Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a new vehicle this winter and was looking at the SSR. are they working out for you owners? any consistent problems like leaky roof or rattles, i should look out for? i have not test driven one yet but i am 6-1 and was wondering if it is a bit cramped in there? last i am looking at leasing. any suggestions on this?
Thanks
drone dog
woof

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
If I were you I would click on forums and then tech discussions. There is a lot of info there on a vast amount of problems fixs and tech bulletins
:ssrJIM

·
Premium Member
2,320 Posts
Looking to maybe?

Leasing has it's pro's & con's. Miles seem to pile on. I would never lease.

Excellent vehicle for me. I highly recommend them. :thumbs

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,102 Posts
Go try one...

We will all caution you that driving one of these is horribly addictive. With the top down and 400hp, it is more fun than should be allowed. You will never be able to do anything without people noticing again. You will have little old ladies at the market come across the oparking lot to ask about it and the teenagers will tell you "nice ride".

I'm 5'9" and have the seat most all the way back. You will have to try one for yourself to see how it fits you. Other owners that are over 6' can fill in better than me on this topic.

Some owners of early ones have had some rattle complaints, but my '05 is still tight after 2100 miles in about 6 weeks. As far as "problems" go, the truck has a few little quirks, but no show stoppers. A non-threatening driveshaft "tink" when it gets hot, air conditioning that has a bit of a short cycle, no cockpit storage, etc. In my opinion, the truck is a limited production vehicle that is, for the most part, hand built. I know GM would cringe, but when you have only 40 to 70 built per day in today's assembly world, it might well be considered that.

Others here will tell you about how easily you will get hooked..... It's true.

Enjoy the test drive,

Mike

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,323 Posts
Hi,
I am 6'2" and have no problem fitting in the SSR. I used to feel tight in my Corvettes but this thing offers alot of room.

As far as reliability I recently bought an 03 with 10K on the clock, it now has about 2K more and I haven't had anything to really gripe about other than the AC that could blow a little colder but I think alot if it is the outside temps I drive in (GA) and the fact that it is a single cab truck and there are windows all around you. The back glass is tinted so that the sun doesn't burn a hole in the back of your head but the tint does hold heat. Overall it does work well.

When you get ready to buy you should be in the right timeframe for some decent pricing. Winter seems to have a lowering effect on toys like these.

It's a kick to drive and it's a rare vehicle on the street. There are quirks and minor problem areas with a few of them but what vehicle doesn't have issues?

Good luck in whatever you decide :seeya

drone dog said:
I am looking to get a new vehicle this winter and was looking at the SSR. are they working out for you owners? any consistent problems like leaky roof or rattles, i should look out for? i have not test driven one yet but i am 6-1 and was wondering if it is a bit cramped in there? last i am looking at leasing. any suggestions on this?
Thanks
drone dog
woof

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I am 6'5, and ashamed to say I weigh too much for my frame, however, I absolutely love my SSR. I drove it up to the Woodward Dream Cruise, and even though my wife kept checking in with me to see how the drive was going, I would probally do it again.

The drive was great, and yes I had plenty of leg room, getting up early in the morning to get a jump on traffic, dropping the top, and crusing until 10:00a. - 10:30a. until my first stop and put the top back up as the day heats up. I ran it at about 70 - 85 the whole way up, (except when I was following the "Ding" :lol )

I kept the a/c at 2 - 3 and loved it. I betcha you will love it too. I met lot's of great people. The sights, the sounds, the feeling of communing with other SSR nuts, LOL, Seriously, The SSR is a great looking truck, car or what ever else you want to call it.

I think when I drove around with my wife's uncle in the car sums it up very nicely; "Do people always stare when you are driving around?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
6 foot, 200 plus. Plenty of room for my wife and I. She has her purse, I have my wallet, we both wear our sunglasses, and find a place for the cell phones. Everything else goes in the back where there is more room than 90% of us ever need for two people. If you need a 4 seater, buy an new 05 SSR and a used Hundai. Don't drive one unless you are serious, because you will be hooked after the ride.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
drone dog said:
Thanks
drone dog
woof
Just read this thread.....

SSR Problems

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
And after you read that thread, please keep a few things in mind.

No matter what the vehicle out there you stand the chance of getting one that isn't right. In fact I think they say the same thing in relationships.

We do not stand to make any money out of telling you how great or how lousy our choices are.

When it comes down to it, either you live life on the edge, and want an SSR; as they say, you spend your money you take your chances, or you don't, and you drive a Honda Acura.

I suggest you check out your dealership and ask how they have been graded on service, and then check other dealerships. The whole point is to shop around, for the best deal. Remembering, of course, that the best deal doesn't just mean,"You wouldn't believe how much I saved on this." I think the best deal means the whole package, from conception;"I think I want an SSR", to "I am satisfied with my purchase and have found the dealership, I am comfortable building a relationship with"

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Well Said

Focks said:

No matter what the vehicle out there you stand the chance of getting one that isn't right. In fact I think they say the same thing in relationships.

We do not stand to make any money out of telling you how great or how lousy our choices are.

When it comes down to it, either you live life on the edge, and want an SSR; as they say, you spend your money you take your chances, or you don't, and you drive a Honda Acura.

I suggest you check out your dealership and ask how they have been graded on service, and then check other dealerships. The whole point is to shop around, for the best deal. Remembering, of course, that the best deal doesn't just mean,"You wouldn't believe how much I saved on this." I think the best deal means the whole package, from conception;"I think I want an SSR", to "I am satisfied with my purchase and have found the dealership, I am comfortable building a relationship with"

:agree Focks well said!

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Focks said:

I agree with this post also.. I posted my problems with my SSR and I still love the truck, but read what FOCKS said. Build a relationship with your dealer. The reason for that is that t will spend time there to get fixed and you will need a good relationship to make it as smooth a transaction as possible. If you do not want a vehicle that is going to proned to problems then buy something else, if you do get an SSR I say congrats! but be ready to work and live with it's quirks.

I will say that in the past 15 years I have owned over 100 vehicles and never one with this many problems... Good Luck!

·
Registered
110 Posts
It'll fit ...

6'5" 260 pounder has absolutely no problem with comfort.
Buy one and never look back...that Honda is in everyone's garage! :cool

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
The vehicle was designed for two people over 6'4", Rick Wagoner and Wayne Cherry. There is more headroom than any other convertible except the new VW Beetle.

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,609 Posts
TALL Company!

freezer said:
The vehicle was designed for two people over 6'4", Rick Wagoner and Wayne Cherry. There is more headroom than any other convertible except the new VW Beetle.
I feel great in my SSR at 6'2". :thumbs

BTW: I agree with what Ed is saying for I personally have met Rick W., Wayne C. & Ed I. (freezer) Now I know what it feels like being on the shorter side with those two other guys Ed! :lol

BTW: Mike "dingbat" and Big Jim & Harv my friend make me feel kinda short too! :yesnod

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could try the GM Smartbuy like I did. It is the best of both worlds, very little cash down. At the end of the term you can keep it or walk away if it isn't to your fancy anymore. Also unlike a lease at anytime you can trade it in, assuming your numbers are right, because it is in your name as a finace. Even better "most" of the time about 6-7 months before the end of the term GM will offer you an early "get out" as long as you fancy another GM.
By the way I am loving my 05 Richochet.... ;)

·
Registered
740 Posts
drone dog said:
Thanks
drone dog
woof
The roof is very water and weather tight. As someone who loves convertables, it's one of the best parts of the truck.

It's not a quiet ride. I have rattles, and tinks, and it shakes at times. To me it just makes it more when I shove it up a gear and step on it. No matter what speed I'm at, it's like everyone around me has stopped.

A person's width is more of a problem than height. Still, there's a lot more room than I had with my Z3. :)

The two problems with leasing is the interest rate is higher, and you're going to have paid off less of the loan in three and five years. If you plan on turning it in 3 years, a lease makes a lot of sense. If you don't, then you're going to be faced with trying to get a loan for 30,000 or more dollars on a used truck that might not be worth that much. You'll going to end up paying on the truck for 8 years instead of 5.

The Chevy webiste has a calculater for leasing and loans. Check out the residual values, you'll probably be surprised.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I am also 6'5" and I push 270.... I have plenty of room. I have only had the truck for two months, but I love it. Believe it or not, if I keep my foot out of it (hard to do), I manage to get around 15 mpg in town.... I have not had the chance to take a road trip in it yet, so I can't speak for how comfortable it is on a cruise.... Like some of the others said, if you are looking for something that fun to drive, something that is uncommon, and turns people heads, there is not too many things that compare (for the price range that is)..... :cool

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also agree with Focks!

He expressed it very well.

As for the height issue, to chime in, my husband is 6'3 1/2", and very long waisted. He usually has a problem with headroom-but not in the SSR. He's got at least a couple of inches to spare. Leg room for both of us is fantastic.

Hope all of this input helps you out.

Let us know what you decide...and post pics once you pick yours up! :lol

wipurplechick
"If I must get wrinkles, please let them be laugh lines!"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts