Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on another idea.

I need recommendation from people who have experience with - preferably PERSONAL experience with - engine cooling fans.

I need brand names of ones known to be GOOD or BAD in terms of reliability and longevity, WHEN USED IN A 100% or CLOSE TO 100% DUTY CYCLE. (100% duty cycle means the fan is running virtually all the time once the engine has warmed up from a cold start).

Exprience with street rods that have tight engine compartments and lousy cooling is particularly relevant, as this is where a fan really does get to work close to 100% of the time.

If I can get some good (and bad - to avoid) brand names, I can take it from there on specific models and CFM.

I am particuarly interested in fans of 14" diamater or smaller.

Jim G

·
Registered
421 Posts
Zirgo

I went with Zirgo because their CFM ratings "blew" everybody else away. No one else was even close. Summit Racing is now starting to carry SOME of the Zirgo line.

Mine has been running full cycle for at least 6 months down here in hot Tampa, Florida.

I don't even think about my fan or my engine temp anymore. I usually run between 190 and 200 and have not hit 210 since installing my Zirgo fan.

I actually may even have an extra 16" fan in my attic. I think I bought 2 of them - just in case. But fan number 1 is still going stong with no problems.

Matt

·
Registered
436 Posts
Jim

The fan projects kind of came and went. No one completed the tests and reported back to the forum.

Is this your next research project? Will it be an addition to your book?

Look forward to knowing what to do to mine before summer gets here, as it likes to run near 235*( and the dealer says everything is fine ) in the winter.

Thanks

Skip

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SA13355: Give me a few weeks. Evaluation and testing will be underway soon (if getting a job doesn't interfere!:) )

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I use Flex-a-lite fans with my supercharged Avalanche. They work great!:thumbs

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
SA13355: Give me a few weeks. Evaluation and testing will be underway soon (if getting a job doesn't interfere!:) )

Jim G

Jim didn't you get the notice? You have a job and it's called SSR Research.​

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SS MY R: And I LOVE that SSR research job, BUT it pays kinda low.:)

My mortgage company, auto loan companies, and son at college seem to not understand that a person's calling doesn't always pay real well.:) They all insist on me having a "real" job.

Jim G

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
JimGnitecki said:

My mortgage company, auto loan companies, and son at college seem to not understand that a person's calling doesn't always pay real well.:) They all insist on me having a "real" job.

Jim G

Have you tried selling your eBook on eBay? You might be able to make enough to pay for gas for one SSR get together :)

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
JimGnitecki said:

Jim G
OK! OK! You win. I'll help you buy some gas for your SSR. What do I have to do to get your ebook. Hurry up before I change my mind. I still thought you did all of this research for the good of the company. :glol :glol :glol

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SS My R:

To buy a copy, send $30 in one of the following two ways:

1. Go to PayPal, select "Send money" tab, and follow directions to send $30 to my PayPal account, which is:
[email protected]

Be sure to use the "Notes" field to show the email address to which you want the e-book emailed.

or

2. Send a check to:

James Gnitecki
15305 Gebron Drive
Austin, TX, 78734

and again, be sure to include the email address to which you want the e-book emailed.

Or, if you want all the shameless marketing info, see my ad in the "For sale" section of this forum:

http://www.ssrfanatic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=69594#post69594

As far as doing all this research and work: Yes, I'm oretty enthused about what I regard as a GREAT vehicle produced by a company that flashed brilliance and boldness when it did so, but I've been far from alone on this effort.

My wife has been very patient with this SSR affliction. Remember that she approved my traveling to MTI in Atlanta and then Homecoming, while I was already unemployed with a large negative monthly cashflow AND a son at college (THAT costs me another almost $1800 per month!), because she has faith that the book will somehow miraculously actually make some money eventually (VERY eventually), and because she knows I was pretty driven to write it. She actually edited and proofed each of the 320 pages while holding down a fulltime job and taking care of our other Autistic son.

Dan O'Toole on this forum very generously did backup proofing AND conversion to pdf format for me, for each of the 20 chapters. He is also trying to get two of his client companies, who are publishing companies, to take a look at it.

I have been promised test parts by a number of people recently to potentially solve a number of the issues discussed at long length on this forum, and if those test parts and solutions work, I'll be writing about those here on the forum so everyone can benefit.

I've had GM-connected people who have shared valuable insights because they want to help.

I've been operating on less than a shoestring budget on all this, but I feel I have been blessed - even with the unemployment. You gotta have faith. It's not just an expression. The physical reality SEEMS real, but it's the spiritual reality that IS real.

Jim G:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts