Chevy SSR Forum banner

Kooks Custom Headers

2K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  hdflstf 
#1 ·
I spoke with George at Kooks Custom Headers today and they are willing to help with a set of headers for the SSR. I explained the need for a 1 7/8" primary and 3" collector setup for a true dual 3" system. They are located in the Bayshore area of Long Island and need a 05-06 SSR with LS2 to use for development. Please respond to this thread and I will give you the e-mail address. Thanks!

#2 ·
2005SSR6Speed said:
I spoke with George at Kooks Custom Headers today and they are willing to help with a set of headers for the SSR. I explained the need for a 1 7/8" primary and 3" collector setup for a true dual 3" system. They are located in the Bayshore area of Long Island and need a 05-06 SSR with LS2 to use for development. Please respond to this thread and I will give you the e-mail address. Thanks!

What about an '03/'04?

#3 · (Edited)
The dimensions are the same as the LS2, the biggest thing is that the LS2 needs to move more air. I just want a 1 7/8" primary, 3" collectors, X-Pipe and true 3" dual exhaust. I think they will need the LS2 so they can dyno the before and after for advertising. Go to their web site and give them an e-mail but I think they want the 05-06 for development.

You could find a 05-06 6 speed and go over with it and yours to cover both transmissions.

#8 ·
Why the "X" ???

Anybody know for sure, not just what you may have heard, why some people want the "X" pipe ???? Found functional results with and without? A nonfunctional benefit has to include the dual pipes would stay more even in height hooked together.

#9 ·
Danko said:
Anybody know for sure, not just what you may have heard, why some people want the "X" pipe ???? Found functional results with and without? A nonfunctional benefit has to include the dual pipes would stay more even in height hooked together.
There was an intense article about X-pipes, H-pipes, headers with and without cats.
This was in Mustang Enthusiast-done on a Mustang Cobra.
Basically the results were 6,000 RPM's and below H and X are equal, above 6,000 RPM's the X pipe gets more RWHP. Strangely, Cats on were better than cats off, being supercharged, more back pressure to a degree. Inherently, the X pipe is quieter than the H pipe. A lot of Z06 guys went with no cats and loud exhaust, like borla with headers, only return to high perforance (not gutted) cats and stock exhaust, as they could not hear anything but the exhaust.

#11 ·
Thnx, I guess, but I was not after an X vs. H comparison. I guess I am after an X vs. nothing but straight pipe comparison. My question is simple, I thought. What good is the X ?? If you are going to say "gas scavenging" please tell what that is. THNX again and don't mean to shanghai this thread.

G
#14 ·
Uncaping Headers

2005SSR6, I would like to help but am on the wrong side of the country.

A question on uncaping headers. If the Xpipe works to pull the hot gas, would uncaping the headers be better after the X or before?

Thanks
Bob

#20 · (Edited)
We now have a member "Larryanchor" and a slot for R&D on the Headers for the SSR from Kooks Custom Headers. They are going to try and fit the 1 7/8" Primary and 3" collectors on the SSR and Trailblazer SS. The tentative time line is about 45 days away at this time for fitting into their schedule.

#22 ·
hdflstf - Not a chance as these will be Long Tube Headers also. I have spoken with JBA and can probably set up an appointment for a local SSR to go there for R&D but they will need to leave it there for about 1-2 weeks. I don't have the time to do this with mine with the other exhaust being taken care of. Want to volunteer your SSR?

#23 ·
2005SSR6Speed said:
hdflstf - Not a chance as these will be Long Tube Headers also. I have spoken with JBA and can probably set up an appointment for a local SSR to go there for R&D but they will need to leave it there for about 1-2 weeks. I don't have the time to do this with mine with the other exhaust being taken care of. Want to volunteer your SSR?
I can. We need to chat about the details of course..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.