Chevy SSR Forum banner

Just installed GM XM Radio Kit

10K views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  SSRFather 
#1 ·
New to the SSR scene, and thought I'd share the install of XM in my SSR.

The kit from GM was about $275.00 (with tax) and was a BREEZE to install. You have to remove the dash strips, relieve the lower half of the dash (not remove) and remove the top half of the dash. Not as difficult as it may seem.

Once removed, you follow the kit directions to a fault, with only one exception. The addition of the plug on the right side of the rear panel of the radio will inhibit getting it back in. You must modify the radio cradle to accept this plug by cutting away a clearing for it. I used a simple file and some patience, then vacuumed the filings out.

As for the Translator box, I mounted it on the top of the main air vent behind the radio with velcro. The tuner was mounted on top of the ashtray assembly, also with velcro. There is a surprising amount of space here even with the assembly in the closed position. The antenna wire was routed under the dash and the under the dash trim along the bottom of the windshield, and finally mounted centered up on the dash about two inches from the winshield.

Reception is great, and the only indication of the installation is the antenna, and it looks great. The factory Bose system I have performs all display functions of the XM information output, and comes through crystal clear.

Just thought I'd share this with anyone on the fence with the XM choice. This is easy and relatively inexpensive. NO WIRING NEEDED is the best selling point. If you have any mechanical ability and a little patience, this is something you can do yourself in a matter of less than 2 hours.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'd be glad to clear any of this up or assist if needed.

gbrian

See less See more
Discussion starter · #5 ·
I have some pics of the completed install that I will post ASAP.

I will also get the part number off the package tonight for you.

The removal of the dash around the passenger airbag cover was tedious, but not difficult. I did not have to remove the airbag or its cover. It had enough "give" to allow me to remove the upper dash cover, and enough memory to lay back in its original position when I put the cover back over it. Imagine installing a "rubber boot" or something similar. Each end has enough give to be manipulated out of and back into the cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.