Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to transfer the title on my newly acquired SSR. Coming to Texas from Missouri. The Missouri title did not have the weight on it. Since it is a "pickup" the Kaufman County tax office required me to go get a certified weight. Looked a little strange down at the truck stop pulling the SSR on to the scales. LOL Total weight with about 1/4 tank of fuel was 4,620 lbs.

·
Premium Member
3,430 Posts
Crazy. Kathy's '04 came from Kentucky but didn't have to have it weighed. Different States, different strokes, I guess. Where did you go since the Knox Truck stop closed?

Nick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, Only the vehicle is new to Texas. Bought from an out of state dealer at Mecum. I'm a lifelong Texan born in Dallas but thanks for the welcome.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Here's how mine came out on 4 wheel digital race scales: RF 1239, LF 1267, RR 1140, LR 1147. 2506# front end weight - 52.3%. 2287# rear end weight - 47.7%. This was a 05 6 speed, minus driver, with rear carpet, running boards, wind screen, custom billet wheels, and with 1/2 tank of fuel. This was also with the top down. With the top up the front end weight shifted slightly to 52.6%. Total weight was 4793#.

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,621 Posts
Just checked my paperwork and it states 4760 pounds.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,447 Posts
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is listed on the Certification sticker on the Driver's door. This rating on a 2005 SSR is 6050 pounds. Maybe a snapshot of that, which also shows the VIN, could be offered with the registration application (too late now for you but may be of help to others). I have had the GVWR question asked of me by DMV officials who did not have the SSR information listed in their files.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) is listed on the Certification sticker on the Driver's door. This rating on a 2005 SSR is 6050 pounds. Maybe a snapshot of that, which also shows the VIN, could be offered with the registration application (too late now for you but may be of help to others). I have had the GVWR question asked of me by DMV officials who did not have the SSR information listed in their files.
Not sure about other states but in Texas they require the actual weight of the vehicle and not the GVWR to be on the title. Obviously the GVWR includes the vehicles "carrying capicity". Thanks, Jimmy

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Not sure about other states but in Texas they require the actual weight of the vehicle and not the GVWR to be on the title. Obviously the GVWR includes the vehicles "carrying capicity". Thanks, Jimmy
FWIW, we live in Houston and just got the title for our 06 Pac Blue 6spd yesterday and it shows 4600, same as 06 Silver auto. I know the rear end for the 6spd is about 100lb heavier than the rear end for automatic, but I’m not sure of the weight differential between the transmissions.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,365 Posts
When I had my truck on the scales at the local track about 6 years ago, it tipped the scales at 5250. Half tank of gas, spare tire kit, stuff in the back and supercharger. I know the s/c adds about 130 pounds and my butt in the seat was worth another 210.....

Mike

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,621 Posts
GVW is the vehicles weight and carrying capacity thus Gross vehicle weight. From the factory with no one in it weight was around 4700 pounds no driver and nothing in it.

·
Premium Member
1,854 Posts
Had to weigh mine to register in California as it came from Kentucky , about a half tank of gas 4748# at the truck scales without me in it.

·
Super Moderator
13,601 Posts
It seems SSR weights are all over the board
GM Build Sheets list them at 2747 kg (6056 lbs)
Somewhere along the way, they changed the Build Sheets from kg to lbs
My '06 6sp shows 6050 lbs
The VIN prior to mine is an auto - same 6050 lbs on the Build Sheet

The google 4711 lbs is incorrect.
I believe Snomuncher's info is correct, but 6050 lb is a freaking tank! HaHa!

·
BAD BOW TIE
8,621 Posts
It seems SSR weights are all over the board
GM Build Sheets list them at 2747 kg (6056 lbs)
Somewhere along the way, they changed the Build Sheets from kg to lbs
My '06 6sp shows 6050 lbs
The VIN prior to mine is an auto - same 6050 lbs on the Build Sheet

The google 4711 lbs is incorrect.
I believe Snomuncher's info is correct, but 6050 lb is a freaking tank! HaHa!
The 6050 number is the gross vehicle weight with a full load on. That is not the weight of the vehicle itself. They are not as heavy as you think at 4700 pounds. A new Camaro comes in at 3800 pounds and a new mustang at 3500 to 3800 depending on equipment.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts