Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

Registered
2005 yellow over black. 馃槑
Discussion Starter #1
Ordered new key fobs, apparently they can鈥檛 communicate with the truck. Any thoughts on what to check 馃 I hope I don鈥檛 need a new BCM. Everything else seems to be working. Thanks guys. 馃槑

Premium Member
They need to be programmed. Some locksmiths, batteries plus and dealerships. Possibly some shops with enhanced scan tools, Tech 2 and some Autel scanners can also perform this feature.
It DOES NOT require subscription acces to GM programming.

I do it for free at rallys and meet and greets.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I went to Batteries Plus and the guy tried with 2 different computers. He said they couldn鈥檛 communicate with my truck. At least he refunded my money. Guess I鈥檒l try an auto parts store and see if they can pull any codes. 馃槑

BAD BOW TIE
Lock smith or Chevy. Cost a lot but done right.

Two Tone Owner
My mechanic did mine with his scanner. Not a GM Tech 2.
Make sure you bring all your key fobs and the SSR.
They can program up to 4 fobs, but need all of them there.

Premium Member
2005 Ricochet Silver
Ordered new key fobs, apparently they can鈥檛 communicate with the truck. Any thoughts on what to check 馃 I hope I don鈥檛 need a new BCM. Everything else seems to be working. Thanks guys. 馃槑
Groceryman, Yes, the fobs, all of them, must be programmed to the SSR at the same session. My local Chevy dealership did my 2 fobs (1 old and 1 new) for FREE when I purchased a new one off Amazon ($13). Both fobs work perfectly. I first tried my local Ace Hardware and a Batteries+ (both advertise they program fobs) but neither could do it, I took the fobs to my local Chevy dealership as a last resort. I was surprised they did not charge me. It only took a few minutes to program the fobs.

Premium Member
I went to Batteries Plus and the guy tried with 2 different computers. He said they couldn鈥檛 communicate with my truck. At least he refunded my money. Guess I鈥檒l try an auto parts store and see if they can pull any codes. 馃槑
:unsure:
I'm not seeing any of these post replies making this point. There are GM fobs and then again there are GM fobs. You MUST be sure that the new fobs you got have the right FCC ID........which is KOBLEAR1xT.

Now, some after market fobs may (not) show the FCC ID on the back of the fob. Therefore, you must be specific when you order your set. I got mine and the local Batteries Plus store had no problems programming mine.(y)

RetroCarGuy530
As others have already stated, make sure the FOBs have the correct FCC Id on them. The SSR needs to have a "Program Key FOBs" special (service) function executed to have the all of the FOBs (up to 4) programmed. Either a Tech 2, Tech2Win (software Tech 2) or other higher end scan tool needs to be used to invoke the "Program Key FOBs" special function. It asks how many FOBs (1 to 4) and then it walks you through each FOB by simultaneously pressing and holding the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons on each FOB.

I have a video on my channel showing this process using my Autel MaxiSys MS906 scan tool.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
I鈥檓 not explaining my problem correctly. 馃槵 they couldn鈥檛 get the computers to communicate with my truck so they can鈥檛 even start to program the remotes. Sorry for the confusion. Any thoughts on this. 馃

Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
I鈥檓 not explaining my problem correctly. 馃槵 they couldn鈥檛 get the computers to communicate with my truck so they can鈥檛 even start to program the remotes. Sorry for the confusion. Any thoughts on this. 馃
I鈥檇 take the simple approach. Roll the windows down and disconnect the battery cables from the battery and hold the ends together for 30 or so to reset the computers and then see if communication cane be established with the BCM.

But this kind of begs the question, was/is there anything else odd going on before this? Or was the R鈥檚 battery replaced?

Premium Member
Are your old key fobs still working - if yes it is defiantly not a BCM issue -- Don't bother with pulling codes - its either a bad connection at the diagnostic link or their scanners.
I would say its a problem with their scanner - were they able to communicate with the trucks ECM or did they try.
Not knowing what type of scanner they were using you might also check the cigarette lighter fuse - it powers a 12v power source to the diagnostic link connector. Underhood #16. EDIT This would most likely cause their scanner to not even power up completely. I am not sure what exactly their issue was or where the communications process broke down.

If there is a communication error in your truck, then a code scan would produce a U1XXX code in the ECM and other modules attempting to communicate with your BCM. If you can communicate with the ECM. But also, If BCM is actually not communicating you would have all sorts of problems

Slingshot Rules!

Curious, Groceryman . . . why do / did you need new FOBs?

Did you lose or damage the OEMs or something else?

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
The old key fob only worked to opens the bed cover. Truck only came with one. Then it stopped doing that. I ordered a new one with the specs from this site. The guy says they are transmitting. But when he tried to program them, he could not get either of his computers (tablets) to communicate with my truck. Everything else ( windows, radio, alarm) work.

Slingshot Rules!
I will be at Cracker Barrel on Rt 27 and I-4 on Tuesday at NOON to meet with Tom Sorensen, RGang to deliver Pneumatic Roof Cylinders.

You are welcome to come over and I will program your FOBs with my Tech 2. Only cost you lunch.

Dicktator

GO FOR IT, @Groceryman101 . . . CANNOT BEAT THAT OFFER.

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

1 - 20 of 61 Posts