Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a servo from Greg Ducato (super nice guy). I had planned on doing the install myself but changed my mind when I saw how freakin' tight it is up in there. I would be doing this on my back and my body isn't as flexible as it used to be, lol. So, I got three estimates from shops in my area. I'm thinking they're all pretty high on the price. The first place is a transmission shop that insists on dropping the exhaust to do it, wants to charge me $190 and says I will have to leave it for the day. I don't want to leave it...I want to wait with it. Even though the owner seems like a real good guy, I've ruled this shop out because it's a total mess in the bay area, extremely unorganized looking throughout the entire building, and the parking lot is jammed full of cars, most of which look like they've been there for months or even years...really turns me off. The second shop performs all repairs and wants to charge the same price. They also have told me I have to leave it for the day. I've ruled them out because the person that gave me the quote insists that the servo on a 4L60E is not on the side of the trans, that it's inside the trans and that the pan would have to be dropped to gain access and I would need new fluid. I told him that was incorrect, that the servo is located on the side of the trans and there would be no need for new fluid either. He says I'm wrong, that I'm thinking of the "governor" but that it would still cost a minimum of $190. That shop is off my list. The third is the local Chevy dealer. They're quoting me $210 and say I can wait for it and that it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. However, the transmission mechanic there says the 04's came from the factory with the Corvette servo. I said I thought that was incorrect. But, he has no problem changing it out. I figured the labor would be about half what they are quoting but they're all three about the same. Am I way off here?

·
Premium Member
2006 Automatic
864 Posts
I am 73 and I changed the servo last year.

You are correct that there is very little room to work in, but I used a wood working clamp to pull the trans down about an inch or so which helped some. If the trans was out of the car you could do the job in about a half hour.

As I recall the discussion, there were a very small number of our cars that had the servo installed at the factory.

The amount you have been quoted sounds reasonable and the dealer may be the choice for you.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
When I had mine installed about a year ago, they Charged me $90 and I waited for little red for about an hour and a half.

The mechanic told me if he had know how tight it was he would have charged $150 and even at that price I think it would be worth it.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Had mine done a few months back. Really helps the shifts. Yes, it's a tight fit. The tech had to loosen the tranny mount to give a little more room. Don't need to drop the exhaust. I wouldn't want to do it laying on my back, that's for sure. Total charge for the servo and install was $75 cash. Total time including pulling the truck on the rack, waiting for the truck to cool down a bit, waiting for the tech to deal with other customers, doing the servo swap and out the door was under two hours.

It's not rocket science to change it. And anyone that whines about the tight fit hasn't spent much time wrenching on cars. Stay away from big franchised shops and new car dealers. Keep looking for a small, old school tranny shop. That's where you'll likely get it done quickly and for a reasonable cost.

·
Premium Member
6,116 Posts
Hey Safecracker, I had my servo installed at Todd's Complete Auto here in Murfreesboro. They do excellent work. I'll bring my receipt along Saturday. There is a WARNING tho. I changed my Throttle body and Jeremy did Super tune at Maggie. With the combination of all of these upgrades you need a neck brace, back brace and slush fund for rear tires. See you Saturday, I gave Boomer Bob directions where to meet.

·
Premium Member
2004 Slingshot Yellow
1,941 Posts
Tranmissioin shop did mine for $80. Money well spent after I looked at what it would require to do it myself without a lift.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was thinking somewhere in the range of $100, give or take, would be fair.

Hey Safecracker, I had my servo installed at Todd's Complete Auto here in Murfreesboro. They do excellent work. I'll bring my receipt along Saturday. There is a WARNING tho. I changed my Throttle body and Jeremy did Super tune at Maggie. With the combination of all of these upgrades you need a neck brace, back brace and slush fund for rear tires. See you Saturday, I gave Boomer Bob directions where to meet.
SWT RYD, Just talked to Boomer Bob a few minutes ago and he already sent me the time and location. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone. Also looking forward to any info you can provide. Funny you should mention the tires...I'm going to be looking for some rears also in the not-too-distant future. It's always something, lol.

·
Daily Driver
8,949 Posts
Mine is inside the tranny and the pan had to come down. Turns out I had one from the factory. Fresh fluid is always an excellent idea.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Mine is inside the tranny and the pan had to come down. Turns out I had one from the factory. Fresh fluid is always an excellent idea.
Bruce, what model tranny do you have? Likely not a 4L60E.

As for where to get one... any good performance tranny shop should be able to help you with both the servo and installation. They are not hard to find.

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Though technically "inside" the trans the band apply servo is replaceable through the passenger side of the transmission without pan removal and with a minimal loss of fluids. There are accumulators inside the trans which also have to do with second and fourth gear , accessible only by pan removal and these are often confused.

There is no way to remove this servo assembly in one piece while the trans is in the vehicle due to the proximity of the floor/tunnel to this area of the trans so it will be removed a part at a time which complicates things a bit. If you are mechanically talented and sober this is a small challenge but it can be done by a guy in his garage with the right tools and frame of mind.

With average shop rates at $125 or more per hour I would expect that someone would pay $150 at most shops for this service, so anything close to that you feel comfortable paying would not be out of line. The important thing is finding someone that knows what they are doing and will do it correctly.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Though technically "inside" the trans the band apply servo is replaceable through the passenger side of the transmission without pan removal and with a minimal loss of fluids. There are accumulators inside the trans which also have to do with second and fourth gear , accessible only by pan removal and these are often confused.

There is no way to remove this servo assembly in one piece while the trans is in the vehicle due to the proximity of the floor/tunnel to this area of the trans so it will be removed a part at a time which complicates things a bit. If you are mechanically talented and sober this is a small challenge but it can be done by a guy in his garage with the right tools and frame of mind.

With average shop rates at $125 or more per hour I would expect that someone would pay $150 at most shops for this service, so anything close to that you feel comfortable paying would not be out of line. The important thing is finding someone that knows what they are doing and will do it correctly.
Greg, thanks for your input. I feel better knowing the quotes aren't way out of the ballpark.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts