Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the weather here in PA not the greatest over the last three weeks it gave me time to disassemble, do a little detailing and put it all back together. And I didn't have any parts left over.

Details:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Details

My dad always said "You can order the same vehicle as anyone else. It's the details that make yours stand out"

I wish he was alive to see this.

Attachments

·
Registered
705 Posts
did you paint your breaks red? How did you do that?

·
Premium Member
9,216 Posts
Great job on detailing, Jim

I can appreciate your work - I did a lot of detailing on my wife's Sonoma 4 x 4 - lowered, air bags, 18" wheels, lots of airbrush work, including the calipers. Chromed, polished, or painted virtually everything under the hood. Electric motors on remote control for the tonneau, Bedrug in the box, etc. Almost got in trouble with the polished twin snorkle air intake. She asked me how much that little part had cost us. My reply was "Way less than a mistress" Never heard another word about my fetish with shiny things. Besides, she really enjoys driving a clean truck.

I really like the red calipers - I had the same thought. Red is the right color, whether on a black, red or yellow SSR (Might need to go orange calipers on the purple). Now it needs aftermarket polished wheels with smaller hubs, all the better to show off those calipers.

Did you find a yellow tool box, or was that your own work as well - very nicely done.

·
Registered
130 Posts
SSR290 - While you were cleaning, painting, and polishing, I was driving the snot out of my SSR:D

Just kidding, I wish mine was that clean! I go out to the shop with the best intensions but it always seems like one of the cars talks me into a quick drive that last most of the day. A quick wash and vacuum is about the best any of them ever receive anymore.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great Job !!!!

Diamond Jim, I agree with everyone else, SUPER JOB !!! Also, don't worry I believe your Dad has seen it !!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Red Strip

Jim,

I love the red Strip on the back of your truck. You should have posted it with your details picture instead of when you posted it with you tags picture. We need to talk I would like to see how you painted the brakes and center cap. I was thinking about painting them yellow to match the truck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great job!!!

Great detailing job on the SSR.

I know the weather is pretty nasty up there. Y don't u come on down here 2 Ft. Lauderdale n u can detail mine out. Hey, at least it's warmer n I'll buy u a beer at the beach whilst we watch ALL the "Hot Honey's beggin 2 go 4 a ride.

Remember: I ride topless n so will they !!

:cool :cheers

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DETAILS

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. What they don't say is that it can generate a thousand questions.

Tanks for the comments. It reallys feels good when people appreciate your hard work.

Now for the questions.

* The toolbox (yellow of course) is from Sears. The decoration is my handy work. I needed a place to keep my jack, wheel wrench, first aid kit, jack gloves, rags, and window cleaner...etc.

* The calipers are painted with a high temperature ceramic paint. The color is Chevy red/orange( matches the engine block paint chevy used). I removed the wheels and pulled the calipers off the rotor to paint them. (Did not disconnect the brake line). The hardest part is the prep so they will take the paint. It took a while to mask off the area but was worth it. One wheel at a time.

* The sills at the doors and the rear cargo are hand painted. Silver for the "SS" and the same Chevy red/orange color as the brakes.
...This red/orange color is the color of the "R" on the rear tailgate.

* The Engine Cover insert is like the one that will come when you order the 'Body Color Accent Package'. You get the colored insert and the 'Body Color Running Boards' . This option will be available later this year on a limited basis. It took 3 months to get the Insert from GM, then I had it painted to match the yellow.

...In the process of detailing I discovered that the SSR has a jacking point in the frame just at the rear of the front tires. It is an indent in the outside of the frame that a bottle hydraulic jack head fits in perfectly. The frame sits so low that the jack won't go under the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts