Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the same own as you, the Yank Thruck Thruster 3000.

Mine should be here on Friday.

I was wondering if you put yours in yet and what you think of it so far.

MJJ

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Matjow: Don't kid yourself about the 4L65-E being significantly stornger than the 4L60-E. It's stronger in the same sense that Barney Fife was stronger than Opie.:) Neither of thse two trannys was built to handle an LS2 let alone a supercharged one!

Joe is correct. I have been waiting to see if I can get the transmission strenghtening done at the same time as the converter, and in fact, I have been talking to Greg at Phoenix, and emailed him again earlier tonight. Stand by.

Any interest in a group buy?

The "right"package is going to be well into the 2's, but worth it. Joe and I have talked about it quite a bit, and Joe had this type of work done on a Silverado SS he owned before. That was apaprently an even much heavier vehicle than the SSR, and the tranny buildup made it bulletproof. Joe, want to chime in?

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
:agree

I would not trust the automatic in stock form whether a 4L60/65 or 70 with the power these SSR's are putting down with the superchargers. I have recommended to a few about the builds that will ensure that you wont have a problem with the transmission. BobA fried his transmission 1 week after installing the supercharger. He was able to make the first pass at the drag strip and said it was slipping on the top end. He lined it up for a burnout and restage and it gave out. Chief is also doing a similar build on his supercharged 05 along with Ross. It is money in the bank as far as I am concerned.

I did a similar build with the same torque converter on my 2004 Silverado SS and loved the added power to the ground. The only programming we did was to remove the torque management completely. I am not so sure now that is such a good idea, I was experimenting at that time and wanted it as fast as possible without going into the engine. I never had a problem but only put about 10,000 miles on it that way. It would run around town and tow like it did stock until you put your foot into it. I could brake drag it at a light and get the tires to chirp on takeoff even with all wheel drive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts