Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are thinking about going to Key West in March in the SSR. I would like to know what the people that have been there think of taking the SSR down their. Is the salt water spray to bad for it ? Is it going to be SAFE? I have had a Corvette Stole. What all is there to do ?

Thanks in Advance,
Fred
2006 Silver SSR :thumbs

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
Fred Christy said:
The wife and I are thinking about going to Key West in March in the SSR. I would like to know what the people that have been there think of taking the SSR down their. Is the salt water spray to bad for it ? Is it going to be SAFE? I have had a Corvette Stole. What all is there to do ?

Thanks in Advance,
Fred
Make sure you are fully insured and go enjoy the drive in your beautiful truck. Just make sure you wash it well once you get back home. Do the underside and wheel wells too. AND dont forget to :ssr while you are down there.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I don't live in Key West but have been there a couple times. In March the spring break thing seems to be going on quite heavy so you can expect alot of college age crowd. Probably some bikers mixed in with the Bike week in Daytona going on alot of folks take a cruise to the Keys. The weather is usually tolerable, and if you like the water go snorkel the coral reef. Swimming with tropical fish is pretty neat. Cruising the highway from homestead to Key West over the bridges and seeing all the water is neat. Don't forget to see the southern most point of U.S. Security is probably an issue whatever you do. It's not hard to find things to do even without a plan.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Fred Christy said:

Thanks in Advance,
Fred
Key West is a great place, and the drive down is amazing, especially for a convertible. Plan ahead and get a decent room (go to the library or buy a Fordors or Frommers guide) to stay for sunset. Great restaurants and clubs, lots of cool shops. If you get a chance, head back up Florida 1 up the east coast on your way back to I-10. It's a scenic route and lots of things along that way (North Beach, Boco Raton, Melbourne, Coacoa Beach, the space center (take the Air Force tour early in the morning) Daytona. Wonderful drive, just have a thurough car wash top and under once you head back inland.

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Great place to visit

Been there the last two years. In 2004 dodged the hurricane in October but went anyway. This past year went again in October and did some things we couldn't do in 04.

We stayed at a B&B called The Andrews House directly behind the Hemingway Museum off Duval St. They have six rooms and parking for 3 guest vehicles. Land is a scarce commodity there being the reason. Key West is about 3 miles long and about one mile wide so you can walk virtually anywhere and do not need transportation.

A tour to the Dry Tortugas and Fort Jefferson is a must. It's a 70 mile boat ride either way (Seaplanes are available) and the snorkeling is fabulous around the Fort.

Mel Fisher's quest to find Spanish Galleon Atocha is another museum to visit. Also the Conch Train which provides a trip around the town and points out landmarks and points of interest is a must also.

There is shopping galore for the women while the guys tip a few Coronas at Margaritaville.

Fred if your interested in more info PM me. The drive for you will be between 1500 to 1600 miles. A healthy trip to say the least.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Been There

Been there and loved it! My only regret is that I did not have my SSR with me. If I go back it's going next time. You just have to have a convertible in the Key's! The scenery is spectacular. Been on many a trip, Key West is a must and a must to return. Some have said it's like a mini Hawaii.:thumbs If I could leave tomorrow that's where I would head.

swim with the Dolphins if you get a chance. You'll never forget it!

·
Thank You To Our Troops
19,853 Posts
Key West is awesome. I ve only been there by cruise ship twice so I didnt get to see much.
What my husband and his buddies did:
They bought one of those "bars of Key West" t shirts and saw how many they could hit in the 10 hours we were there. :jester They hit 13 of the 20 on there!!!
I dropped out after 8 and only had a beer at every other one. But it was fun:cheers

I would love to go down and actually see the rest of the Keys though. Have a great time.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
Leaving Monday

For a week, but we're flying in. Its a great place to kick back, and security is no more of an issue than anywhere else, its actually better than most. Its a long drive, but if you've never done it, its worth it, especially in the SSR. I'd recommend stopping at the Sevem Mile Grill, just before you enter the Seven Mile Bridge, and get the grouper sandwich, its heaven on a bun.:cheers

·
Registered
643 Posts
Road Trip

Please give us an update on your trip if you choose to make it. I'm trying to talk the wife into driving from Boston to Daytona in ours, but she's afraid it won't be good for long distance... overheating, trailering, fuel consumption... she thinks it's a toy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to ALL. We want to go and do some site seeing and some Scuba Diving at Key Largo. That is why I asked about the SSR is so we could take our diving gear.
All of you are so much Help. I will tell you how the trip was in March or April when we return.

Fred :thumbs
2006 Silver SSR
Longview, Texas

·
Registered
29 Posts
Here is my suggestion for that time of the year down there. Stay in marathon key. Its about an hour from there to key west. This way you are far enough away from the spring break crowd. Yet close enough to drive down there. I own a house, and 3 boats in marathon key, and it is beautiful. I will actually be down there the last week of march for my spring break. I would highly suggest not staying in key west. The spring breakers can be very loud, and they are every where. Definetly go down there though and watch the sunset.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just "Do It!"

Hi.I live in Boca. It is about four hours to Key West. I have taken the SSR and the Prowler a few times each. I am taking the SSR next month again.It's a "great" ride! There are a lot of Bed and Breakfast places with their own parking.so, no problem. You can rent a scoooter to get around on if you like..it's always a nice time in Key West. Don't miss the Tiki bar on Isle of Mirada.....................sandy g.

·
Premium Member
624 Posts
Sitting in Key West as I read this Thread

Key West has been a second home for me over the past 35 years. We've spent Christmas and New Years here for the past 15 years and don't miss an opportunity to "come home" whenever possible.

If you plan on travelling the Keys this coming spring, try early April over March as the weather is more dependable and the spring breakers have gone home.

I normally leave a Harley in town during the winter months and find that challenges with rusting will occur if you store your vehicle outside for any period of time. I finally arranged for indoor air conditioned storage when I'm not in town and that has resolved the rusting issue.

During this trip I have only seen 1 SSR in town so you find that you driven a rare vehicle here (more Ferraris than SSrs).

The trip from Florida City to Key West is not to be missed but don't forget to bring your patience, especially if your driving the Keys on Saturday or Sunday.

PM if you like and I'll give you the local lowdown on accomodation and eating/drinking.

Have fun!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts