Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a little dismayed at the HP that GM is putting in a supposed "HOT ROD", i.e. 290 or so. I also feel that the weight is unnessarily high at 4600+. What do we have here,,,another PT or Prowler??

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Well,it can't be compared to a PT...the reason I say this is I own two of them.I followed the design and developement as well as marketing on the PT as it worked it's way to production.I have one of the earliest available dealer given out info packet/phamplets that was available(although limited)a year prior to availability of the PT.Not to mention many early early magazine articles.Chrysler stayed true to the original info releases(except of course early price gouging).The info always said it would be a small four door vehicle offering many of the abilities of it's larger cousins the minivan....interior wise being very easy to change for need.It would have an inline 4 cylinder developing roughly 140-150 horsepower.With a price range of 16-22 thousand depending on package level.It was NEVER advertised as a highpower vehicle.It was NEVER advertised as a performance vehicle.It was NEVER advertised as a sportscar OR a drag racer.It WAS advertised as multifunctional and DIFFERENT in appearance due to it's retros cues.And it WAS advertised as a MASS produced vehicle.

Considering that over 500,000 now have been sold and it has multiple package variants now that have been brought into existance......The regular three models,Base,Touring,Limited as well as the Woody package.Two Dream Cruiser editions limited in production numbers with there own special interior and numerical badging and exterior colors.The Turbo/GT model.And soon a mid level turbo package to produce 180 or so horses.....fitting in between the current 215 rated Turbo and 150 horse regular models......And last but probably not least the Convertible arriving next year......I would say that Chrysler provided a car that definently found a market not to mention caused a pretty big stir in the auto industry.It gives functionality plus something different in looks than anyother auto manufacturer in the world has produced......and it can't be confused with any other car.PLUS,I think you'll be hard pressed to find as new a vehicle on the market that has as much available in aftermarket goodies specifically made for it let alone all the stuff out there that is not made for it specifically but rather as general add ons that can be used to trully personalize it.............

As to the Prowler...another nice looking machine...but proof again that if you put a big pricetag on something and don't match image with what it represents(namely hot rodding).....you have doomed it from the start.

That is also currently occuring to the new T-Bird although for slightly different reasons....atleast they did get a V8 in that machine.But Ford confirms 05/06 will be the last year again for the T-Bird.

So hopefully a ridiculous pricetag combined with less power than anticipated will not kill the SSR before it even gets in full swing.Especially with the economy.

InfernoRed :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts