Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals: I need a CLEAN dyno chart for a supercharged 03 / 04 SSR to use in Chapter 18 of my book.

The ideal dyno chart would have the following features:

- 03 / 04 SSR (05 / 06 would be a second choice for technical comparison reasons)

- Clean purely stock baseline dyno run (NO mods before the supercharger)

- Clean supercharged dyno run with NO other mods to muddy the water

- Ambient conditions (temp, humidity, barometric pressure) reasonably close for both baseline and supercharged runs (i.e. correction factors are similar)

- Correction factors relatively small (1.00 to 1.05)

- Steady state versus inertia dyno ideally (i.e. Mustang, Factory Pro, etc. versus Dynojet - just for technical comparison reasons)

- Bitmap electronic image (.bmp or .jpg file extension) OR Dynajet file format if no steady state dyno data available.

I have some dyno charts available to me, but they all have some deviations from the above. A clean one would be great.

Here's your chance to get your SSR's dyno chart into "The SSR Experience" and get some free analysis.

Email me at [email protected]

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
JimG - You are more then welcome to use the dyno sheet that was posted for my SSR. It was completely stock before and after the installation of the supercharger, with the exception of the air-hog filter.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 2005ssr6speed! Your chart is also good because I have one that is likewse from Magnuson for a stock 03 SSR that was then superchareged by them. Nice comparison.

I really need an 03 / 04 supercharged one through too, as the differences between the 03 / 04 and 05 /06 supecharged will make some good points.

Jim G

·
Registered
269 Posts
Jim,

Even though we have our difference in opinion, I have forwarded you several runs on a dyojet. This is with the eddy current so it is acctually very close to Mustang. Jim, it is completely stock.

I am having a true dual exhaust added Monday. Xpipe and two Magnaflow mufflers. I will be making another run on the Mustang afterwards, but then its not stock.

Scott

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1hot12c: Irec eived the 5 runs, Scott. But, they are all "after" runs - no "before runs". Did you not get a baseline run before the supercharger install?

It wll be REAL interesting to see the effects of your exhaust changes. I predict a noticeable increase, even though you have specified dual exhaust only, not headers. I base this on the fact that the combination of my headers AND dual exhaust made my LS6 give my SSR 58 rwhp on the MTI dyno instead of the 32 to 33 expected from the cam alone otherwise. It will be useful to compare the impact to Rainwater's chart, which unfortunately added both the supercharger and the headers at the same time without separate dyno runs.

You said "eddy current mode" but the files you sent me are in the new Dynojet software, AND they appear to show inertia runs (there are even gear shifts occurring during a couple of them). So, even though that specific Dynojet dyno apaprently has the edyy current option, was it in fact run in inertia mode for your testing?

You say above that after the exhaust work is done, you will re-test on a "Mustang" dyno which is a steady state dyno. So, not the same dyno? Why?

Jim G

·
Registered
269 Posts
Long story

Gear changes because the trans downshifted once and I think we did a second gear run and the dyno shows the lock up. The last run was the one after all of the tuning.

You have a base run I had sent you with only the Predator tune last month. As no one thinks these really do much, it should be pretty close.

Mustang run. As I had mentioned in earlier posts, the shop that installed the supercharger had a broken strap and I wanted to know if the out of box tune was safe. I went to see James at RWTD, now a supporting member here; they have the dyno jet. Sooooooo TPC still owes me a dyno run and that's the Mustang dyno. I hope this makes sense. We have a lot of local talent and I have made some good friends that have really made this a fun project.

I think the true duals will help and if I feel that I need them, headers might come next.

I am researching cams at this point as I really like the sound and performance of wilder grinds than are normally installed as an upgrade in the ls1. I might not be able to get what I want because I still want to drive this thing everywhere. Vacum is a small problem, but lif and duration without piston modification might be an obsticle also. I should just leave it alone. It runs and performs great as it is.

Hope this helps.

Scott

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1hot12c: I want to make sure I have this correct:

Your original baseline run, which I did find in my email records, was done on the Mustang steady state dyno. The supercharged run was done on the Dynjet in steady state mode, but clearly a different dyno with a different calibration. That pretty kills a "before" and "after" comparison. Sigh.

About the only thing that could save it is if the Mustang dyno shop gave you a dyno run BEFORE they do the exhaust work, as well as after. That would provide 3 comparable runs (assuming the weather isn't wildly different for the 3):

- Baseline with Predator tune
- Supercharged
- Superhcharged plus dual exhaust

I don't suppose that would be pssible would it?

Looking at your baseline run, you had an indicated 275.5 hp, wth SAE or STD bnot specified (makes a difference) and no ambient conditions specified.

But, that is a very high number for a stock 03 / 04 SSR (Others that have been sent me are a lot lower - one of them down at 238), so either the Predator tune gave you some tangible benefits, or the TPC dyno calibration is optimistic, or the TPC number is a STD one while the Dynojet number is an SAE one, or most likely some combination of all 3, because none of the 3 is likely to make THAT big a difference by itself.

You see why I am always saying that it is very rare to find truly usable, accurate, and comparable dyno numbers?

Jim G

·
Registered
269 Posts
Agreed

The Mustang was std I belive.

They might let me do a before and after exhaust run. I'll see. I to would like to see the difference from the baseline run on the Mustang. I'm trying to line up James from RWTD to be there with his laptop to retune after exhaust.

Let ya know..

Scott

1 - 10 of 10 Posts