Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have knowledge of the pros and cons of aftermarket stock replacement air filters on the "R". I don't want to go full cold air kit as I'm not convinced that it is worth the mod. The intake is pretty close to ram air already, but I just don't like the idea of a paper air filter and the K&N stock replacement is only about $120.00 Canadian. I also try to keep the truck as close to stock as possible, except for the suspension upgrade items that will be coming. :seeya

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,264 Posts
A "high flow" filter is not a bad idea, just make sure it is not over oiled as new or when cleaned as it will cause contamination issues with the MAF sensor. Easily cleaned, but might throw codes or cause driving issues until cleaned up.

I am in the same mindset, spending hundreds of dollars on a "cold air intake" where there is one already there from the factory just does not make sense. Nobody has ever ran back to back tests on the SSR with a filter swap versus a CAI swap, I would imagine that the difference would be minimal if any at all. Back in the day I think I read where the drop in filter was supposedly rated at 12HP, then when they came out with the CAI kit they dropped the rating mention on the drop in and moved it over to the kit. I think because they both produce similar outputs and they had to have a reason to sell the $500 kit vs a $50 filter.

Then you have the argument that the sealed OEM plastic intake system would keep the intake air cooler than the high heat transfer of the metal K&N case on longer drives in actual street driving. Minimal if any affect..

I would say keep your hard earned money for better and more wiser upgrades if you are looking at it for performance. :grin2:

But if you're doing it to be a little different and you view it as a custom mod then go for it, just don't expect a huge performance change over a drop in :grin2:

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Pro K&N

I had this discussion with the tech who did my "Pro Tune" on my 04. The Hp. gain on the "Cold / Cool air compared with the "K&N" replacement for the GM filter was minimal. He asked how I would be driving the R. Normal city Hwy. driving was my reply. The K&N provided ALL the air I needed and as was previously stated, "the induction system is already placed where cooler air can be drawn directly into the manifold". Now adding a magna flow Air intake at that same location will provide more CFMs BUT with normal driving that was not necessary.

Now as for the look, all that polished Aluminum does look nice along with that HUGE colored filter, but I chose the stock K&N and got all the performance I needed. :grin2:

Just my $0.02 "Long may we ALL run"

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,370 Posts
I agree with "Dragon2U". Well while I was typing/ pecking, I agree with BOTH,.To me, they are waste of money. Some people think the look cool/racey, but I don't even agree with that !!!

Nick

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Upgraded Air Filters

A couple of points on upgraded air filters/systems from my observation and experience:

On several of my SSRs on which I installed anything other than a standard paper filter into the stock airbox, e.g., K&N oiled filter or Fram Air Hog, the lower tabs of the stock filter housing do not seal tightly, allowing unfiltered air to enter the throttle body. My solution has been to modify the stock filter housing by drilling a small hole and adding a small machine screw/lockwasher/nut in the area of the lower center tab to create a tight seal there.

On almost of the air flow improvements and horsepower gain claims made from the installation of upgraded air filters or aftermarket systems, the graphs I've seen reflect such improvements only at high RPMs, far above the range seen in normal street driving. So, generally speaking, if you plan to use your vehicle where the engine runs at over 5000 RPM you will see the claimed improvements, but don't expect the claimed 5-15 HP gains in the 1500-3000 RPM range. YMMV, that's just my nickel's worth.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
The Spectre air filter is the same as K&N just a different color oil usd. And I believe are made by the same manufacturer but sell for one third the cost. You can order one on line with free shipping. I have not had any problems with the MAF with any of my vehicles that I use the Spectre filters. The last time I bought one the cost was around thirty dollars.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx for all the responses. I have had aftermarket air filters on previous vehicles and the advantage was the reusability of the cotton air filter, plus I have had deterioration issues with some paper element filters; gas, oil, water contamination. My third vehicle is a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, it will soon replace my 85 K5 Blazer. I made the decision to install a full cold air K&N, a throttle body spacer and a Flowmaster American Thunder stainless free flow cadback exhaust, the difference from stock is astounding. The FJ has an all aluminum 4 liter V6 with variable valve timing and a 5 speed automatic. I think it's that variable valve timing that responds well to the more air in, more air out scenario, no noticeable fuel savings, but it sure woke up the engine.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Your other vehicles are old favorites of mine...
My SSR came with a K&N and I don't know what it would be like any other way, however I certainly would not remove it.
Chances are I would do it for less than $250, but would not for more. The filters can be cleaned, though rather expensive to replace at around $76, however the life expectancy is long.
Never seen any stats on comparing them on an SSR, perhaps somebody here has?

Cheers

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,036 Posts
Depends why you are changing the filter out. For looks, or power. Intake and exhaust work together if you are trying to improve performance you need to do both. More air in and more exhaust out. By simply opening both up and doing a super tune you can pick up around 50 horsepower without tampering with the motor and changing it's reliability. Need to figure out why you are doing things and then do them.

Not expensive things folks can do and gain over 50 horsepower and gobs of off the line torque.

Had my Throttle Body done by Faster Proms in Florida, Jeremy tune. Took it off myself and sent it UPS. They did it and returned it very promptly. They shaved off all the edges inside and took as much material off as possible to enlarge the opening to match the intake. Very responsive and much faster off the line. I also did the throttle body spacer, K&N cold air package, Jet High Performance Mass Air Flo Sensor, true dual exhaust, and super dyno tune. The whole thing is like night and day.

The guy tuning our SSR called and said it was ready. On the Dyno it read 362 horsepower and 369 torque at the rear wheels after the work he and I did. He used some kind of fancy formula and figured 452.5 horsepower and 461.25 torque at the crank. Pretty good increase from stock plus very smooth and more responsive. Reset cooling fans, shift points and firmness and overall adjusted everything. This was all done after the K&N Cold air package, the throttle body port and polish done by Faster Proms in Florida, the Taylor Helix throttle body spacer, the Jet high performance mass air flo sensor, and the Magnaflow true duals exhaust. Split the header pipe and am running two pipes into the special muffler and two pipes out. There is an X pipe in the muffler.

One more thing I would add is rearend gear change. Guys say there is a world of difference then.

Got all the stuff from Auto Anything. K&N Cold air package is $433 and makes a world of difference in sound and low end torque.

Good luck.

Attachments

·
Eat-Breathe-Sleep-SSR's
1,588 Posts
"Fake News" runs rampant in the Automotive Aftermarket....some of the bolt-ons are just marketing! Back in another life when I was involved in performance 2 cycle engines, there were lot's of claims of horsepower gains by aftermarket companies, until a watch dog company "Dynotech" bought a dyno, and actually tried/checked some of the performance products claiming big horsepower gains, and printed the results. 90% of the products, either made no difference at all, or, HP went backwards! Some of the products that raised the HP did it by raising RPM's, which was fine until everyone started knocking the cranks out because of over reving. Just saying....do what you want...whatever floats your boat.
I'm staying "Stock Billy" :smile2::smile2::smile2:

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
Tossing it.

My '05 had the full upgrade when I bought it. I have a scoop hood now, that also dumps in more air. I do not know if either changes the HP because I don't drive it hard. I do like the sound of the KN and the look of the hood.

I run K&N replacement filters on my Prius and Silverado. I would rather clean than toss.

Gr8/ I sure like the FJ Cruisers. When I get rich instead of just good looking, I would like to get an early Bronco and Kindig it, or an FJ.

IMO

Dave

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My '05 had the full upgrade when I bought it. I have a scoop hood now, that also dumps in more air. I do not know if either changes the HP because I don't drive it hard. I do like the sound of the KN and the look of the hood.

I run K&N replacement filters on my Prius and Silverado. I would rather clean than toss.

Gr8/ I sure like the FJ Cruisers. When I get rich instead of just good looking, I would like to get an early Bronco and Kindig it, or an FJ.

IMO

Dave
The FJ is the second best vehicle Iv'e ever owned. What it can't do I don't need to do. Mine is a 2007 and still looks new with 117,000 Kilometers, 69,000 miles. I chose the 5 spd auto because I didn't want the full time 4X. It's replacing my 85 K5 Blazer which I will now give to my son.

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I am a fan of K&N Cold Air intake systems and their filters. I have their filters on both of my older classic's (70 Roadrunner and 72 442), installed a K&N Intake kit on my 2000 C5 Vett and the difference is amazing. You can feel the extra horsepower and torque...same with my 2010 Ford F-150 (5.4 V8) with the cold air intake kit....same difference but the downside is the intake noise....it is louder...on both of those. So it really depends what you want...if your looking for more horse power & torque (at least 12-15 HP more) it is the cheapest way to get it. Just changing the filter does help a bit but nothing the "systems" do. I do plan on installing a cold air kit on my 05 SSR this coming spring.

·
ONE OWNER !!!!
2004 Smokin' Asphalt #11150
44,439 Posts
I use a Airaid Dry Filter part# 851-118 it is washable and does have better air flow. I don't know that it gives you any more HP but I like that it is washable and filters smaller particles.
This is a link to their web site Airaid

Here are some of their clams

Superior filtration; no oil filter
Increases performance and mileage
Washable and reusable
Hand-built using the finest materials
Lifetime no hassle warranty

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,036 Posts
I am a fan of K&N Cold Air intake systems and their filters. I have their filters on both of my older classic's (70 Roadrunner and 72 442), installed a K&N Intake kit on my 2000 C5 Vett and the difference is amazing. You can feel the extra horsepower and torque...same with my 2010 Ford F-150 (5.4 V8) with the cold air intake kit....same difference but the downside is the intake noise....it is louder...on both of those. So it really depends what you want...if your looking for more horse power & torque (at least 12-15 HP more) it is the cheapest way to get it. Just changing the filter does help a bit but nothing the "systems" do. I do plan on installing a cold air kit on my 05 SSR this coming spring.
Have the kits on all my rides also. For me I love the look and definitely love the loud intake noise. Sounds like a super charger. Different strokes!

Reactions: Guzzi Guy

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Will someone PLEEZE put an end to this debate?

The perception from most is that there is a performance benefit from a cold air induction system (not just a filter swap) in many applications.

HOWEVER, the stock SSR intake is already an efficient CAI on it's own. Most SSR owners believe an aftermarket CAI is little more than nice bling.

I'd like to see a real before and after dyno test comparing just the stock SSR intake to an aftermarket CAI and put the topic to rest? Doing this on a stock truck would be most informative.

I hear all the hype and snake oil sales pitches. I'd like some real, hard numbers. Wouldn't everyone?

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Wizzr I don't think you will ever get the numbers because I would be willing to bet they are small and could very well fall below allowed variance in a back to back dyno test and also dyno tests cost money and finding someone to invest the money for that, will be even harder to find I would imagine. Most people do multiple things at once and then go get a tune up done and may get it put on a dyno then. So to go in just to test this one item and pay $500 I don't see happening. At least near me that is what they want to strap it to the chassis dyno and make a couple of pulls on it.

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,036 Posts
There are many before and after Dyno runs on you tube but not on an SSR. They all show about 15 horsepower gain or in that area. But like you said not very likely an SSR will have a before and after pull. I did my super tune after I had everything done. It is like the frosting on the cake so to speak. Love the way mine sounds and the way it performs in the seat of the pants area and that is what matters to me.

Reactions: Guzzi Guy

·
Premium Member
2,616 Posts
Here's what K&N claims for the SSR kit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts