Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new SSR. Driving home from the dealer... what's that tapping/clicking noise everytime I push the clutch? It's the remote, hanging from the key, tapping the dash. Right on the bright crome strip...

What do other SSR fanatics do about their dangling keys/remotes, etc and our ignition that is so close to the dash?

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
Sorry not here

Mine doesn't tap the dash. I only have the small single ring on the key fob and it doesn't move far enough to touch the dash or trim.

·
Banned
2,141 Posts
If it bothers you find the contact point and affix some of the fuzzy side of Velcro, or sticky back felt in the area, that will help silence the issue.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
FriscoTX_SSR said:
Brand new SSR. Driving home from the dealer... what's that tapping/clicking noise everytime I push the clutch?

What do other SSR fanatics do about their dangling keys/remotes, etc and our ignition that is so close to the dash?

I put the top down and then turn the radio up all the way, and sing my azz off. After awhile the only thing you notice are the people staring at you :glol :glol :glol

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
I have a larger ring on mine. Guess it hangs lower. Either that or the radio is just too loud.
Maybe I'll turn it down to listen for the keys tomorrow.:willy:

Nope don't think I'll do that.

·
Registered
643 Posts
All Keyed-up...

I had a metal-to-metal noise driving me crazy all summer in the interior. When I just picked up my '04 from dealer service, I noticed the passenger seatbelt locked in position and asked the service righter why... he said that's how to keep the seatbelt buckle from banging against the top side of the door!

Sometimes we're too close to the forest to see the trees... put a quick disconnect on your ring and keep the bulked-up keys in the glovebox or console.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the suggestions. Interesting to see that this is not a common problem. Especially because I do NOT have anything special or unusual about the key... in fact, at the moment, it is just the ignition key, one metal ring style keyring, and the remote; nothing else.

When I did a test drive, I recalled hearing a click/thump that I thought was associated with the clutch in the test vehicle. Now I realize that it was the identical key setup.... key/ring/remote.

So, I'll play around with changing the keys, somehow... or padding the dash.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Danal, I think you should slow down, :lol the faster you drive the more it hits :glol :)
I have a the key, the Fob and a clip on Key ring (yellow flip flops) the only time it hits is when I try to do that spin to back up on the car carrier :lol :lol

·
Registered
84 Posts
key hit the dash in both of mine, I do 1 of 2 things:
1) key only
2) pedal to the metal keeps the key ring angling away from the dash :lol

·
Registered
117 Posts
My remote hits too!

My key & remote configuraion is the same as yours. Mine hits too. So far, the others haven't offered very good solutions -- well, maybe one or two.:jester

I tried pedal to the metal but eventually I had to shift -- clunk.:lol

I separated the key from the remote. Only problem is I have to have my wife reach deeply into my pocket to find the key! That's whem the alarm goes off...:eek

·
Premium Member
31,421 Posts
Focks said:
I put the top down and then turn the radio up all the way, and sing my azz off. After awhile the only thing you notice are the people staring at you :glol :glol :glol
So that's what I was hearing today? :jester

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I guess the answer to the key problem is answered buy a question..............How are they hangin'?:banghead

·
Registered
590 Posts
KySSR said:
I guess the answer to the key problem is answered buy a question..............How are they hangin'?:banghead
Mine hang lo, and make no noise when they swing to and fro:jester

·
Registered
436 Posts
When I put the Ground Force springs on my SSR and lowered it, it more or less took the rack out of the ride and now it sets level. Keys don't lean towards the dash.

Try it, you'll like it.

Driving a Hot Rod
Skip

1 - 17 of 17 Posts