Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those who do not yet know it, I recently completed an e-book called "The SSR Experience". The book is a complete guide to choosing, buying, living with, and modifying an SSR. It runs 320 pages of strong, no fluff content. The book is beautifully illustrated with 113 very high quality digital photos, plus 21 graphs, charts, dyno curves, and G-Tech screen shots - most of them also in full color. All dyno curves and G-Tech screen shots are fully explained. This book is THE (and ONLY!) definitive guide to selecting, owning, and modifying an SSR.

It has been "published" as an e-book in order to both make it financially feasible and to get it into everyone's hands as soon as possible. It is sent out in Adobe Acrobat format, so that virtually anyone's computer can open it. Most computers have Acrobat already, but for those that do not, Adobe Acrobat Reader software is available FREE from Adobe, and instructions on where to get it are included with your e-copy of the book.

The Table of Contents is:

Introduction
Chapter 1: What In The World IS the SSR Supposed To Be?
Chapter 2: Important Aspects in How The SSR Was Engineered for Production
Chapter 3: Reasons to Buy an SSR
Chapter 4: Reasons to NOT to Buy an SSR
Chapter 5: Which Model Year? 03/04 or 05/06?
Chapter 6: Differences & Similarities Between 03/04s and the 05/06s
Chapter 7: What to Look for When Buying Either New or Used
Chapter 8: The Special Situation of Trading an 03/04 on an 05/06 Model
Chapter 9: Understanding, & Living With, The Quirks
Chapter 10: Working As a Team With GM & Your Chevrolet Dealership
Chapter 11: Keep it Stock, or Modify It?
Chapter 12: The Range of Potential Modifications, & Their Practicality, REAL Effectiveness, & Rough Costs
Chapter 13: Working As a Team With Your Speed Shop & Custom Tuner
Chapter 14: Simple & (Usually) Reversible Modifications
Chapter 15: Moderate and Practically Non-reversible Modifications
Chapter 16: Major Modifications
Chapter 17: Understanding the SSR's Onboard Computer & Its Agenda
Chapter 18: Dyno Data
Chapter 19: Actual Street Performance Data
Chapter 20: The importance of Staying Connected With Other SSR Owners

Cost is $30. You can buy one of 2 ways:

1. Go to PayPal.com, select "send money", and send $30 to my PayPal account:
[email protected]

Be sure to use the notes field to include the email address to which you want the releases sent!

or

2. Send a $30 check by mail to:
James Gnitecki
15305 Gebron Drive
Austin, TX 78734

Again, be sure to include the email address to which you want the releases sent!

I continue to provide lots of free information in my postings on the board, but the book allowed me to provide WAY more information and detail on each subject, in a well organized manner, that builds towards logical conclusions. It also allows you to get detailed answers right away without waiting for a relevant post.

For those who like to preview a book, send me an email and I'll send you a free 30 page sampling of the content that will give you a taste for the level of detail.

Jim G
[email protected]
Tel. 612-270-7645

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
When does the movie come out????? :lol :lol :lol :lol :glol :glol

Jim

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
SSR Book

Jim,

Once the book is purchased, can it be printed chapter by chapter or do you have to print the entire book at one time. I am aftaid that would be a load on any printer. Thought it would be easier to purchase when completed, now wondering if I did the right thing.

Also, instead of printing, can it be veiwed on your computor when needed?

Will await your reply.

Marc

·
Registered
374 Posts
bcbear10 said:
Jim,

Once the book is purchased, can it be printed chapter by chapter or do you have to print the entire book at one time. I am aftaid that would be a load on any printer. Thought it would be easier to purchase when completed, now wondering if I did the right thing.

Also, instead of printing, can it be veiwed on your computor when needed?

Will await your reply.

Marc
You can view it on screen at your leisure (I've accessed the files on my laptop over my home wireless network so I can read it in the "library.")

Acrobat allows you to print out a page, or range of pages, should you want a hard copy. One thing that you may consider doing is to take the PDF files over to Kinkos and have them print it out on a color laser printer for an archive copy. I own a color laser printer, and the book looks great when printed out on quality laser paper (most office supply stores have a glossy laser paper that works great.)

I printed out several copies of the part in the book about Cactus Car Wash when I was in there last time for a wash n wax, and man, from the write up people to the cashiers to the guy who takes your claim ticket before you drive away, they ALL loved seeing the mention in Jim's book!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Donnysan: Thanks for explaining in my absence!

bcbear10: Yes, Donnysan is correct. You can print 1 or multiple pages, as few or many as you want, anytime. This is how for example you can print out the "checklists" when and as you need them. You can also prtin them in color or black and white, as needed.

I personally printed each chapter multiple times for editing and proofing, and I have printed out some of the dyno curves and G-Tech charts multiple times, as needed for different purposes. This is MUCH more versatile than a hardcopy book, AND you can carry it on trips on your laptop,rather than physically. In fact, I WROTE it on a latop computer - a tiny 1.7 lb Sony X505! That is my ONLY computer.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
JimGnitecki said:
Donnysan: Thanks for explaining in my absence!

bcbear10: Yes, Donnysan is correct. You can print 1 or multiple pages, as few or many as you want, anytime. This is how for example you can print out the "checklists" when and as you need them. You can also prtin them in color or black and white, as needed.

I personally printed each chapter multiple times for editing and proofing, and I have printed out some of the dyno curves and G-Tech charts multiple times, as needed for different purposes. This is MUCH more versatile than a hardcopy book, AND you can carry it on trips on your laptop,rather than physically. In fact, I WROTE it on a latop computer - a tiny 1.7 lb Sony X505! That is my ONLY computer.

Jim G

Thanks Jim. Will do the paypal thing later today.

Marc (bcbear)

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

THANKS JIM …. Colourful pictures and sharp clear graphs.

·
Registered
60 Posts
ssr book

hey jim going to order your book this eveing, i will be useing pay-pal look forward to reading it. burt

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Jim how does your book compare to the SSR An American Original book? My salesman sent me the book about a month after I purchased my SSR because I had asked for the CD Info package but it didn't come with the 06's. He also sent me another book spiral type with six sections on everything about the vehicle plus a ton of beautiful pictures and also a real nice CD hidden in a compartment in the back of the book. The CD had all kind of images and information that was in the spiral book. Both books came in sealed corrugated boxes. I still may get yours.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
Ha Ha

YES GOOD STUFF .... The first time he sent it, it all came through except the graphs and pictures. He was good enough to send it again and it all came through. That post of mine was to let him know all was here and complete. Thanks for your silent help in this project of his.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
SSMyR: My book differs completely from both "The SSR - An American original" and the sales and tech data that your dealer provided.

Gary's excellent book "The SSR - An American original" chronicles the history of how the SSR came to be. It does not go beyond that. It also had to be consistently very "complimentary" to GM as Gary depended on GM for almost all his source information, for obvious reasons.

The information that your dealer gave you falls into two categories; GM advertising material, and GM "light" technical info, both for use by Chevy salepeople to make them more knowledgeable and effective in selling the SSR. It was NOT written from an owner prospective.

My book has a completely different focus. I cover the entire SSR "experience", from describing what it is (and is not), through selecting model year, whether or not to modify, resale issues, and how to modify. There is an entire chapter devoted to "menuing" the better modifications, and then detailed chapters that follow which describe how and why to do each mod.

The most important difference is that being an independent reviewer, I was not restrained from describing the minor "quirks" that the SSR came to market with. Although the tone of my coverage is very positive (the SSR is a GREAT vehicle after all!), I am sure you can understand that no GM-produced or sanctioned publication will ever provide a "consumer evaluation" of both strengths and weaknesses, as my book does. Knowing the quirks in advance, you will know how to handle them as they arise, and how to get them properly corrected where there is an identified solution. In addition to a host of smaller issues, the well documented cooling fan, driveshaft, gearing, and transmission issues are all covered extensively. I also point out exactly how the 03 / 04 powertrain differs from the 05 / 06 powertrain, and how the 03 / 04 ca be upgraded to 05 / 06 specs or beyond.

Because I am an actual owner, and because I actually DID many of the mods described in the book on my own SSR (including an 85 hp increase in rear wheel power!), you know the information is real and reliable, not some advertising copy from some aftermarket company that has never actually lived with an SSR. I actually use my SSR daily, as it is my ONLY transportation (4-wheeled, that is!).

Also, check out my posting history on this board.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Also forgot to mention that my salesman sent with the books a Greenlight
2005 Allstate 400 1:64th scale : Die Cast Pace Car. It's two tone with a copper bottom and blue upper half with all of the Allstate and Chevy insignia.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I offer ONLY the e-book with each order, but it's better than the 1/64 scale diecast model!!:)

Jim G

1 - 20 of 23 Posts