Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SSR Believer
2,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really interesting article from Hemming's today that seems to take direct aim at some of the electronic challenges of our rides:

I know @Autoprof and numerous others here are aware (sometimes painfully) of what all is involved, but it certainly does give one pause about the future of more recently manufactured collectable vehicles.

The good news, at least for me, is that I'm pretty sure our R will still be enjoying top-down adventures long after I'm not. ;)

·
Premium Member
2006 Pac Blue 6-Speed
861 Posts
Interesting article on an interesting topic. Learning about the electronic modules within our trucks is among the benefits of this Forum. We are blessed to have several technical gurus and a very supportive supplier to help keep us up and running as our SSRs (and us) grow older.

-John

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Over the past several years I've seen a lot of questions and inquiries about roof door control module. Everyone knows that certain thing have to happen for the roof to go up and down. Has any of our electronic gurus sat and looked at diagrams maybe to bypass all those other things to get the roof to operate. I know you would need a test truck and a lot of time. Anybody want to pony up.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,257 Posts
Eventually some of the electronic modules and components on them will be obsolete as will the hardware and software to support them. With the limited number of our trucks aftermarket will completely abandon us and this forum and it's members may end up being the only avenue for repairs and replacements.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
I bet that in time, "work around's" will be developed. I think we're still at the stage of life with these vehicles where we've been relying on factory parts and info. As time goes on, and the trucks age, people will come up with different ways (non - OEM) to accomplish things. It may involve things like totally gutting a specific system and replacing it with something totally different (such as the RDM and it's related components). I've seen it done with other vehicles. After all, there's thousands of these trucks out there and they are highly desirable. As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Stay tuned my friends. It will be fun to watch the Ah-Ha moments unfold.

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I bet that in time, "work around's" will be developed. I think we're still at the stage of life with these vehicles where we've been relying on factory parts and info. As time goes on, and the trucks age, people will come up with different way (non - OEM) to accomplish things. It may involve things like totally gutting a specific system and replacing it with something different. I've seen it done with other vehicles. After all, there's thousands of these trucks out there and they are highly desirable. As the old saying goes, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Stay tuned my friends. It will be fun to watch the Ah-Ha moments unfold.
The LS electronics have aftermarket for control. I am not so optimistic on the specifics as the tops.\

Dave

·
Registered
2004 UV
1,390 Posts
Hopefully Chevy has come a long way since they made our trucks I just got a 2020 RS Blazer with all the different features and controls it has it will be a nightmare for the average mechanic to work on, it just about drives itself.

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
I worry about rodents chewing the wiring;
it seems they use a soa based lubricant used in manufacturing wires in some places: insurance does not cover it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts