Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I move my key switch ever so slightly with keys OUT, the battery light and gear indictator lights up. This drained battery the other day. Any one replace the tumbler?

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I read, can't find anything directly for SSR but there is a switch insides the column housing that energizes the security system and goes to some other relays. Is this correct?

·
Daily Driver
8,958 Posts
With ignition switch out tumbler still moves slightly and lights come on.
With the switch out there is no power to the column, do you mean the switch is still plugged in just not engaging the lock cylinder?

·
Genuinely SSR Obsessed
8,564 Posts
Dang Robert, this new SNAFU sounds like a candidate for your "Why Me??" thread. - :surprise:

Sorry I can't help. Hope it 'goes away' for you soon! - :ssr :smile2:

================
David :black:

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,286 Posts
If you reinstall the ignition switch properly indexed, your issues will.go away. The ignition switch is not in the correct position and is not being moved all the way to off position by the lock cylinder (tumbler assy). The play that is in the lock cylinder (as they all have some) is allowing you to get the switch slightly into the ACC "On" position without the key..............

Has anyone worked on your ignition switch recently???

·
Premium Member
04 SSR
3,071 Posts
Agree with all others regarding switch not indexed.

You said ign switch was removed and still occurred - I'll bet that if you unplug the electrical connector to the switch your lights will no longer kick on. This would verify that although removed from column ign switch is still the culprit, and the signals from the anti-theft hall effect switch in the column around the tumbler will no longer cause your problem.

·
Premium Member
6,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks

Problem fixed. Installed new Borg-Warner ignition switch. Thanks for all your input. Still don't know why light was on with switch unplugged. I will take AUTOPROF's explanation and say "WHY ME".

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,402 Posts
Problem fixed. Installed new Borg-Warner ignition switch. Thanks for all your input. Still don't know why light was on with switch unplugged. I will take AUTOPROF's explanation and say "WHY ME".
Just listening to folks the SSR electrical system is very, very, very, fussy.

Reactions: SWT RYD

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
2,016 Posts
Just listening to folks the SSR electrical system is very, very, very, fussy.
Not so much the Electrical System, its the poor quality Chinese Ignition switch module installed by Chevrolet.
This is the same set up on all the Chevy trucks of this vintage and they have the same issues unless they were repaired by the dealer under warrantee early on. Our SSRs don't get the duty cycles that a truck would so the problem shows up much later on.
Both Son in Laws Chevy trucks vintage 2003 and 2005 had to have the switches replaced twice. The first time GM used the same crappy Switch , second time was the upgraded replacement. took them a while to figure it out!
Good news is both those trucks had 5.3L Vortec engines with 4L60e Transmissions and were still going strong when traded with close to 200K of rough use on the clock.
Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts