Chevy SSR Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Interesting, I did not think that Batteries Plus had the equipment, but reading on their website it looks like they do advertise they have the proper equipment to do it. Worth a shot. Let us know the cost and outcome. I have heard the dealers will do it, sometimes free, but normally at a $50 cost.

I am sure the dealer would program it despite what graphic is on the fob, they know our particular one is out of production.
Well, I was at my local B. Plus place several times last week or so trying to get that fancy switch blade key fob done. They were unable to get their machine to make the new cuts. It would "read" the original but then would not perform the cutting on the new blank.
So, finally got it cut and it works (in the ign. switch and door lock). But the Chevy dealer wouldn't even attempt the programming and I subsequently found out here that I needed the FCCID to match (and it did not).

So, I never went back to B. Plus.............but I will when new fob comes in with correct FCCID.

B. Plus told me it would be $40 for the programming.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,303 Posts
tinyssnowplows
Two Tone Owner

Joined May 5, 2009
2,562 Posts
#19 18 m ago
My mechanic did mine with his aftermarket scanner. He did not know that you can only program 2 to do everything. The other ones will only open and close the doors.

:unsure:
The Shop Manual says that four fobs can be programmed and makes no mention of two of them being limited????
The DIC only has space for two so there is no way to program the unique seat settings, light setting and beeps to the #3 & #4.

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,068 Posts
Also only "Set 1and 2" buttons on the side of the seat for memory.

Nick

·
Two Tone Owner
2,576 Posts
tinyssnowplows
Two Tone Owner

Joined May 5, 2009
2,562 Posts
#19 18 m ago
My mechanic did mine with his aftermarket scanner. He did not know that you can only program 2 to do everything. The other ones will only open and close the doors.

The Shop Manual says that four fobs can be programmed and makes no mention of two of them being limited????
I had read that before and it was true with his scanner.
2 do everything and the other 2 would only open and lock the doors.
He couldn’t get all 4 to work everything.
I think 2 might be valet remotes.
Walter

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tech 2 asks for the number of fobs, up to 4 (as I recall). Only the first two fobs will adjust the seat.
:rolleyes:
I'm understanding that only the first two programmed can relate to the DIC for seat positions and maybe light choices, but are ya telling me that a third and/or a forth programmed fob will not pop the cargo lid and/or honk the horn.:oops::oops:

·
Two Tone Owner
2,576 Posts
I'm understanding that only the first two programmed can relate to the DIC for seat positions and maybe light choices, but are ya telling me that a third and/or a forth programmed fob will not pop the cargo lid and/or honk the horn.:oops::oops:
YES, at least that’s the way mine are!

·
Premium Member
2006 S/C Silver & 2006 Pac Blue 6spd
975 Posts
Correct-ish.
Before I reprogrammed the R, both of our remotes were recognized as Driver 3 in the DIC. Neither moved the seats, but they both opened the trunk and I recall they had DIC settings available for the lights, honkIng the horn, etc.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,303 Posts
To quote Laugh-in "Very Interesting".

Reactions: TXNSSR

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,592 Posts
When I programmed my and a friend's SSR key FOBs, only the first two programmed (driver 1 and driver 2) have all of the buttons function. I programmed three key FOBs for a friend's 2004 SSR and the driver number was assigned based on the order they were programmed. When the third FOB was used to unlock the doors and the key was used to turn on the ignition it would display driver 3 for that FOB. For FOB 3, the cargo cover would not open.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Just to confirm my memory, I went out to the garage.... I broke out the Tech2, the two fobs we use and the spare parts 4 button fob (non-SSR picture) and reprogrammed an R. My fob 1 & 2 work normally, unlocking the doors, trunk, moving the seat for Driver 1 & 2, and had all the DIC functions. Fob 3 unlocked the doors and trunk and had its own separate set of DIC functions. As expected, the only thing fob 3 did not do was move the seat.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,592 Posts
As expected, the only thing fob 3 did not do was move the seat.
I wonder if there is a difference with a 2003/2004 SSR since when I programmed three FOBs for friend's 2004 SSR whichever FOB was programmed as #3 would not release/open the cargo cover. As a test, we reprogrammed the FOBs a second time swapping FOBs that were #2 and #3. Again, the FOB that was programmed as #3 would not release the cargo cover, but the FOB that was #3 but now was #2 did have all buttons working including the cargo cover release button.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I wonder if there is a difference with a 2003/2004 SSR
I’m wondering the same thing. Perhaps on the 03/04 the Driver 3 fob functions like a valet fob? My R’s are both 06s and both behave the same with Driver 3 fobs. I poked around with the Tech 2 and didn’t find anything settable with the fobs beyond programming them to the R.

Since Mo’s R is a stick it is at least an 05 and if I recall correctly his is an 06. In either case it should work like mine with fob 3.

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I’m wondering the same thing. Perhaps on the 03/04 the Driver 3 fob functions like a valet fob? My R’s are both 06s and both behave the same with Driver 3 fobs. I poked around with the Tech 2 and didn’t find anything settable with the fobs beyond programming them to the R.

Since Mo’s R is a stick it is at least an 05 and if I recall correctly his is an 06. In either case it should work like mine with fob 3.
Actually, mine is an '05. I'm not really concerned or caring about a (third and/or a forth) fob..............I'm just wanting to replace the #2 fob that I had originally. I was just surprised to learn that more than (two) programmed fobs did not fully function as expected.

I could care less.................as to an additional fob (understanding and reacting to the seat positions and/or lighting).

I just expected the total of (four) fobs would at least operate the (4) functions that the fob positions represent.

That would be (LOCK AND UNLOCK AND OPEN THE CARGO LID AND IF NEED BE ..........HONK THE HORN).

·
Premium Member
2,015 Posts
Discussion Starter #35

OK, I'm about 98% done with this whole ordeal. I ordered another fob from Northcoast Keyless.
OEM Electronic 4-Button Key Fob Remote Compatible With Chevrolet Pontiac (FCC ID: KOBLEAR1XT, P/N: 10443537)
Sold by: NorthCoast Keyless

$12.70
Condition: New - OEM electronic remote guaranteed to work with your vehicle or your money back! Ships FREE within 24 hours!

They may say "free shipping" , but it took about 10 days to show up. As has been pointed out to me, the FCC ID is "key" to having the fob that is going to work. In this case, as above (KOBLEAR1xt).

Initial problem in my mind was when it showed up. The fob is a (knock off) that looks the same except for pic in trunk unlatch. But there is NO printing on the back side of the fob to tell you the FCC ID.

So, assuming it was correct, I called my local Chevy Dealer and inquired as to a price to program the fobs. Got a quote of 1/2 hour or $60.

So I instead went back to my local Batteries Plus store in No. Myrtle Beach. He got out his lap top and adaptor device and hooked up to the SSR port. Whole deal took maybe 4 minutes to program both my original fob and then the new fob. Price for the programming was $45 plus tax.
So, then I mentioned that I wished they could cut me a new key as I still needed another key.

He looked and said, yes we have a GM blank and it you buy it for $11.95 as I recall, they would discount the whole deal (programming plus new key cut) by about $15.

Bottom line, as per my prior trip to B.P on this process, again they could not for some reason get their electronic key cutting device to accept my SSR key.

So he said he had no idea why it would not work, but he would check with the manufactorer and if they know how to circumvent that problem and cut me a new key, I would get a new key and a refund on the (pkg deal).

Have not heard back yet from him. Will give him a few days and if no go..........I'll go up to Lowes and see if they can cut a new key for me.

:oops:
By the way.........New news to me was (fob recognition). Out in my driveway, I used old original fob #1 to lock and then unlock the doors. With that fob, if I hit the lock and/or unlock button twice to activate the passenger side, the damn horn honks and I hate that. My old #2 fob did not do that. New #2 fob does not honk either. YES I know I can alter the honk/no honk, etc. but was just checking.

But meantime, after the lock and then unlock using new fob #2, I got in to drive the truck into the garage using fob #1 which is the only one right now with a key attached. Looked down at drivers display as I was headed into garage and it said DRIVER 2 (which was NOT what I was using to work the ignition and start it up.

So conclusion to me was that fob recognition follows (last usage of fob to trigger locks and not necessarily the fob hanging in the ignition switch.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
28,303 Posts
Remind me not to need a new key fob for either truck. Too much work! 🤞

Reactions: Firetruck
21 - 36 of 36 Posts