Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's a thought I had yesterday, our cars are considered as "moderns" in the car show world... as in Good Guy car shows that only allow pre 73 cars. I certainly don't think they fit with the tuner type cars or several other new modern cars. Sure there are open car shows for all classes but we have a unique slot here with our retro concept car that became a reality. Another car that fits this modern yet retro style is the Prowler. It too has a strong following and I wonder if events that would bring the two together could ever be a thing. If you wanted to stretch it the HHR could be in there, had one, but it doesn't seem to have quite as strong of following. Then to go even further you could say the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger have all three gotten in on the retro to modern side of things. Could be an interesting type of event. Be surprised if it ever took hold though.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
977 Posts
Stepchild, coincidentally, I attended a car show recently that had a judging class for “Modern-Retro Design” vehicles specifically for the mid-2000’s vintage cars you list (Charger, Challenger, Mustang, SSR, Prowler, Thunderbird, HHR, etc).

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
"Build it and they will come" My question is do they all have a National Web Site like the SSR where you could "advertise" it ??? I think a National Modern-Retro Design Show would be very, very interesting, say from Friday through Sunday or Thursday through Saturday night. When you think about it ... not a bad idea Stepchild.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well I haven't seen that class yet myself, no surprise considering where I live though. Just goes to show if one person is thinking of something, most likely there are several others too. I forgot about the t-bird, then there's the new Beetle, Mini Cooper, PT Cruiser and can't believe I forgot the king of them all... the Ford GT, that's one awesome retro. And yes there are forums for all of the cars mentioned, a lot of which are run by the same company that runs ours.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's a thought... a Route 66 cruise that cars from various regions could join in for a couple of days or the whole route. Since it's a public road no retro or retro fan would be excluded, tired of that exclusion thing. Not trying to brag here but I kinda surprised myself when I got to thinking that I have owned four retro cars a motorcycle and a couple of bicycles. Didn't realize how into it that I was.

·
Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
977 Posts
I found the registration flyer for the Memorial Day 2018 Show that lists the Retro Class ... specific to the 2005 model year. Likely because that is the year the first "retro Mustang" was available.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,617 Posts
what a cool idea, don't forget the Viper, i'm not sure its retro but its a bad ass ride.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,921 Posts
I'm working with our Club to add a HALO vehicle class to cover low production late model retro vehicles specifically the SSR, Late T-Birds, Prowler, GT40, Late GTO, Z8, SLS AMG Gullwing, continuation Aluminum bodied Shelby AC Cobras and working on a few others. We are not including HHR or PT Cruiser or any other mass produced retro vehicles.
We always get a few of these show up at our shows and they really don't fit into any class. The SSRs end up competing with custom late model pickups.
Greg

·
Daily Driver
8,941 Posts
Trying to organize and unite these groups of nonconformists will put you squarely on the NSA radar.
If you suddenly disappear one day we'll look for you at Guantanamo. :shades:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts