Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While cleaning my SSR last night, I saw on one of the pieces for my roof #021 written on the piece.
I have Signature Series #20 and just wondering if they installed the wrong one?
Any comments?

Attachments

·
Tech Support/Research
1,667 Posts
Markings

Jeff:

It's hard to determine if that number has significance relative to the specific truck. I've seen all types of crayon markings (numbers, initials, dates, etc.) on the backsides and undersides of various parts on SSRs. I would suggest that looking in the same area on other Signature SSRs for similar markings to see whether or not they correspond to the Signature number would be a start.

Photos I've seen of the Signature SSRs under construction show several lined up in adjacent bays but I don't see any vehicle-specific numbered parts bins, although I have seen a sheet of paper with some info on it related to the SSR being built.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks - I think you (or someone else) sent me pics of them under construction - when I win #14 next week I will check that one :)

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,907 Posts
B T W..... Do Not Remove any of the markings like that ! It is part of the truck History and has a significant role in the construction of your truck. There have been some of the Assemblers initials and comments/humor written on the inside surfaces. It Happens. It is an integral part of the trucks personality. I suggest leaving them. It's History.....

·
Premium Member
836 Posts
B T W..... Do Not Remove any of the markings like that ! It is part of the truck History and has a significant role in the construction of your truck. There have been some of the Assemblers initials and comments/humor written on the inside surfaces. It Happens. It is an integral part of the trucks personality. I suggest leaving them. It's History.....
I recently found "Made in the U.S.A." hand written on the frame behind the left front fender liner. Gotta love those guys.

·
SSR Enthusiast
1,491 Posts
While cleaning my SSR last night, I saw on one of the pieces for my roof #021 written on the piece.
I have Signature Series #20 and just wondering if they installed the wrong one?
Any comments?
Has the roof area ever been worked on.
It isn't uncommon to number components as they are removed to aid in their reinstallation.

Personally, I don't see any value in having a #21 on signature #20.
Made in the USA, Assembler's Initials/Stamp sure but a #21 on #20...not so much.

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
It's harmless to leave it there. 50 years from now, when it becomes more collectible, this # may add value. But NOW IS the time to research it's authenticity. The more time that goes by, the harder it is to get detailed information on assembly marks.
High quality, 100 point restoration jobs rely on these marks. Finding a survivor vehicle to get them from becomes more difficult over time. Now, that little # seems like no big deal, but could be down the road.
If nothing else, it has it's own thread..that has to mean something. :nerd:

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,907 Posts
It's harmless to leave it there. 50 years from now, when it becomes more collectible, this # may add value. . Now, that little # seems like no big deal, but could be down the road.
If nothing else, it has it's own thread..that has to mean something. :nerd:
:agree When I assembled commercial airplane parts, the individual component serial numbers Did Not have to match. There are No Perfect alignment of numbers.... chit happens and sooner or later, there is going to be a mis-match. I would think that no unit has matching VIN # and component parts marked in chalk or crayon, even on Unit # 1 .... Even "IF".... the trucks were Not built numerically sequentially, so, IMHO.... no biggie.
Remember this phrase ??? "Parts Is Parts"....

Reactions: ssr ss 20

·
Tech Support/Research
1,667 Posts
Part Markings

This is not related to the roof markings noted by the OP but is here is an example of an SSR interior trim part with both a number (27) and a comment (last part) that is crossed out- both on the backside of the part.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts