Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:rolleyes: Well, she has been gone for many years, but according to my wife, her mother always told her that "a house never loses anything". I have concluded she was wrong cause the key and fob to my SSR that came up missing about three or so weeks ago has just plain disappeared.

Been using the other fob in the meantime and need to sit in the truck and re-do the "drill" for it cause every time I lock or unlock the damn truck, the horn honks.:( I still have excellent hearing and can hear the thing lock or unlock from many yards away...........don't want or need to hear the damn horn.

Anyway, I've reviewed some of our prior posts on fobs and still have not zeroed in on the best deal to replace my missing one along with a key too.

Would appreciate ideas on best fob to go after that of course would include a button for the cargo lid. While searching today, I ran into this video which seems to give a "drill" that you can follow to program your new (and existing fobs) when you get a new one.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,303 Posts
:rolleyes: Well, she has been gone for many years, but according to my wife, her mother always told her that "a house never loses anything". I have concluded she was wrong cause the key and fob to my SSR that came up missing about three or so weeks ago has just plain disappeared.

Been using the other fob in the meantime and need to sit in the truck and re-do the "drill" for it cause every time I lock or unlock the damn truck, the horn honks.:( I still have excellent hearing and can hear the thing lock or unlock from many yards away...........don't want or need to hear the damn horn.

Anyway, I've reviewed some of our prior posts on fobs and still have not zeroed in on the best deal to replace my missing one along with a key too.

Would appreciate ideas on best fob to go after that of course would include a button for the cargo lid. While searching today, I ran into this video which seems to give a "drill" that you can follow to program your new (and existing fobs) when you get a new one.

Make sure to let us know if that programming process works when you get your new key fob.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,303 Posts
Curious, Moscooter . . .

If I remember correctly, the "Horn Blow Alert" was an option within the original DIC set-up?

Am I missing something here?

! :cool: ! :p ! :cool: ! :p ! :cool: !
That is the easy part, along with the lights that flash and the headlights staying on until you get out of the garage.

·
Slingshot Rules!
70,021 Posts
That is the easy part, along with the lights that flash and the headlights staying on until you get out of the garage.

GOTCHA, Dwight . . .

Remember, we're coming up on 15 years since I "Read The Book!"

! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: ! (y) ! :cool: !

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Curious, Moscooter . . .

If I remember correctly, the "Horn Blow Alert" was an option within the original DIC set-up?

Am I missing something here?

! :cool: ! :p ! :cool: ! :p ! :cool: !
:rolleyes:
Yeah, it's an "option" and I can shut it down if I take the time (which I will) to go thru the "drill". My missing fob did NOT honk the horn when the doors were locked or unlocked. So I was kinda caught off guard when I started using the other one I had when it started beeping.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,871 Posts
Need to find one with FCC Code KOBLEAR1XT
Many GM products used this four button FOB.
Most will have a car symbol on the bed release button.
The numbers 1 or 2 dont matter on the back. Thats only for ID when you set them up and program the driver memory to each FOB and that procedure is in your owner manual. The FOB needs to be initially programmed to the truck by a dealer or a locksmith that has the equipment to do so. There is NO DIY programming available for these FOBs.

If you want one with the SSR on the button then you need to find an SSR one or buy a KOBLEAR1XT and a Saturn ION key fob and put the rubber botton membrane from the ION FOB into the other FOB.
The ION electronics dont work with our SSRs but they used the same buttons with the SSR symbol on it.

Any locksmith can cut a new key from one of yours.

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
975 Posts
The numbers 1 or 2 dont matter on the back. Thats only for ID when you set them up and program the driver memory to each FOB and that procedure is in your owner manual. The FOB needs to be initially programmed to the truck by a dealer or a locksmith that has the equipment to do so. There is NO DIY programming available for these FOBs.

If you want one with the SSR on the button then you need to find an SSR one or buy a KOBLEAR1XT and a Saturn ION key fob and put the rubber botton membrane from the ION FOB into the other FOB.
The ION electronics dont work with our SSRs but they used the same buttons with the SSR symbol on it.

I’ve done this very thing, bought the Ion FOB and used the membrane and the SSR FOB electronics.

·
The Susan Lucci of ROTM
2004, lowered, custom paint
2,167 Posts
What about one of the junkyards parting out trucks? Will they have a key fob and will it work?

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

(y)
Some good feedback there. I will look into those options to come up with my replacement. But.....are ya sure about this comment. "There is NO DIY programming available for these FOBs. "

You're telling me that the video I saw will not in fact do the trick.:unsure:

·
SSR Believer
1,272 Posts
Ash, I wanted a new(er) fob because the buttons on my #1 Driver were worn down (yes, I'm a tad OCD and proud of it :p ). So I bought a nice one from this seller on eBay:

I contacted him ahead of time to be sure it had the truck icon for the trunk release (sent him a photo of mine) and he confirmed that it did right away. Since my OEM fob was working fine I just swapped out the rubber buttons like @Texasbaehr suggested. I don't know if that one can be programmed though since it has a different number. I think I read in another post about someone buying the correct numbered fob like this one and one of the Saturn Ion fobs and swapping out the rubber buttons but I can't find it right now.

There are a few others on eBay too. Some have the truck icon, some don't.

I bought one initially that had a photo showing the truck icon, but when I got it, it was the typical car trunk image. They refunded my money and said to keep it. So the next time I asked to be sure since I wanted a "period correct" one and all. ;)

I always wondered what the Saturn Ion owners thought about having a truck pictured on their trunk release button. 🤔

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,871 Posts
(y)
Some good feedback there. I will look into those options to come up with my replacement. But.....are ya sure about this comment. "There is NO DIY programming available for these FOBs. "

You're telling me that the video I saw will not in fact do the trick.:unsure:
Yes the DIY will NOT work. That video may be for an older three button FOB.
The correct FOB's are selling brand new on Ebay for $10 with car button.
And there are a few ION FOBs for sale on Ebay with the SSR button.

·
SSR Pit Crew
12,393 Posts
I have programed many SSR, you need Tech2 or go to Dealer. Locksmith, (some) can do it also.

Programed to your Vin# because of security system part of OEM Radio.

Dicktator

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,592 Posts
You do need a scan tool such as the GM Tech 2 or aftermarket scan tools like the Autel MaxiSys MS906 using its Immobilizer & Keys hot function to program key fobs. The process for the SSR is very simple, the scan tool asks how many FOBs (1 to 4) and then it has you press the LOCK/UNLOCK buttons at the same time on each of the FOBs (one FOB at a time) being programmed.

The order in which they are programmed into the vehicle becomes the driver number for that key FOB.

·
SSR Believer
1,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes the DIY will NOT work. That video may be for an older three button FOB.
The correct FOB's are selling brand new on Ebay for $10 with car button.
And there are a few ION FOBs for sale on Ebay with the SSR button.
OK, just double checking. The "key" to getting the proper fob as I know understand is the FCCID. In your Corvette example on EBAY above, it shows the same FCCID as does my SSR.

So does this one on Amazon. Amazon.com: OEM Electronic 4-Button Key Fob Remote Compatible With Chevrolet Pontiac (FCC ID: KOBLEAR1XT, P/N: 10443537): Automotive

I do not care that the trunk lid picture is different, I just need to have another backup fob. Since neither of these are genuine GM, the dealers may not want to program them. I would think I could get it done at my Batteries Plus store.

This should do the trick...........................Agree.:unsure:

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,871 Posts
OK, just double checking. The "key" to getting the proper fob as I know understand is the FCCID. In your Corvette example on EBAY above, it shows the same FCCID as does my SSR.

So does this one on Amazon. Amazon.com: OEM Electronic 4-Button Key Fob Remote Compatible With Chevrolet Pontiac (FCC ID: KOBLEAR1XT, P/N: 10443537): Automotive

I do not care that the trunk lid picture is different, I just need to have another backup fob. Since neither of these are genuine GM, the dealers may not want to program them. I would think I could get it done at my Batteries Plus store.

This should do the trick...........................Agree.:unsure:
IF it is a four button FOB with FCC ID KOBLEAR1XT it will work. Many GM models used this FOB.
If you have to haver the SSR icon on the trunk button you'll need an SSR FOB or get a Saturn Ion FOB and remove the rubber button membrane from it and put it in your KOBLEAR1XT FOB. The number on the back makes no difference until its programmed. The GM dealer won't care, the FOBs are no longer available from GM. If they do then find a locksmith that can program it.

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
6,187 Posts
Interesting, I did not think that Batteries Plus had the equipment, but reading on their website it looks like they do advertise they have the proper equipment to do it. Worth a shot. Let us know the cost and outcome. I have heard the dealers will do it, sometimes free, but normally at a $50 cost.

I am sure the dealer would program it despite what graphic is on the fob, they know our particular one is out of production.

·
Two Tone Owner
2,576 Posts
My mechanic did mine with his aftermarket scanner. He did not know that you can only program 2 to do everything. The other ones will only open and close the doors.
When he got done it set all my personal preferences for door locks and alarms back to default.
I had to reset them back to my preferences with the steering wheel switches. Easy to do.
Walter

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

tinyssnowplows
Two Tone Owner

Joined May 5, 2009
2,562 Posts
#19 18 m ago
My mechanic did mine with his aftermarket scanner. He did not know that you can only program 2 to do everything. The other ones will only open and close the doors.

:unsure:
The Shop Manual says that four fobs can be programmed and makes no mention of two of them being limited????

1 - 20 of 36 Posts