Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,719 Posts
oil filter

what ever the brand you get make sure it says what the microns it filters out thats the size of the dirt particles that it traps in the filter .:eek

·
Registered
893 Posts
Why?????

Donnysan said:
There's one on my SSR as I type this.

There are some who don't think it's worth the extra $$, but I think for the few dollars more it costs, it is:

http://www.knfilters.com/oilfilter.htm

Why do you use them?????????Just because it's K&N.......I read there add(what you listed)..........And didn't see anything in there to make me believe it's a better filter than many others.........Unless it's the nut they welded to the end of the can........But that has nothing to do with filtering the oil.........The add said nothing about filtration abilities........So again I ask Why????????:seeya

·
Registered
374 Posts
Whitewolf said:
Why do you use them?????????Just because it's K&N.......I read there add(what you listed)..........And didn't see anything in there to make me believe it's a better filter than many others.........Unless it's the nut they welded to the end of the can........But that has nothing to do with filtering the oil.........The add said nothing about filtration abilities........So again I ask Why????????:seeya
The nut is actually useful considering the location of the oil filter on the LS2. It's very constricted, and use of a filter wrench is not easy. A wrench or grips can remove the K&N.

The K&N has a thick wall canister, and higher then OEM burst strength. It's a quality filter, perhaps overkill, but we're only talking a few bucks here. I like supporting K&N engineering, a company that sponsors racing and motorsports events and venues. For that matter, the Mobil 1 Filter is good, though it's actually made by Champion. Nothing particularly wrong with AC Delco, either.

Just personal preference.

·
Registered
421 Posts
1 Inch Wrench

I like the 1" nut end on the filter. Rather than using a crappy oil filter wrench, I just use my 1" GearWrench. Much easier to get on and off. Well worth $10.00, in my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
31,280 Posts
I simply glued a thick wide rubber band into a standard strap wrench. Never slips and never failed to get a can off yet.

As far as filters go, I'm not particular to any one brand, as long as it's not FRAM. For the longest time, I was using Mobil1 filters on my Silverado (and formerly my Cutlass) as I was able to horde over a dozen of each type when Kmarts were shutting down around here. I got them so cheap it was stupid to not buy 'em all. Lately since they are all gone now, I'm back to the Delco filters, or for a short time, some AMSOIL filters as I got a good buy on AMSOIL through a guy on the GM-Trucks.com board.

There's a web page where some guy did a study on a huge array of filters. It pops up on almost all car boards from time to time. Most of the filters are made by a few companies. Champion Labs does make a bunch of them, including the WIX, NAPA, and Mobil1 lines. Those are all good filters to use. The Delco filters do seem to vary from time to time - I guess because of which company got the contract to make them or something. :smash

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you want to read enough about filters to make your head hurt... :smash , check out this guy's independents tests:
www.oilfilterstudy.com

I've read all of his reports. The short summary of the K&N is that is has the philosphy of trading filtration for flow, which may be good in a high performance motor like the LS2. I've had a customer of mine (LS1 Corvette) do an independent used oil analysis test on his car using a K&N and AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 and the results showed his car had about 25% of the lab's norm for the time in life of that motor family. All in all, pretty darn good.

FYI, AMSOIL just came out with a new line of filters that is rated for 15,000 miles or one year of use in severe duty and has much higher levels of filtration than other filters on the market, while retaining good flow: AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter

I have one of these in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer, which has the 5.3L V-8 in it, and in my F350. Correct part for the SSR (either motor) is EAO32.

·
Registered
30 Posts
For my money, the few extra hp from a K&N is NOT worth the reduced protection, especially since it's effectiveness depends on it being properly oiled.

·
Registered
590 Posts
samuel said:
For my money, the few extra hp from a K&N is NOT worth the reduced protection, especially since it's effectiveness depends on it being properly oiled.
Oil filters are always properly oiled:rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have one on mine right now. Will be replacing with a purolator Prue ONE. They are a lot cheaper and I think work just as well, but has no nut on the end:)

·
Registered
893 Posts
Street use

Subdriver said:
If you want to read enough about filters to make your head hurt... :smash , check out this guy's independents tests:
www.oilfilterstudy.com

I've read all of his reports. The short summary of the K&N is that is has the philosphy of trading filtration for flow, which may be good in a high performance motor like the LS2. I've had a customer of mine (LS1 Corvette) do an independent used oil analysis test on his car using a K&N and AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30 and the results showed his car had about 25% of the lab's norm for the time in life of that motor family. All in all, pretty darn good.

FYI, AMSOIL just came out with a new line of filters that is rated for 15,000 miles or one year of use in severe duty and has much higher levels of filtration than other filters on the market, while retaining good flow: AMSOIL Ea Oil Filter

I have one of these in my wife's Chevy Trailblazer, which has the 5.3L V-8 in it, and in my F350. Correct part for the SSR (either motor) is EAO32.

Since the use of my SSR is for the street only........I will go for the higher filtration.........especially if it's over a longer haul...6000 miles or more...........Now back when I raced.....I went for the flow.........Since oil was changed every 4 to 6 runs in the Dragster.....and and every race in the Sprint Car.............:seeya

·
Registered
590 Posts
samuel said:
Oh sh**! I thought this was about air filters. D'OH:banghead
And of course we couldn't let it slide by:willy:

·
Registered
192 Posts
Whitewolf said:
Since the use of my SSR is for the street only........I will go for the higher filtration.........especially if it's over a longer haul...6000 miles or more...........Now back when I raced.....I went for the flow.........Since oil was changed every 4 to 6 runs in the Dragster.....and and every race in the Sprint Car.............:seeya
Same approach I'm taking. I run the appropriate AMSOIL EA Oil Filter in my truck and my wife's Trailblazer, but run a high flow filter in the Z06 as I change the oil in it about every 500 miles or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts