Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when raising or lowering the convertible top it works fine but I get a couple of clunks as it operates. The mechanism appears to be very similar to the one on my corvette but the corvettes doesn't clunk. I'm wondering if the clunk is normal and if so has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the clunk.

Thanks
flsfshr

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
9,652 Posts
I noticed that when raising or lowering the convertible top it works fine but I get a couple of clunks as it operates. The mechanism appears to be very similar to the one on my corvette but the corvettes doesn't clunk. I'm wondering if the clunk is normal and if so has anyone figured out a way to get rid of the clunk.

Thanks
flsfshr
If it clunks hard when it settles into the roof storage compartment, it is NOT normal. That means you need to inspect/test your roof struts. We have been replacing them for a number of years now and the fleet is not getting any younger.....

There are two tests for Roof Strut "goodness".....
1) With the tonneau cover open, wipe your finger across the bottom of the pneumatic strut on each side. If you come up with a very oily finger, you should consider replacing the pneumatic struts.
2) With the roof opened slightly (so that there is about 4" of daylight between the windshield and the roof), stop the operation and turn off the ignition. Push the roof toward the retracted position and watch how it falls into the storage compartment. If it drops fast and hits bottom with a resounding thud, you need to replace the pneumatic struts.

If your roof makes a howling noise when you do test #2 above, you need to replace the pneumatic struts.

Just to be honest, not everyone needs new struts....... I still have the OEM pneumatic struts (14 years old) in my truck. I check them regularly and they continue to pass both tests...... So, I'm good for now.

Hope this helps. There are a few other thuds, bumps and snaps that happen, but they are pretty normal.

Regards,

Mike

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,434 Posts
When you decide it is time to replace those pneumatic struts on the roof, www.simple-engineering.com is the place to go because they take a special tool to do the job and simple-engineering provides a loaner with return shipping.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,919 Posts
I have

Thanks
flsfshr
I have Roof Pneumatic Cylinders in stock, Clearwater, just up the road. Come up, we install.

Here is some reading: SSR How to Library: Look up ROOF PNEUMATIC CYLINDERS

Dicktator

·
Cantankerous SSR CaretakR
2,231 Posts
Besides the struts mentioned above and ignoring the movement of the side windows, one of the first things and last things that occur when raising and lowering the roof is for the Tonneau latches to release and then subsequently latch at the end. Both of these operations occur with a click/thunk sound. Also, as the roof latches and unlatches from the windshield header, there are click/thunk sounds. These sounds are a normal part of the opening/closing process.

Any loud banging or clunking is not normal. You may also want to lube all the hinge joints on the main hinges, tonneau hinges and T-latches.

·
One of the SoCal Nuts
27,434 Posts
Sorry Dick, I did not realize he was near you. Such a deal!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't see any cylinder leaks. I think the clunk is when the tonneau cover unlatches. I guessing it's normal for the mechanism. Fun learning a new toy. Thanks for the help. I'll keep Dicktator in mind if I break it but only if we can have lunch at Quaker Steak and Lube.
(y)
fltsfshr

·
Registered
403 Posts
FWIW:

The 280 mile RT trip to @Dicktator 's is well worth the time because not only you will receive an excellent assessment of your top mechanism and repairs if necessary and then so may other nuances of the R. Good day trip.

·
SSR Pit Crew
11,919 Posts
Besides the struts mentioned above and ignoring the movement of the side windows, one of the first things and last things that occur when raising and lowering the roof is for the Tonneau latches to release and then subsequently latch at the end. Both of these operations occur with a click/thunk sound. Also, as the roof latches and unlatches from the windshield header, there are click/thunk sounds. These sounds are a normal part of the opening/closing process.

Any loud banging or clunking is not normal. You may also want to lube all the hinge joints on the main hinges, tonneau hinges and T-latches.
Thanks Gary, You are so right. Latch may need adjustment to avoid "Klunk" when unlatching.

If he wants to drive up, we will gladly "check out" his roof.

Can't do more than "free labor", we don't pay for gas to drive up.

Dicktator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts