Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had our local Chevrolet dealer (Hardy Chevrolet in Gainesville, GA) install the new Bilstein Touring Shocks front and back (bought them from Simple-Engineering. So far it looks and feels like they did a great job. With new tires last month (Goodyears in stock size) and the new shocks my 2006 Silver SSR is riding like a new 2006 SSR which is what I wanted. I also had the oil and filter changed and transmission fluid checked. I am selling my daily driver and my SSR will now become my only vehicle. I figure if I am going to be driving around I want it to be in this beauty. And, I can put the top down until it gets too cold here in Georgia.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
If you get the front end aligned make sure they use Dictators special settings numbers.

·
Ex SoCal Nut
10,149 Posts
I used to leave the house 0400 and drive top down and all 3 heaters ON. return trip at 1500 was top down and AC ON. had the windows UP both ways. I also have the Original WindsuppreSSR installed to keep the cabin stabilized. worked well since '06. it was a Daily for 7yrs and now is a grocery getter. i put the wind screen on so i could smoke, but, just Don't Fart... you can't out run it with the top down.... :eek:😂

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm....

@@@ - Nice improvements, indeed. Hope you got that front end alignment when you got the new tires.

Now enjoy your smo-o-o-oth riding Roadster!!! -
(y)
Yes, I had the front end alignment after the front shocks were installed (I got the tires last month). I haven't had a lot of time to drive since picking it up at about 4pm. But, I did go to a favorite spot and got the SSR up to about 90mph and it was a smooth ride. I was just thinking. What the fastest any SSR owner as ever done? I didn't want to get caught going that fast so I backed off pretty quickly and I wasn't even on an expressway. Just a long flat and wide bridge over Lake Lanier (no place for a cop to hide). Note, I had the top up.

Reactions: Firetruck

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WAY TO GO, @CarterSSR . . .

Sounds like you are having LOTS OF FUN.

! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: ! 👍 ! :cool: !
Living the SSR life. Lots of fun behide the wheel with the top down or up. Doophus, you have to be the longest user on this site. I'm surprised your VIN number isn't 00001.

Reactions: DOOPHUS

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used to leave the house 0400 and drive top down and all 3 heaters ON. return trip at 1500 was top down and AC ON. had the windows UP both ways. I also have the Original WindsuppreSSR installed to keep the cabin stabilized. worked well since '06. it was a Daily for 7yrs and now is a grocery getter. i put the wind screen on so i could smoke, but, just Don't Fart... you can't out run it with the top down.... :eek:😂
WOW, that was a lot to read. My first SSR (2004 Yellow) I put the Original WindsupperSSR on it. But since I am as bald as a pool cue I don't worry about messing up my hair, LOL. But yes putting the top DOWN when I fart is a lot better for everyone.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you get the front end aligned make sure they use Dictators special settings numbers.
I did get it aligned after the shocks but I didn't have Dictators special settings. Still goes down the road straight so all is fine.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
Might have premature tire wear not using the special numbers i am told. Chevy numbers they use are wrong and hard on tires. Good luck and have fun.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr.V and richsadams

·
Premium Member
2006 Pacific Blue 6 speed Custom
5,839 Posts
Keep an eye out for extreme wear on the inside edge of your front tires. Stand in front of your truck and you will see that your tires will be slightly toed in. Using Dicktator's alignment adjustments will change that angle and improve tire wear. We ALL have done this. ;)

·
Premium Member
2006 Silver automatic-vin #122786
129 Posts
We are on the same path!! Had the original tires replaced a couple weeks ago on my 06--Just got the Front shocks from SE--To be installed tomorrow-- rears are done-- The tires made a huge difference in the ride. Installed the rear crossmember from SE--It just gets better every week.
Steve

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We are on the same path!! Had the original tires replaced a couple weeks ago on my 06--Just got the Front shocks from SE--To be installed tomorrow-- rears are done-- The tires made a huge difference in the ride. Installed the rear crossmember from SE--It just gets better every week.
Steve
I will have to take a look at the rear crossmember. I have done the shocks (from SE) and tires from Discount Tires. I used the new Goodyear factory sized tires. Going to just drive it for a while now. Great FUN. As I remember, your 2006 Silver SSR has a VIN number very close to my 06 Silver SSR VIN 22812.

Reactions: richsadams

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,956 Posts
I would suggest going back for a realignment using Dicktator 's specs. As mentioned, the factory alignment specs will cause your front tires to wear on the inside. An alignment is a lot cheaper than new tires. Just saying.
Might have to hunt around for a shop that will adjust the numbers to Dictator's. Some Chevrolet Dealer Shops are mandated to use Chevrolet factory numbers only. Happy hunting.

• Helpful
Reactions: richsadams
1 - 17 of 17 Posts