Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In fact, my Chevy Dealer Service says that GM's official position that anything over 800 miles per quart is nothing to worry about!

Thank God! My 1 quart per 1000 miles was starting to worry me! It's a big relief to here that!

·
Registered
68 Posts
What are you saying????

Are you saying it is normal for a vehicle to burn one quart of oil every 1000 miles? This is the first I have heard of this. Is anyone else as surprised as I am????

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
But Fords Burn 2 quarts....

Oh No...:willy:

RickSSR :cool

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Quart every 800 to 1000 miles

dougnc said:
In fact, my Chevy Dealer Service says that GM's official position that anything over 800 miles per quart is nothing to worry about!

Thank God! My 1 quart per 1000 miles was starting to worry me! It's a big relief to here that!
If I were you I'd be looking at another dealer repair place. There is no way a new vehicle should burn 1 quart of oil every 800 to 1000 miles. You need to have your "heads" examined.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Oil consumption on my 6.0L

dougnc-

The dealer probably also thinks it has a 2 stroke motor and should burn that much. :lol

Burning a quart of oil in 1,000 miles may be normal for a 4 stroke motor after 150,000 miles on it or if you have been making full throttle 1/4 mile runs for some of those miles. Mine has burnt about 1/2 a quart in its first 3,000 miles and I hope it is just due to break-in and quite a few full throttle events now. If in my second 3,000 miles it burns half a quart I would think that was excessive too. I would expect more like a 1/2 quart of oil burnt between oil changes per the DIC, and that would be about 8,000 miles and after the first oil change.

Thats my 2 cents.

Doug

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I would go to a different dealer, or call the GM Hotline!!! I have over 50k on my tahoe and it nevers uses oil between changes!

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,369 Posts
My GM cars have never used oil between changes though I do know that sometimes it does happen (I think Dodge had a major problem for a few years) and that some advertise that it is okay for up to 2 quarts between oil changes. On new engines it's mostly due to too much slack in the piston bore area that causes an issue with the oil rings.

Is it a real probelm? Maybe. There could be alot of factors that affect oil consumption. Here's a post about a problem that the Corvette Z06's had awhile back:
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page5.htm

:seeya

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
dougnc said:

I think he is refering to the oil he uses in his hair. In which case, yes! this makes perfect sense. :cool

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
dougnc said:

G.M. say 1qt for every 2000 mile is normal. have youe dealer look up bulletin #01-06-01-011B this will explain oil consumtion. I'll see if I can post the bulletin but I know enough about computer to get into trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
C1Trob said:
If I were you I'd be looking at another dealer repair place. There is no way a new vehicle should burn 1 quart of oil every 800 to 1000 miles. You need to have your "heads" examined.

I agree with C1Trob on this one, Get a second opion. I can't believe that is "normal" . And being a new engine,No Way....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Now U Sound @#$##@

My 2005 with 3400 or so miles never had to add a single ounce ...............get it FIXED normal my @#$#

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
dougnc said:

Its Normal for a Service guy to make stuff up when they don't really know what they're taling about

·
Registered
197 Posts
WOW!!! engines should not use that much oil ,during break in ,a little ,during break in on a 2 stroke maybe that amount! there also should not be a "normal seapage amount"the oil is supposed to stay in the engine ,thats why they call them seals!

:ssr

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dragon2U said:
My GM cars have never used oil between changes though I do know that sometimes it does happen (I think Dodge had a major problem for a few years) and that some advertise that it is okay for up to 2 quarts between oil changes. On new engines it's mostly due to too much slack in the piston bore area that causes an issue with the oil rings.

Is it a real probelm? Maybe. There could be alot of factors that affect oil consumption. Here's a post about a problem that the Corvette Z06's had awhile back:
http://www.c5registry.com/2k2z06/page5.htm

:seeya
And the article clearly says that over 800 miles per quart is not a problem.

"Other customers say, ‘No. That’s why I bought my ‘Vette. I’m gonna drive it the way I wanna drive it.’ If so, that’s fine. If you’re getting 500-800 miles per quart, that’s too much and we’re going to swap the rings out in that engine."

·
Registered
217 Posts
You have a problem. When the LS1 first came out a lot of them had this problem (CAMERO) not anymore. That dealer is full of BS!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts