Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking cars with one of my many cousins in Wausau today, and an interesting piece came up about a fella in the Appleton, WI area, that has replaced the 5.3 L in his SSR with a 454 powerplant.

Keep in mind that this is only rumor at this time as I have not seen picures of it. My cousin said he would try to find some shots of it and send them down to me.

I will let you know it is truely real or not.

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
The 454 seems like an awfully big powerplant to shoehorn in the SSR, especially with the limited cooling.

A 427 small block would be more logical - same footprint, with a lot more muscle.

Keep us updated - I'm still betting on a Z06 version before the SSR is mothballed.

Ray

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,147 Posts
There is a guy that signed on as a member a while back from somewhere in central Florida. His ride was discribed as:

2003 Black. Highly customized with Z-06 engine, liquid colled super charger, 0-60 in 3.9 seconds.

I tried PM-ing him for some more info and pics but he has never responded and I haven't seen his name, Doug Bush, come up anywhere.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
I'm not sure you NEED or WANT to shoehorn a big block into the SSR.

The GEN III smallblock can make more power than you can harness on the road, via different combinations of cam, supercharger, headers, exhaust, intake, and even a 427 displacement if you really have to have it.

Why do it the harder and more expensive way?

Jim G

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
evidently

You haven't seen what the boys up north are doing with big blocks lately.
With cam,crank, rod, piston, cylinderbores, and porting these guys are bringing out 750 horses with out a blower, supercharger, or nitrous. Of corse thes guys are enginge guru's and use dynos to get there max power.

Didn't want to ruffle your feathers Jim, Just wanted to let you know these boys are serious about CID and power.

I will let everyone know what comes of this, if I can get some photos and/or more info on who has this project.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Big Block

Chevy has a new 562" big block that puts out 680 HP on pump gas. I have measured it and it will fit. We have installed one in 40' Ford coupe and a 32' Ford Roadster. But the problem is the electrics as nobody seems to decode the 05' yet. Mofo

·
Registered
349 Posts
Flassh said:
The 454 seems like an awfully big powerplant to shoehorn in the SSR, especially with the limited cooling.

A 427 small block would be more logical - same footprint, with a lot more muscle.

Keep us updated - I'm still betting on a Z06 version before the SSR is mothballed.

Ray
Flassh,

I'm with you on the Z06 version. I'm also hoping for the all wheel drive as well. Every time I stick my head underneath and see that hole with the machined surfaces that runs through the oil pan and lines up perfectly with the front wheel axles, I think about the ease of a factory AWD mod. :cool

V

·
0 Posts
My last car....

Will be an SSR with an LS7 engine. All of 500 ponies and an escrow account to pay your speeding tickets.

BLAM !

The ZZ572 can be viewed online at various spots, including crateenginedepot.com among others. You can google it and get numerous hits. I haven't found but one scenario where it was dropped onto a small block frame and I think it initially had rearend fitment problems; these were later resolved.

Vaquero

·
Premium Member
9,382 Posts
Unless GM has some other neat ideas hidden away, I would suspect an AWD version would be based on the 5.3 drivetrain - it's already proven on the Trailblazer XT.

I don't know how big a market there would be for it. Most of us play with them in good weather, and don't intend to winter drive it. There would also be the issue of the AWD system - unless they do some pretty sophisticated engineering based on specific tire sizes, (which would then make changing tire/wheel sizes a very difficult process, they would need to lose the staggered wheel/tire heights.

Ray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts