Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you know that our very own Fanatic, "Texster68" (Chris Allen, in Austin TX) offers a set of products called a "Stabilissr" kit for our SSRs. Yesterday, my SSR got "Stabilissred" by Chris himself. I like the product and the results enough to post about it. Using some of Chris's own words from a prior description he published here on the board earlier this year, and adding some of my own words, here is what this product is and does:

The StabiliSSR is a set of hidden support hardware for either or both the front and rear bumpers / fascias of a Chevrolet SSR. The bumpers are made of a flexible plastic that has considerable movement while driving. You can see the movement by grabbing hold of the bumper below the front running lights, or behind the rear wheels or license plate, and observing the flex in the system. You can also guage the amount of movement by turning on your running lights at night (center button on headlight switch) and watching the amount of jiggle that you see in the headlight pattern. If you ever drive in another vehicle alongside your own SSR, you will see the rear fenders behind the wheels flapping a bit. In addition, the inadequate support of the rear bumper is what causes the left and right exhaust tips to look non-symmetrical, as the bumper distorts in shape as it is exposed to summer heat and winter cold. As a result, one exhaust tip will often look "shorter" than the other as a result! (The REAL problem is that the bumper has distorted due to lack of support)

What the StabiliSSR kits do is connect the lower part of the bumpers to the frame, giving a completely stable and solid look and feel to the car. The StabiliSSR mounts are custom formed to match the curve of the bottom of the bumper and are made of .125" aluminum and will never rust. The brackets are bolted behind the bumpers and are completely out of view unless you crawl under the truck and look behind the bumpers.

There is a separate FRONT kit and REAR kit. In the FRONT kit, there are two assembles, one for each side of the vheicle. In the REAR kit, there are 3 assemblies: left, right, and center. The left and right ones stabilize the left and right fenders, while the center one stablizes the rear center AND allows you to ADJUST to finally get the left and right sides of the rear bumper SYMMETRICAL.

All hardware required for the upgrade is included. You will need a drill, screw driver, and wrenches, and the installation will take about40 to 60 minutes (I saw that Chris gets them done front and back in about 40 minutes total. Your mileage may vary, especially if beer refreshments are involved). Complete instructions and templates for drilling into the rear frame support and into the HIDDEN lip of the front bumper are included. Minimal mechanical skills are required. Chris has installed these on his own SSR and taken it over 100MPH to make sure that the system will hold and not damage the bumper (see the sacrifices he makes so the rest of us can benefit from his scientific testing?). These two kits work great and totally eliminate the bumper shake that the stock setup has. Again, the installation is easy. Bring your SSR to Austin, Tx and Chris will do the install for free, it's that easy. (He also provided beer yesterday!)

I watched Chris do mine and Jim Kelly's SSRs, front and back, and the install seems as easy as Chris has claimed. A set of drive-on ramps for the front end work IS an advantage, but apparently not essential.

The only glitch we ran into at all was that Jim Kelly's 03 had a "different" left rear exhaust support than other SSRs, and that is important because Chris uses the same mount point to avoid drilling another hole. Jim K's 03 had what looked like a rubber vibration absorber where the rest of us have simple metal brackets at that one point. My theory is that this absorber was one of the early in-the-field retroactive repairs made to early SSRs to try to diminish the exhaust resonance that appears on many SSRs at certain engine rpm. We all got a laugh out of the fact that it uses a small hose clamp as part of its mounting scheme. (Makes our proposed idea to use s.s. hose clamps to dampen driveshaft ringing seem "more factory"!!).

When Chris was done with my SSR, sure enough, all four fenders were much more rigidly held in place, and the rear license plate bracket no longer "moves". The adjustments to make the rear bumper symmetrical are done via hidden adjustments to the StabiliSSR bracket that controls the mounting of the center of the rear bumper, and that bracket is MUCH more impressive than the non-adjustable puny factory one. You indeed cannot see any external evidence that the StabiliSSR brackets are there. And, the components are alloy, so non-corrosive.

On my own SSR, we could NOT make the exhaust tips symmetrical for a "dumb" reason: When the guys at MTI did my custom dual exhaust, they re-used the stock chrome exhaust tips, and made the driver side exhaust pipe LONGER than the passenger side, in order to compensate for the non-symmetrical rear bumper! (My stock unsupported bumper had taken a "set" with the driver side further back than the passenger side) So, after Chris "corrected" my rear bumper to proper "squareness", the driver side tip sticks out just a bit more than the passenger side. I told Chris I preferred to have the BUMPER symmetrical, and could live with the "deviant" driver side exhaust tip!

I think this is a really nice idea, and VERY well executed. Good concept, good design, and good choice of durable and non-intrusive parts. I would think that it cannot possiby be good for those fenders and bumper to be flapping at highway speed as they do without these supports, and the parts not flapping around certainly LOOKS a lot better too!

Neat idea and product Chris!

Chris can be reached at [email protected] or 512-288-4801.

Jim G

·
OP
8,226 Posts
what he said..

... I agree and to summarize what JimG said: They're great!

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,194 Posts
Me Too

I put on the front hardware and love it too. Nice product Chris.

I made 2 modifications to the StabiliSSR hardware that I think add a finished look, but take a small amount of time.

1) After installing, I removed and painted all the aluminum hardware with satin finish black. Re-installed, it disappears.

2) After removing the factory nut plate from the radiator support, I installed it onto the StabiliSSR plate. This allowed me to re-use the OEM bolt through the hole in the original location.

Best Regards,

Mike

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had been reluctant above to "overstate" my concerns on the flapping of the body panels at highway speeds, but a PM this morning made me re-think that.

John M wrote to me that he and at least one other SSR owner have detected fine cracks in the paint in the body panels that flex.

I don't know enough about paint to know if this could for certain be caused by long-term flapping of the part at speed, but it sure sounds like a good possibility.

If this is indeed what is happening, the StabliSSR kits become an even better idea.

Jim G

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
I went out and pulled and pushed on my front and rear fascias. I noticed NO unusual movement that would have me concerned. Did they change the mounting on later model SSrs?

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ricochet: No, no changes to later models. You are simply not moving them at the correct flexible points or not nearly with enough force. All 4 corners visibly flap or vibrate on the highway to some extent.

You may not be understanding: they are not "loose", just "flexible". That flexibility is enough to be a problem at highway speeds.

Have a spouse or friend drive in front of, behind, and alongside your SSR sometime, and have them look at:

- headlight and fog light movement and non-symmetry at highway speed (driver side light will be brighter or dimmer appearing than passenger, and sometimes you will actually see "bounce" as the mounting panels deflect slightly at speed

- Watch the rear license plate / backup light assembly from the rear, ESPECIALLY if you have an aftermarket billet plate that reflects sunlight or headlight beams well. You will see LOTS of movement evidenced by inconsistent reflection pattern

- Watch the rear fenders right behind the rear tires, and the internal "mudguards". Both will visibly "vibrate" or "flap" at speed.

Jim G

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Just wash it you can see it move. Jim, I also talked with someone about the paint chipping on the rear facia, I have small lines in the point of my front facia and I think it is due to the speed of me driving :lol and the flexiable facia. Not pretty at all. Going to get both front and rear stabilissr's!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Great Sales Pitch

I'm In! I seen the fronts when they were for sale on Ebay for $40.00 how much for the set of 4 ?

Regards,

Tom

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Tom...."Texster68" who sells them on ebay is a member of this forum. If you PM him he can set you up with whatever you need.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Registered
46 Posts
StabiliSSR still available? Help please!

Ricochet: No, no changes to later models. You are simply not moving them at the correct flexible points or not nearly with enough force. All 4 corners visibly flap or vibrate on the highway to some extent.

You may not be understanding: they are not "loose", just "flexible". That flexibility is enough to be a problem at highway speeds.

Have a spouse or friend drive in front of, behind, and alongside your SSR sometime, and have them look at:

- headlight and fog light movement and non-symmetry at highway speed (driver side light will be brighter or dimmer appearing than passenger, and sometimes you will actually see "bounce" as the mounting panels deflect slightly at speed

- Watch the rear license plate / backup light assembly from the rear, ESPECIALLY if you have an aftermarket billet plate that reflects sunlight or headlight beams well. You will see LOTS of movement evidenced by inconsistent reflection pattern

- Watch the rear fenders right behind the rear tires, and the internal "mudguards". Both will visibly "vibrate" or "flap" at speed.

Jim G
So here I come along 4-5 years later asking, do you or anyone out there know if the StabiliSSR are still available? I tried sending a PM to Texster68 and no answer (Bueller...Bueller...Bueller). My lower driving lights dance and jitter on every bump and I'd be very interested in both front and rear set ups.

Little help...anyone?
Thanks!

·
OP
8,226 Posts
So here I come along 4-5 years later asking, do you or anyone out there know if the StabiliSSR are still available? I tried sending a PM to Texster68 and no answer (Bueller...Bueller...Bueller). My lower driving lights dance and jitter on every bump and I'd be very interested in both front and rear set ups.

Little help...anyone?
Thanks!
You can also email Chris...it is listed in earlier posts in this thread.

·
AZ SSR Daily Driver
496 Posts
Got them on my truck!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have noticed these too.

The night I purchased my R. The one thing that stood out was the right exhaust tip was longer than the left. Now it all comes together.

Hook me up too. :black:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts