Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

Registered
2005 yellow over black. 馃槑
Discussion Starter #21
I will be at Cracker Barrel on Rt 27 and I-4 on Tuesday at NOON to meet with Tom Sorensen, RGang to deliver Pneumatic Roof Cylinders.

You are welcome to come over and I will program your FOBs with my Tech 2. Only cost you lunch.

Dicktator
Sounds like a deal to me. 馃憤 just want to make sure I have the right one. 馃槑

SSR Pit Crew
Groceryman101, be sure you bring all the FOBs. Are you sure they are the right FOBs for SSR??

Dicktator

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Went to the auto parts store to see if they could pull any codes but they could not. He said if the check engine light was not on they couldn鈥檛 pull codes. Anything I can check before lunch ( and ice cream ) tomorrow. 馃

Premium Member
Went to the auto parts store to see if they could pull any codes but they could not. He said if the check engine light was not on they couldn鈥檛 pull codes. Anything I can check before lunch ( and ice cream ) tomorrow. 馃
They must have a generic scanner - but he doesn't really know what he is talking about - some codes WILL NOT turn on check engine light AND if the check engine light was on and then went off the code will still be stored in the computer as a history code for quite a while. So you CAN have codes without the light!

Don't worry I am sure Dicktator will get it solved.

SSR Pit Crew
No I didn't get it solved, wish I had.

Groceryman101, I don't think I would change hoses on cylinders because it works when you manually start the roof. See if you can get together with Carl Bush. He is pretty good at diagnosing the roof problem.

Couldn't do FOB because of aftermarket radio. Tech2 said "can not communicate with radio" or ECM.

Could communicate with engine, BCM, RDM, etc. but not for programing FOB.

Sorry I wasn't more help today but good to see you.

Dicktator

Registered
Discussion Starter #29
Good seeing everyone today too. At least I have more info on what鈥檚 happening. It was still a gorgeous top down day. 馃槑

Premium Member
No I didn't get it solved, wish I had.

Groceryman101, I don't think I would change hoses on cylinders because it works when you manually start the roof. See if you can get together with Carl Bush. He is pretty good at diagnosing the roof problem.

Couldn't do FOB because of aftermarket radio. Tech2 said "can not communicate with radio" or ECM.

Could communicate with engine, BCM, RDM, etc. but not for programing FOB.

Sorry I wasn't more help today but good to see you.

Dicktator
:rolleyes:

Wow.........hard to understand to me why there is still a problem. Why should an after market radio have an effect on programming the Fobs........

Has not there been a SSR Fanatic that has swapped out their radio and then subsequently had a Fob problem...............:unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
:rolleyes:

Wow.........hard to understand to me why there is still a problem. Why should an after market radio have an effect on programming the Fobs........

Has not there been a SSR Fanatic that has swapped out their radio and then subsequently had a Fob problem...............:unsure:
Radio is wired to other things ( alarm for one ) so the raf that the key fobs use isn鈥檛 wired for some reason. 馃槴

Premium Member
Radio is not wired to alarm.

Meet and greet in Cincinnati had 3 SSRs with aftermarket radios. All three content theft alarms still functioned. Doors were closed, locked with key fob. After a few minutes unlocked doors manually through open window and alarms went off. I believe 1 of the SSRs that we tested belonged to @HUAW. I can't remember which other members there also had aftermarket radios. Batssr? and @Firetruck ? or was it @cincyssr ?

The factory radios have a stand alone antitheft feature. It does not impact vehicle antitheft or content antitheft. I also do not believe it is impacting your key fob operation.

See these posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #33
Radio is not wired to alarm.

Meet and greet in Cincinnati had 3 SSRs with aftermarket radios. All three content theft alarms still functioned. Doors were closed, locked with key fob. After a few minutes unlocked doors manually through open window and alarms went off. I believe 1 of the SSRs that we tested belonged to @HUAW. I can't remember which other members there also had aftermarket radios. Batssr? and @Firetruck ? or was it @cincyssr ?

The factory radios have a stand alone antitheft feature. It does not impact vehicle antitheft or content antitheft. I also do not believe it is impacting your key fob operation.

See these posts
My alarm is working but Dictator could not get his Tech 2 to communicate with the radio and was not able to activate my new key fobs. He could communicate with other systems in the car. Could there be a wire not connected now that is causing this or is there some other door remote controller. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 馃槑

RetroCarGuy530
My 2004 SSR has an aftermarket radio installed. The video I posted a link to is with that 2004 SSR having its FOBs reprogrammed. In general, having an aftermarket radio installed should not block the FOB programming process. My 2004 SSR's theft alarm still works.

The issue Dicktator had with his Tech2 might be a Tech2 specific issue. The other concerning statement Dicktator made was that the Tech2 could not communicate with the ECM. I may have to try and fire up my Tech2Win installation to see if I can get into the FOB programming special function with my aftermarket radio.

SSR Pit Crew
You can guess as much as you like but bottom line is I have programed FOB for other SSR over the last 12years and never had this problem.

My Tech2 was refurbished three years ago, Chevy Dealer sent it in for me.

Only difference, after market Pioneer Radio, what/why? Don't know.

Oh, I know "It should work".

Autoprof wrote.
"The factory radios have a stand alone antitheft feature. It does not impact vehicle antitheft or content antitheft. I also do not believe it is impacting your key fob operation."

You are welcome to come down and show me how to do it. Another Tech in Jacksonville tried to program this same SSR with the same FOBs and said "my Tech2 won't talk to the ECM for programing FOB".

Dicktator

Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
FWIW I have two different Pioneer head units with different modules connecting in both my Rs and have successfully reprogrammed FOBs several times with my Tech2 in both of them. I鈥檝e done it several times with the Pioneer units not because I was having any issues, I reran some experiments to confirm 3 FOB operations in support of a previous thread.

Perhaps the issue with programming the BCM has to do with how the unit was wired. Both my Rs had professionally installed radios. I accidentally discovered they were installed by the same company several years apart. Both were a mess in very different ways. I had to repair different harnesses, etc.

I agree with @Autoprof about the aftermarket radio and the alarm, this has been discussed several times. Coincidentally just the other night I showed my wife how the alarm worked with the top down.

When I had Uxxxx error codes, neither my DiabloSport Intune nor my Tech2 would communicate with the affected system until I 鈥榬ebooted鈥 the R as I described earlier by disconnecting the battery cables and holding them together. You can do it by pulling fuses or one cable and waiting but I didn鈥檛 want to wait.

Premium Member
@Dicktator we鈥檙e fully stocked for your next visit. We can hang out, play with trucks, whatever.
45414772-900F-44FA-9AB7-AE8183859111.jpeg

We鈥檒l do our best to rotate stock...

Registered
Discussion Starter #39
So now the question is, can the aftermarket radio effect the key fobs or is the remote door lock module 馃 defective. 馃槴

Premium Member
So now the question is, can the aftermarket radio effect the key fobs or is the remote door lock module 馃 defective. 馃槴
See above, Key fob can鈥檛 communicate

It 鈥渃ould鈥, but should not. It would likely depend upon how the radio was installed and if there was some fiddling with the wiring harnesses. For the record, modules can be purchased to interface with the OEM connections, from Crutchfield or elsewhere, to accomplish the task without the need to hack things up. Many of us have aftermarket radios and the fobs and alarm work fine.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts