Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
advising that their AIRCHARGER 63-3055 is now available for the 2005, 6.0L, SSR application. They boast a dyno-proven 12.75 hp @ 4,700 rpm increase. This is a replacement for the stock air intake system and is pictured on their web site. Only question I have is the large hole in the shroud that houses the intakes filter. Does it really need to be that large? Seems at least at low speeds that it would allow hot air to be pulled in from the engine compartment and sucked into the engine. Before I buy one, I would appreciate comments from the esteemed membership. This hole can be closed up, but would it be wise to do so? :confused

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yaller Dog said:
advising that their AIRCHARGER 63-3055 is now available for the 2005, 6.0L, SSR application. They boast a dyno-proven 12.75 hp @ 4,700 rpm increase. This is a replacement for the stock air intake system and is pictured on their web site. Only question I have is the large hole in the shroud that houses the intakes filter. Does it really need to be that large? Seems at least at low speeds that it would allow hot air to be pulled in from the engine compartment and sucked into the engine. Before I buy one, I would appreciate comments from the esteemed membership. This hole can be closed up, but would it be wise to do so? :confused
The K&N quote is probably correct. I installed an AirRaid in my 2005 6L and got 16 HP gain with before and after dyno runs. also got 14 lbs torque improvement.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yaller Dog said:
why does that hole have to be so big? :confused
Has to have a big hole because the engine requires so much volume of air, otherwise you would choke it down. The 6 litre vette is different obviously but I think it has 2 large intake lines feeding it. No room unter the hood for that on the SSR.

·
Registered
893 Posts
BUDDYWHITE said:
Has to have a big hole because the engine requires so much volume of air, otherwise you would choke it down. The 6 litre vette is different obviously but I think it has 2 large intake lines feeding it. No room unter the hood for that on the SSR.

I question this.......The big hole in the back of the induction box has nothing to do with it..........and just feeds the engine with hot air from the engine compartment......not good...!!!!! Sometime 'they" just like to make it look radical......and make big or distorted claims just to get you to part with your money.......Each to his own.......but where this is concerned......will keep my money in my pocket.......and I like my idea better......Which I will show soon.....Sometimes it's better to do some logical thinking......than to throw money at something.....that sounds so good ...maybe to good to be true.......and usually is......just my 25 cents worth.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm looking forward to seeing your "better" idea,

as I am wanting to do something and whichever seems best to me is how I will go. Thanks. :seeya

·
Registered
192 Posts
CARB certification of AIR CHARGER kit

The K/N air charger kit is still not CARB certified per their website and in some states such as California you will not pass a smog check. I think they are working on getting it certified, but as yet you may not want one of these if you are registered in Calif.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
BUDDYWHITE: send me the dyno charts as email attachments, and I will post them, along with an analysis comparing to the 5.3 liter K&N air charger which I covered in my book.

The 5.3 liter K&N kit only claimed 5.4 more hp at peak, BUT that is likely because the 5.3 liter's ultra conservative cam timing runs the engine out of air even if you have NO air filter assembly! I can see there being a much larger gain on the higher horsepower, much freer breathing LS2 engine. Send me the chart and I'll do some analysis over a couple of days.

Send to:

[email protected]

Jim G

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JimG, I'll ask you

no one seems to know why the hole in the induction box has to be so large. The hole I mean is the one through which the large hose passes from the engine to the air filter. Shouldn't this be closed up a bit, like a rubber grommet around the induction hose and some sheet metal to fit that would in effect close the induction box off from the rest of the engine compartment? Your thoughts, please. :willy:

·
Registered
893 Posts
Filter kit.....

Am working on a filter kit simular to that of the Diamond back........Which if you look at it......looks like it will work great...and hopefully a larger filter....and one other little secret addition to the rear of the box to eliminate all the corners and smooth out the airflow....All the right ideas..........My last exception.....will give it the ability to be used in the rain.....(Protection from water)with a door that can be snaped into place when needed..........such as on the stock box...... :seeya

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
YallerDog: I am as puzzled as the rest of you on that hole being so oversize.

It is not the need to draw more air. There is more than enough accessible without that hole.

Some POSSIBLE thoughts:

- Allow some movement for vibration or for when the engine torques over under load, but then why not seal around the extra pace with rubber of some sort?

- They had an existing "standard" part that they did not want to make a slightly different version of, and so used it despite its oversize hole?

- There was GOING to be a rubber seal around the hose to block off the air, but something went wrong with that idea at the last minute?

Who knows.

If I bought one, I'd seal around that hole somehow.

Jim G

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The engine mount design of the LS series engines does not allow for a lot of movement like with the old engines. The movement is probably less then 1" total movement or 1/2" to each side in extreme conditions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts