Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
A62409 "she's real fine my 409" WELCOME, just had my roof top cylinders rebuilt by Zig in Florida. Keep in mind these unique little beauties are getting some age on them and "things" begin to happen. The ignition switch is one problem to look for and the transmission cable is another. But ... but, also keep in mind they are fun, fun, fun and definitely attention getters. especially the Slingshot Yellow ones !!! tennesseecozydog Murfreesboro, Tennessee 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 🇺🇸 (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)
Had a '62 Biscayne back in the day...Top 3 all-time cars for me - Isky 505, 5.38 gears and was a light to light racer and then I wrapped it around a pole 1/2 mile from my house = Totalled - Last time I drank & drive.

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,032 Posts
Another Buckeye Welcome and I hope you closed the deal this weekend! You are going to LOVE that PERMAGRIN! :giggle:

Reactions: A62409

·
Registered
04 Black, 05 Black, 05 Aqua Blur
5,291 Posts
Welcome to the group.
As for things to look for.
The cooling fan is probably the most common needed thing on the trucks. Not an issue of if but when it will go out. The best thing to do is get with @Mike in AZ through his website Simple Engineering. He has a couple of plug in play options to get you taken care of on the fan.
If it is an automatic the lower shifter bushing is a problem. A couple options you can put in another plastic one and wait for it to go out down the road. Or there is an upgrade kit that uses a stainless bolt and gets rid of the plastic.
Heat from the cats can cause the antilock brake module to cause the light to come on and need repaired. Easy enough to get done several on here do it. Mike also has a heat shield to help protect it. Simple and cheap upgrade.
You didn't say how many miles it has but I would also look at the upper control arm bushings. They seem to go through them.
Depending on miles check the age of the tires to make sure if it is a low mileage truck it doesn't still have factory tires on it.
Cooling system is the next thing I would look at if you have the service history on it see when it was flushed and taken care of. If no history I would think about going through it.

After all that checks out then there are a lot of things you can upgrade. How your going to drive it can make a difference in what you will want to do for upgrades.
Good Luck on getting it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Welcome to the group.
As for things to look for.
The cooling fan is probably the most common needed thing on the trucks. Not an issue of if but when it will go out. The best thing to do is get with @Mike in AZ through his website Simple Engineering. He has a couple of plug in play options to get you taken care of on the fan.
If it is an automatic the lower shifter bushing is a problem. A couple options you can put in another plastic one and wait for it to go out down the road. Or there is an upgrade kit that uses a stainless bolt and gets rid of the plastic.
Heat from the cats can cause the antilock brake module to cause the light to come on and need repaired. Easy enough to get done several on here do it. Mike also has a heat shield to help protect it. Simple and cheap upgrade.
You didn't say how many miles it has but I would also look at the upper control arm bushings. They seem to go through them.
Depending on miles check the age of the tires to make sure if it is a low mileage truck it doesn't still have factory tires on it.
Cooling system is the next thing I would look at if you have the service history on it see when it was flushed and taken care of. If no history I would think about going through it.

After all that checks out then there are a lot of things you can upgrade. How your going to drive it can make a difference in what you will want to do for upgrades.
Good Luck on getting it.
20K miles, good info and thanks.

G

·
Registered
2003 SSR redline red, "Tupperware" bedliner
157 Posts
This is kinda like a birth announcement, so congratulations in advance. Welcome from Springfield MO. Also remember the frame and running gear is basically a trailblazer truck, so very dependable. Like others have said, they're approaching 20 yrs old, so technology is not as restrictive.
People have asked, is that a new model? and then the next question, is that from the '30s or '40s? Or, did you build that yourself?

·
Premium Member
2005 Chevrolet SSR manual transmission
915 Posts
Sadly my deal fell apart so I have started another search for an SSR that strikes my fancy...I'm determined.

Greg
There are always a number of nice, potentially updated trucks for sale here on the SSR Fanatic Forum. Don't neglect to click on the five lines at the top right of the page header and then go down to SSRs for sale. I am sure some of those who have one on the market will respond here in your thread. You might also start a new thread noting that you are in the market for one!

·
Registered
2006 Aqua Blur, auto
163 Posts
Welcome from Oklahoma. You have definitely come to the right place for tips and help to keep the permagrin shining. Just as others have stated, I'm a big fan of Simple Engineering upgrades. My roadster came with many and I've added many more. Also check out RetroCarGuy530 on YouTube. His videos are super helpful. (I also like ChrisFix on YouTube for general cleaning and maintenance tips.)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts