right - insult me.

Those NASA engineers are the ones who blew a metric to American units conversion and consequently blew an entire space mission. They are also the ones who can't figure out the ceramic tile thing.

My wife says I do have that disease; I can do the complicated things well, but the simple things in life I really screw up. I once tried a newspaper route, and failed at it. :) I couldn't remember multiple apartment addresses within the same building, NEVER even ONCE in 3 weeks finished the damn route on time, and couldn't throw newspapers with any accuracy. The last straw was a demanding witch who had often had her paper stolen by her neighbor (couldn't prove it though) and INSISTED that I throw it up to her 3rd floor apartment balcony. I nailed her stupid flowerpot and turned it into confetti. That was the end of my newspaper career.

Jim G

·
OP
8,226 Posts

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

B

·
0 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
ampmop: That's right - insult me.

Those NASA engineers are the ones who blew a metric to American units conversion and consequently blew an entire space mission. They are also the ones who can't figure out the ceramic tile thing.

My wife says I do have that disease; I can do the complicated things well, but the simple things in life I really screw up. I once tried a newspaper route, and failed at it. :) I couldn't remember multiple apartment addresses within the same building, NEVER even ONCE in 3 weeks finished the damn route on time, and couldn't throw newspapers with any accuracy. The last straw was a demanding witch who had often had her paper stolen by her neighbor (couldn't prove it though) and INSISTED that I throw it up to her 3rd floor apartment balcony. I nailed her stupid flowerpot and turned it into confetti. That was the end of my newspaper career.

Jim G
Did you try throwin with the other hand??... :lol :jester :lol :seeya

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
It's a Truck

I've hauled concrete blocks, sod, racing slicks, a bunch of tile - no problem. I just put a movers blanket down first so the rough stuff doesn't tear up the 'wood' strips. I doubt I'm anywhere near the load rating the the 14 bolt rear axle though.

·
Premium Member
3,577 Posts
I use it as a truck!!

I have hauled dirt , rocks , engine blocks and so on. But i do put something down to protect the carpet and wood strips. :cool

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
hdflstf: The load litmit for the rear axle, oper the door placard on the SSR, is 3250 lb.

The SSR itself puts 2350 lb of laod onto it - with an empty fuel tank.

A full fuel tank adds 25 x 6.15 lb/gal = 154 lb, with at LEAST 100 lb. of it on the rear axle.

Your own weight adds say 200 lb /2 (seat is about midway between front and rear axles) = 100 lb to rear axle.

So, with you, fuel, and NO load in the back you have 2550 lb. on that axle.

That leave you 3250 - 2550 = 700 lb. of load (since almost all of it will be on th rear axle because of the loacation of the axle relative to the cargo bay).

Think all that stuff you are putting in there is light? I actually weighed everything I put in there before heading off on my last contract assignment trip. It was mostly clothing, printer, daily living supplies, and some books. That came to 300 lb.plus.

Ever wonder why Chevy doesn't advertise the cargo carrying capacity of our SSRs?

Jim G

·
Registered
62 Posts
Off

Well, if the SSR had a true 50/50 weight ratio that would be true. BUT...since it doesn't it is a lot of bunk!!

Load it up, haul it off and enjoy the "TRUCK"!!

It is NOT a race car and never will be no matter how hard you try.

Just be careful....we do have the best looking Truck on the road and it is destined to be a classic.

Rickoshea
'04

·
Registered
62 Posts
Wrong again...

2004 Chevy SSR Specifications
Price Range: $41,370
Wheelbase (in / mm): 116 / 2946
Overall length (in / mm): 191.4 / 4862
Overall width (in / mm): 78.6 / 1996
Overall height (in / mm): 64.2 / 1631