Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A sister product to K+N's 57 Series FIPK, is there 63 Series AirCharger Intake. They are built for many different vehicles and represent a dramatic improvement over a K&N O/E replacement filter alone. They enjoy a faster speed to market than the 57 Series kits due to their pending CARB status. These intakes use only non-metallic rotationally molded tubes that can reduce intake air temperature and decrease intake sound over a metal tube. Restriction can exist BETWEEN an air filter and the engine reducing the benefit of a K&N Air Filter. The weakest link in the airflow "chain" robs a vehicle of its natural horsepower. Often that weak point is the factory air path leading to the Engine. K&N Air Intake Kits virtually eliminate air path restriction by replacing the air filter and the entire air path to the engine. The aerodynamically engineered tube drives a massive amount of air into an engine, which translates into POWER. 63 Series Intake Kits are not legal for street use in some U.S. states

Our regular retail is -

63-3055 K&N Aircharger;* 2005-06 SSR $419.99

We've been able to take advantage of an offer to present these to you for $359.99. This sale price will be good through Sunday, February 12th. Orders can be placed online or by calling 1-877-482-9763. Inductions are ready to ship today!

Have a good day!

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
Both questions above are covered in earlier posts on this website. Search using "K&N".

The approximate answers are:

5 hp extra at peak with the 03 / 04 kit
11 hp at peak with the 05 / 06 kit

both numbers are per K&N themselves.

There are larger gains in both cases at other specific rpm points below the rpm at which peak power occurs.

With these gains, these actually are a good value, and TByrne's price quoted above ($359.99) is the best you will find I think anywhere. This is a good deal for anyone NOT oging to a Mgancharger supercharger. The supercharger comes with its own unique intake air system.

The photo that TByrne has included is for the 03 / 04 kit. The 05/06 kit looks lsightly different and eliminates the extra space around the tubing as it goes trhu the heat shield. Don't ask why the hole is oversize on the 03/04 kit. We have all been specualting on that.:)

Jim G

·
Registered
133 Posts
Jim,
I Just wanted to know what price they were offering 03/04 kit from K&N as I am aware that it is a different part number (63-1104) and if they would offer this kit at the sale price as well.

Paul

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good info from Jim! :)

P/N 63-1104
Fits 2003-2004 SSR 5.3L

We sell these for $409.99

I can offer this one on sale for $369.99

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I want one of thos thingies. How much do you get from us for shipping? :lol <jk>

Seriously though...

·
Registered
421 Posts
Here's a picture of mine!

Here's a picture of mine even with a MagnaCharger Supercharger.

View attachment 9500

·
Registered
421 Posts
It's good!

It's good gauge sheet metal with black powder coat. Nice rubber seal on the heat shield. I put the K&N sticker on it which is just reflecting in the picture. I don't know if it was the supercharger or not, but the K&N hoses were a little short. So, I just upgraded it with high heat 3" turbo hose from HoseTechniques.com that is twice the thickness and quality of the K&N hose.

:thumbs

·
Registered
85 Posts
I’m sorry, but I am having a hard time justifying $400 for an air filter. A 5 HP increase just doesn’t seem worth it. By the time that power gets to the rear wheels I don’t think I will notice any change in performance. Since these HP gains are from the manufacturer I figure they are fairly optimistic to begin with.

I agree with the statement that the less restrictions in the flow, the better the performance. I don’t agree that the biggest restriction is in the air filter. In a recent lab study comparing the stock filter with 9 other filters, including K&N, the results showed that the original filter consistently had a higher restriction than the K&N fiter. This was especially true above 300cfm. A stock LS2 configuration of intake, heads and valves flows at a maximum of about 260cfm. At this lower rating, although the stock filter showed a higher restriction, the difference between the stock filter and the K&N were minimal. Not enough to justify a $400 investment.

My other problem is with the filtration ability of the filter. Flow rate is inversely proportional to filtering ability. Every independent study of filters comes up with the same basic conclusion. A pleated paper filter will trap more dirt than a K&N type filter. The stock AC filter faired the best.

If your primary concern is flat out acceleration then K&N is the way to go. For me, I think I will keep the $400 in my pocket and have piece of mind that my engine is getting thee cleanest air available. For the 1 percent of the time I have my foot in the throttle plates I will give up those whopping 5 additional horses.

·
Senior Privileged Member
4,100 Posts
redlineohio: 5 hp by itself is certainly not enough to get excited about, but if you do 6 mods like this, that's 30 rear wheel horsepower (all mods I quote are based on REAR WHEEL horsepower results, not at the crank), you will definitiely feel a big difference.

I felt a big difference when I did my exhaust work and got "only" 10 hp at peak, but up to 40 ft lb of torque at mid range rpm.

In the rarified world of hp per dollar spent, this is a reasonable cost per hp. Some folks ike yourself value other things more. That's no sin.

Jim G

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good morning! :)

My reply notification showed Focks reply before he edited it. Shipping will be $45. :jester :jester

Ok, just kidding :)

Shipping ranges from about $12. - $25. This is considered an oversized 1 package.

Tom

·
Registered
133 Posts
tbyrne said:
Good morning! :)

My reply notification showed Focks reply before he edited it. Shipping will be $45. :jester :jester

Ok, just kidding :)

Shipping ranges from about $12. - $25. This is considered an oversized 1 package.

Tom
Tom,

I know its Ebay, but would you match the $339.95 price + $15.00 shipping for 63-1104 (03/04 SSR) for your SSR Fanatics?

I see several people offering these prices.

I would rather buy from you.

Let me us know.

Paul

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We don't match E-Bay (thanks for asking through).

You never know who you are buying from on E-Bay. It could be real a real company or a guy in his bunny slippers watching TV. You can't call him for tech support and he also doesn't pay to help keep the forums running so everyone has a place to go, hang out and exchange info and ideas.

:)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts