Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the correct procedure to program the remote entry key fobs?

I have searched on this forum and found that some say it can and others say that it cannot be done at home. I did find some instructions on another site for another GM car. When I tried the procedure it seemed like the SSR was in fact responding to all of the procedure except for the most critical part, the key fob recognition.

I don't want to start any debates here but if anyone knows how to program both remotes at home I would sure like to get a copy. Since I bought the truck used I have no relationships with any dealers that would do it for free in my area and I really don't want to shell out $60 if I can do it myself.


Thanks in advance .................
:seeya
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
hackers handbook/magazine...

don't know how much help this is, but I was browsing the markdown bin at my local bookstore last month and picked up a copy of a highly technical hacker magazine (forgive me if the word 'hacker' is not PC - it's the only way I know to describe the tenor of the magazine). The only article I could understand was about reprogramming key fobs, but I don't remember if it was for Chevy or not. i remember that the article said the dealer said it 'couldn't be done"... but the actual process seemed relatively easy once the steps were laid out.

Long story short, you might try an internet search for directions on how to reprogram the key fob....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
according to GM service information the only way is with a tech2 scanner but if can be done without a scanner I would sure like to know. we at my shop will program remotes for free as it only take less than 5 minutes its just good customer service
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Try this

This is for 2000 model year, but may work on the SSR also:

1. Start with the ignition off, hold down the power unlock button on the door panel. Turn ignition key ON, OFF, ON, OFF. Release power unlock button on the door panel. The locks will cycle once.

2. Hold down the keyless entry transmitter LOCK and UNLOCK buttons for 15 seconds. The locks will again cycle once.

3. Repeat step number 2 for each additional keyless entry transmitter.

4. Turn the ignition on to exit the keyless entry transmitter programming mode.

:flag
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
542 Posts
programing remotes

I tried to buy a manual programing instruction booklet off Ebay. When I told the person I had a 2004 SSR he returnded my money, which he already had, and saidthat my vehicle didnot have a "onboard programing procedure" and the only way to get the remotes programed was from a GM dealer. Being he already had my money and could have BS'd me and kept my money I believe that he was correct. But that is my 2 cent, take it for what it is worth. Good luck. :nopity
 

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for everyone’s reply but I'm still looking and hoping.

I never received the second remote when I bought the used truck so that is the reason for trying to program the new one I found.

I tried the "on-off" 3 time thing that most sites talk about but it didn't work.

I tried visiting a few local dealerships again but have still not found one that will do a courtesy program. You need to understand that this place really ^&*# as far as dealers go ..............
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
Keyless Remotes...

Dragon2U,
In order to program your keyless remotes, you must do it at a GM dealer with a Tech 2. Also, look on the back of your remotes, (both), and make sure they both have the same GM/Lear number. If they are not the same, they will not program.
Mike :cool
Semper Fi

PS: Some dealers do this free of charge, and some charge, (dam them).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Here is the procedure, you need a scan tool

TRANSMITTER PROGRAMMING

IMPORTANT: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.



Install a scan tool.
Use the scan tool in order to access the Body Control Module (BCM) Special Function: Program Key Fobs.
Press the START soft key on the scan tool. IMPORTANT: The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of 5-10 seconds , the scan tool will indicate that the transmitter is programmed.
Repeat the previous step in order to program up to 4 transmitters.
Remove the scan tool.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
really simple...

open driver door,
hold down the lock button, (might be both lock and unlock...try lock first though)
when the door locks, its programmed...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Programming the Remote Key Fob

Dragonman,

I'm in the same boat. I bought my SSR used ('05 auto 2SB) and it came with the #1 remote only. I found a #2 on eBay, and now I need to get it programmed. The dealers here charge $96/hour for labor, with a 1-hour minimum, and will NOT do anything for free.

Did you get yours programmed? How did you do it?

Thanks.

Scott


Dragon2U said:
Thanks for everyone’s reply but I'm still looking and hoping.

I never received the second remote when I bought the used truck so that is the reason for trying to program the new one I found.

I tried the "on-off" 3 time thing that most sites talk about but it didn't work.

I tried visiting a few local dealerships again but have still not found one that will do a courtesy program. You need to understand that this place really ^&*# as far as dealers go ..............
 

·
Super Road Rocket Pilot
Joined
·
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi,
Sorry to say you need to have the program done at the dealership or know someone that has a TechII GM program tool. Yes, that is exactly the situation I was in too and most dealers wanted the same money for the program, I just kept looking and finally found one that would do it for free under the warranty. It took all of 2 minutes!!!
It's a bummer, hope you have luck soon. I would keep the #2 handy and when you are out touring just make a point to stop at a dealer you see on the way and ask them to program. When they ask if you bought the SSR from them let them know that you bought it private party and need assistance for this issue.

:seeya


homer said:
Dragonman,

I'm in the same boat. I bought my SSR used ('05 auto 2SB) and it came with the #1 remote only. I found a #2 on eBay, and now I need to get it programmed. The dealers here charge $96/hour for labor, with a 1-hour minimum, and will NOT do anything for free.

Did you get yours programmed? How did you do it?

Thanks.

Scott
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Programming the Remote Key Fob

Thanks for the reply. How did you get them to do it under warranty - did you tell them it just stopped working, or that it never worked/was like that when you got it?

Scott

Dragon2U said:
Hi,
Sorry to say you need to have the program done at the dealership or know someone that has a TechII GM program tool. Yes, that is exactly the situation I was in too and most dealers wanted the same money for the program, I just kept looking and finally found one that would do it for free under the warranty. It took all of 2 minutes!!!
It's a bummer, hope you have luck soon. I would keep the #2 handy and when you are out touring just make a point to stop at a dealer you see on the way and ask them to program. When they ask if you bought the SSR from them let them know that you bought it private party and need assistance for this issue.

:seeya
 

·
Premium Member
2006 Aqua Blur 22578
Joined
·
1,437 Posts
homer said:
Thanks for the reply. How did you get them to do it under warranty - did you tell them it just stopped working, or that it never worked/was like that when you got it?

Scott
If it were me and it was under warranty, I'd take it to them, show them the 2 fobs, one works, one doesn't and tell them to fix it. :smash
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
171 Posts
Dragon2U,
Also, look on the back of your remotes, (both), and make sure they both have the same GM/Lear number. If they are not the same, they will not program.
Mike :cool
Semper Fi
I just bought a keyless entry remote from another fanatic. It is a number 1, which is the one that didn't come with my 03 (used) when I bought it this May. The GM/Lear numbers are the same except for the last digit (one has a 2, the other a 3). Does this mean it will not work with my truck?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
To reprogram my corvette remote - all I had to do was hold the remote next to the door handle and then press the lock and unlock buttons at the same time for 15 seconds.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
681 Posts
If it were me and it was under warranty, I'd take it to them, show them the 2 fobs, one works, one doesn't and tell them to fix it. :smash
if its not under warranty your gonna have to pay.mine was under it so it was free.less than five minutes with the tech2 scan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Programming remotes

I got me an 03 SSR several weeks ago.
Real nice vehicle with 29,000 miles on it.
I love it wifes is starting to...
It came without remotes of course as well as no trailer hitch. Got a hitch from a member on here ( thanks SSR6SPD!)

I got a #1 and a #2 remote on Ebay.
They needed to be programed.

I work at the Thomas Jefferson Lab in Newport News Virginia and I am close to a chevy dealer (Casey Chevrolet). Called them and they quoted me $50.00 to program them. I went there this morning 1st thing and they said they may have to do some "diagnostics" and it could run as high as $95.00.

I said no thanks!

I called a dealer (Priority Chevrolet in Chesapeake VA.) near my house. They said come in and they will do it for free. We bought my wife a 07 HHR from them in Janurary (they didn't know when I called them today).

I figure they want to look at the truck and it is probably good for their business being on their lot as well
.
These guys take good care of their customers (Chevy people). I highly recommend them for anyone looking for good and friendly service.

George
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top