Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to introduce myself to the forum; I've been a member for about a year and last Sunday morning travelled to Dallas to pick up my new '05 Silver 6 speed that I had purchased on eBay.

I spent the next 2 days driving from Dallas through Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Chicago, Lansing to Pt. Huron Michigan. US customs had a paperwork issue and I had to leave my SSR at the Chevy dealer for 3 days. I returned on Friday, claimed her back, crossed the border, paid a bunch of taxes and motored home to Newmarket, Ontario.

In total some 1600 miles with absolutely no problems. Temperatures were consistently in the 90s to 100s and my temperature gauge ran under 210 except for a 2 hour traffic jam in Chicago where the needle rose to about 220.

The air ran real cool to the point where I had to cycle if off/on during the evenings.

I look forward to meeting everyone at the homecoming next weekend.

Dan O'Toole (aka parothed97)

·
Jeff & Terri
1,120 Posts
Welcome to the family. :thumbs Will see you in Michigan for the Homecoming.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
welcome

Glad you got her home OK. I see it was a little more complicated for you to purchase than most of us on the site. Believe me, she is worth the effort it took to get her. Enjoy the ride and if you're ever back in Dallas maybe we can meet. I live just a few miles north of Dallas. :) :ssr

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
not many to be seen REBEL; in fact during the whold trip home I only saw 1 and that was in Bonham Texas about an hour after I took delivery....

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Ah! The Experience Begins.

What great way to start out, with a road trip. Bet you could have done without the separation anxiety at the border. You are going to love it! Welcome to the Cult!

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
JOHN317 said:
What great way to start out, with a road trip. Bet you could have done without the separation anxiety at the border. You are going to love it! Welcome to the Cult!
Don't you mean CLICK!!!:lol:lol Everyone is right you are going to love your SSR... Welcome to the site. Don't forget to share pictures :ssr

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When the SSR for first announced, RED was definitely going to be my choice but when silver was released and I saw how the front grill work blended in with the silver paint, I was hooked!

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Colorodo said:
Congrats. Do you have to change anything on it to bring it up to Canadian standards?
No, nothing was required except for a sticker that states the odometer is in miles and not kilometers. The biggest differences between regulations in Canada and the US are Daylight Running Lights (DRL) and crash tolerance for bumpers. The SSR has DRLs so that wasn't a problem and it also met crash test standards.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
parothed97 said:
No, nothing was required except for a sticker that states the odometer is in miles and not kilometers. The biggest differences between regulations in Canada and the US are Daylight Running Lights (DRL) and crash tolerance for bumpers. The SSR has DRLs so that wasn't a problem and it also met crash test standards.
I may be wrong...but

I believe that you can change from miles to km using the DIC.

Hit the Preferences Button on the left side of steering wheel (looks like lined paper) until Units of Measure comes up. Then hit the Select Button until you find the Units you want (I think there are 3 kinds).

Now if I'm right it would not only help you, but also some of those people who are just traveling through Canada and don't want speeding tickets. They could just change when the enter and change back when they leave (or vice versa to traveling to the US).

If I'm wrong, sorry for wasting your time.

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts

It will change instant mpg/liter, distance traveled and such, but no current running speed. :flag

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
For those that haven't yet made the connection, this is Dan O'Toole writing thsi post. He is the one who has volunteered to do the Word to pdf conversion for each chapter in "The SSR Experience"!

Jim G

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
GM seems to be slowly finding ways mitigate the differences between metric and english standards. For instance, the remtal Malabu I'm driving this week only had one set of numbers in the spedometer, but it also has an illuminated MPH marker that changes to KPH via the DIC, at which point the needle moves to the correct position to report KPH.

They just need to settle on one common way to handle the difference.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looking4_an_ssr said:
I may be wrong...but

I believe that you can change from miles to km using the DIC.

Hit the Preferences Button on the left side of steering wheel (looks like lined paper) until Units of Measure comes up. Then hit the Select Button until you find the Units you want (I think there are 3 kinds).

Now if I'm right it would not only help you, but also some of those people who are just traveling through Canada and don't want speeding tickets. They could just change when the enter and change back when they leave (or vice versa to traveling to the US).

If I'm wrong, sorry for wasting your time.

REBEL is correct, the computer related stuff (mpg/range/odometer etc) will convert just fine; unfortunately, the big 1 ( the SPEEDO) stays the same and you have to rely on looking at the small numbers to figure out how fast your going. I've seen other GM models that can convert the speedo using the DIC but the SSR isn't one of them. Not a big deal, we've been converting back and forth now for more than 25 years in Canada.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
welcome

Enjoy your new ride :thumbs You picked the best color, its soo easy to keep clean and seems to be the most rare. See you at Woodward.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts