·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lansing State Journal
SSR hot, but sales never hit high gear
By Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

When the first Chevrolet SSR rolled off the Lansing Craft Centre assembly line in 2003, car enthusiasts hoped the retro-styled roadster would rev up excitement for the Chevy brand.

On Monday, just two years after the first SSRs reached dealerships, General Motors Corp. said it is parking the vehicle.

Sales never kicked into high gear. And as of Nov. 1, there were enough SSRs in inventory to supply sales for the next 250 days, according to Automotive News.

Advertisement

That is much more than the 60-day inventory GM desires.

The slow sales led to several weeks of downtime at the plant - more than 25 weeks so far this year.

Even so, the SSR drew a loyal following of fans who bristle at the suggestion that the SSR was a failure.

"It's the coolest new car I've ever owned," said Robert Kern, a doctor from Lawton, Okla., who owns a slingshot yellow 2005 SSR.

"I wanted a pickup. I wanted a convertible. I wanted a hot rod. I wanted something retro. The SSR is all those things," he said.
To date, GM has sold 18,408 SSRs. When the model debuted, the carmaker had expected to sell 15,000 a year.

SSR enthusiasts said their vehicles regularly drew stares and double-takes.

Mike Moro, an aerospace engineer from Phoenix, said he got comments from high school students and elderly ladies when he ventured out in his blue 2006 SSR. The announcement that production will end saddened him.

"I'm disappointed. I'm heartbroken for the families it will affect," he said.

Contact Barbara Wieland at 267-1348 or [email protected] lsj.com.

That's SSR Fanatic Mike in AZ on the last comment :thumbs

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
Thoughts from Within LCC

I received this comment earlier this morning ...

LCC Worker said:
Yep! It looks like a clean sweep for the west side of Lansing. The old Fisher Body plant (LCA) is across the railroad tracks were closed last spring. It's slated for demolition in the near future. With our plant and the metal center across the street getting hit, it looks like GM can reduce ALL utilities issues at once.

I don't know what's in store for me yet. We have contact provisions until Sept. 2007 and my guess is the next contract will have major changes.

... I will explore all my options and see where they may take me. It's been a good run for me. I came to (here) because I liked cars and have been around them ever since.

Thanks for thinking of us,

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Supplier eyes Craft Centre for possible expansion

Closing may lead to new specialty car production

By Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

It's too soon to know what will become of the General Motors Corp. plants slated to close next year.

However, one potential future for the Lansing Craft Centre plant could result in more local jobs.

The Craft Centre - home of the Chevrolet SSR and GM's only plant designed to build cars at low volumes - could become an assembly plant for another company.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051122/NEWS03/511220333/1150

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
hotrodgirl said:
Closing may lead to new specialty car production

By Barbara Wieland
Lansing State Journal

It's too soon to know what will become of the General Motors Corp. plants slated to close next year.

However, one potential future for the Lansing Craft Centre plant could result in more local jobs.

The Craft Centre - home of the Chevrolet SSR and GM's only plant designed to build cars at low volumes - could become an assembly plant for another company.

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051122/NEWS03/511220333/1150
Now wouldn't it be interesting if ASC bought the rights to the SSR and produced it themselves?

·
Registered
579 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
Now wouldn't it be interesting if ASC bought the rights to the SSR and produced it themselves?

Unlikely, There are still too many GM vehicles on the market. They would have to revitalize and re-design the vehicle to differentiate it from the Chevy SSR. Possible, but what it wouldn't be the same SSR.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the remaining unsold units now that production will cease.

:seeya E :seeya

Orange SSR :ssr

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
LCC Celebration Ceremony?

ECurtis said:
It will be interesting to see what happens to the remaining unsold units now that production will cease.
Oramge SSR :ssr
Just some food for thought.

I believe we will see an increase in demand later next year that may allow GM to readjust their SSR schedules and maybe allow for final closure to occur perhaps during the summer. I think that the final demand will increase just enough to keep the plant open for a little while longer. (Production should increase just like what we saw when the Camaro was slated to stop production.)

I also believe the plant might have a special plant history celebration ceremony. Which could include some of their past production products and could invite all the car clubs like ours to attend.

Just my .02

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LCC Celebration

Marc NY I also believe the plant might have a special plant history celebration ceremony. Which could include some of their past production products and could invite all the car clubs like ours to attend. Just my .02

Now that would be a sweet good-bye :seeya
I know one thing after being at the LCC Homecoming their will be NO way I would miss a closing celebration. After the heart warmth welcoming we received from the staff and employee's. :thumbs I just feel I have to give something back even if it just means me showing up to applaud them!

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
Marc NY said:
I also believe the plant might have a special plant history celebration ceremony. Which could include some of their past production products and could invite all the car clubs like ours to attend.

Just my .02

Now thats a celebration! Would be nice to see a sample of the other vehicles that came out of LCC!!!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
kwhopper89 said:
Now thats a celebration! Would be nice to see a sample of the other vehicles that came out of LCC!!!
:agree If they decided to have a celebration I would certainly try to make it. :thumbs

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Would love to come back up that way, misplaced my parakeet from the dinner I went to with mark and friends. :lol :lol

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
I'd be there

I had the same thought this week while out in the wood's hunting.

It would be a terriffic way to send out the last pf the SSR's at Lansing.

One more thing they could do is to hold a raffle for the very last SSR ever built at the plant (similar to what they did in Janesville when they produced the last full sized pick up here in 1987. I belive they made more money off that one truck than any other vehicle the have produced. Just about everyone wanted the last production truck as a keepsake.) They could start selling tickets at the first of the year, even offer books of them for us Fanatics to sell in our areas, and shows, etc. Then on the last day of production with all us fanatics there announce the winner of the last production SSR.

Just a thought, but I would definately show up for the last day of production if they let me know when it will be.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
FUZZY said:
I had the same thought this week while out in the wood's hunting.

It would be a terriffic way to send out the last pf the SSR's at Lansing.

One more thing they could do is to hold a raffle for the very last SSR ever built at the plant (similar to what they did in Janesville when they produced the last full sized pick up here in 1987. I belive they made more money off that one truck than any other vehicle the have produced. Just about everyone wanted the last production truck as a keepsake.) They could start selling tickets at the first of the year, even offer books of them for us Fanatics to sell in our areas, and shows, etc. Then on the last day of production with all us fanatics there announce the winner of the last production SSR.

Just a thought, but I would definately show up for the last day of production if they let me know when it will be.
they could just auction it off like they did the first 25. #2 took $135K.

·
Registered
374 Posts
WOW_FCTR said:
they could just auction it off like they did the first 25. #2 took $135K.
When the Marauder went out of production, the last one was built, shipped off to a dealer, who had no idea it was the last production of that car. Ford made no effort to make it special. It took one of the people on the Marauder Forum to find out the VIN, search where it went, and get the car.

There's an interesting difference between how SSR's are treated, however. The first Marauder sold to a customer was the owner of the oldest known production Marauder that still existed... and Ford made a big deal out of it, giving him a certificate, press release, etc. for the bragging rights. Then about a year later, an owner surfaced that took delivery from a dealer BEFORE this guy, provable with VIN number, sales paperwork, etc. Ford stubbornly refused to change anything, and still insists to this day it first "officially" sold Marauder when to the one they hand picked as the first owner.

Also, the project manager on the Marauder, who is a heckuva nice guy (I've met him a couple of times at Marauder events), never bought one for himself, unlike with the SSR. I was really impressed when I found out how many GM execs and people involved with the SSR program actualy owned one.

So, I would guess there will be something special with the last one.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Last Ones

All This Reality About Production Ceasing Just Makes Me Think About Getting Another One, Just So I Would Never Have To Be Without One, If I Happen To Wear Out My U/v 04. ...............thoughts, Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Circlek

·
Premium Member
31,427 Posts
Camaro/Firebird precedents

When the last 2 each of the Camaro and Firebird rolled off the assembly lines, the 2nd to last went to charity auction (the camaro sold for well over $70K), and the very last went to the GM collection.

I'd be very surprised if they don't do the same for the SSR.

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
I think they could just give all the current owners a lotto ticket, and then pull a number out of the hat, to give it away. LOL wouldn't that be something!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts