Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
SSR Pit Crew
2004 UV
9,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the :ssr in at 7:00 a.m. today, one week since I got it back from the cooling fan being fixed with the check engine light on. Was ready by the time I got off work at 2:30...work order reads:

CUST STATES CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON
1202 REPAIRED OPEN CIRCUIT IN SIGNAL WIRE
492. CLEARED CODES

SCANNED COMPUTER SYSTEM, COUND (FOUND?) MASS AIR FLOW SE NSOR CODE. CHECKED POWER AND GROUND TO SENSOR, CHECK OK. FOUND OPEN IN SIGNAL WIRE CIRCUIT 492 BETWEEN ECM AND MAF SENSOR. REPAIRED HARNESS AT MASS AIR FLOW SENSOR YELLOW WIRE CONNECTOR. ROAD TESTED AND CLEARED CODES.

Does this mean that possibly someone forgot to reattach a wire after fixing the cooling fan issue last week? Or could this mean something else entirely? Didn't have a chance to meet with tech today.

Thanks
Randi :seeya artsmart

P.S. drove home nicely although it had been sitting in sun so long that it took 20 miles to cool down somewhat...hot, humid day!

·
Registered
61 Posts
It sounds like you had a bad connector at the MAF sensor and the tech repaired it. Could it be related to the fan work?? I'm not sure. It depends on what all they took apart when they did the fan work.

Sometimes these connectors can go bad and/or get something caught in them.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,101 Posts
This is a bit worrisome, when coupled with info I got from another pretty reliable aftermarket source.

That source said that in the course of monitoring underhood temperatures for an aftermarket accessory project, they found that the MAF was generating a distorted output signal which they traced to overheated wiring at that sensor due to the underhood temperature. It is POSSIBLE that the open connection the tech claims he found was caused by heat. The conditions my source was testing under were fairly adverse: ambient outisde temperature was approaching 100 degrees.

IF this proves to be a repeatable problem, we might want to consider insulating that wiring via reflective tape or conduit?

Jim G

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.