1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
OP
8,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
17,317 Posts
Sounds like fun, but I am afraid I just cannot make that. As it is, I may be up there in the begining of August, but by then it may very well be too late.

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Copied from the other thread

OP,

I talked to Marc NY yesterday and we would need to have the event in early March or late February. That is NOT a good time to be traveling cross country in our rods.

I have the idea that we might do a Woodward Dream Cruise and have a reunion with the SSR Design and Production employees..... just not at the LCC. This would span across into the design studio and engineering departments. Might be a good opportunity for us to attend and say "thanks", regardless of the status of the product line.

This would take a little help from GM in announcing the reunion to the company. It could easily be done after the plant closes and we could even make it an annual event.

Maybe I'll get an audience with Bob W. and have a chance to sell the idea.

Worth a try, since February/March weather is so unpredictably crappy across the US.......

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
Freezer,

What's your opinion on getting together with the employees for a proper thank you? Would we be better off to plan an event in August or get there before the doors close? IMHO, I think the last few weeks in the factory are not going to be too pleasant.......

Mike

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
WOW FACTR

You know that great minds think alike......

I would bet that there are a lot of us that think the same thing at the same time. Some just a little faster on the keyboard. I often find myself posting just after someone else spouted my words.....

I think we all feel that we must make the pilgrimage to Lansing this year..... I am just not sure what date will work. I would be willing to drive to LCC in March if that is what we're gonna do. I am a fearless traveler that has been in Siberia in January and taken hops back to the US on foreign cargo planes. Cross country with unknown weather is just another adventure in traveling.

We need to get a date that will work.

Regards,

Mike

·
I DO WINDOWS
8,825 Posts
suggest

Woodward weekend for meeting, more bang for the long distance buck. Get a bigger turn out that way. We can take out a thank you add in local paper the week of shut down. (woodward dream cruise ... 300 SSR's in line on TV.)
The best way to show Lansing workers, that what they built is impressive and appreciated is to run in a super large group….. (Dream 300) …. Last year we seen vipers and mustangs pass by in groups of 30 and reportedly 80, at Woodward. It was nice to see, and they received TV time in the news. It’s the best way to “in your face” see what you missed out on, to the public. And like a fly by, or parade lap for the workers. Even take them for a lap. Then it can become a yearly thing.

If I was a worker leaving work on that last day, I would want no more than, maybe a wave of support. Just the acknowledgement, and then straight to the bar, or home to family.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
Since I live here, March is OK with me. I am not sure how those in the plant will feel about the closing. The closing will be a very emotional event and I am not sure if it is right for us to participate. The Marketing guys are not planning anything. Maybe if Bob W. talked to the plant for us and asked.

The Dream Cruise might be a better time to reunion and ask the plant team to attend. They might have recovered by then.

I'm no better at figuring what to do here than anyone else.

The SSR is unique from start to finish, and somehow I hope we can continue the connection.

·
SSR Owners Group
3,753 Posts
REBEL said:
Woodward weekend for meeting, more bang for the long distance buck. Get a bigger turn out that way. We can take out a thank you add in local paper the week of shut down. (woodward dream cruise ... 300 SSR's in line on TV.)
I'll opt for the WDC in August too...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im in ! Please keep me posted ! Lansing 3 hrs away.... Hopefully it wont be snowing & miserable as Michigan usually is...

Oops... did I say that out loud?

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
I think that by the time the WDC comes along, most of the wounds will have healed a little.

With an article in the Lansing press (I know we have connections there.... Barbara, right?) and an ad in another Detroit paper, we should be able to get all of the LCC and SSR contributors to show up for a picnic. If GM puts a little e-mail notice also, it will help bring them out of the woodwork. Even 5 months after the plant closes.

I think we all share a bond.

·
Registered
29 Posts
does anyone know for sure when the plant will be closing the doors. Iknow they are going to stop taking orders here soon, but when will they officially shut off all the machines and turn off the lights?:cry

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Freezer's right - shut down in any business isn't a good time for a celebration.

Ray

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,065 Posts
pbmaniac2000 said:
does anyone know for sure when the plant will be closing the doors. Iknow they are going to stop taking orders here soon, but when will they officially shut off all the machines and turn off the lights?:cry
The press information has March 17th as the date of closure.

·
Retired GM Program Manager/ Chief SSR Engineer
549 Posts
By any stretch, a celebration will be a wake. Interesting that the shut down date is St. Patrick's Day and we only have one really green SSR.

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
I agree the reunion should be upbeat. What ever the date I plan on attending:)

·
Boop Op A Doop
30,422 Posts
Lcc

Well.... this timing news is just awfull!

But I also feel that co-ordinating something the same weekend as the WDC is a much better idea. I do think that the SSR turn out would be at a much more grand scale. I also fear that maybe with the plant closing date in March and the WDC month is August. The lenght of timing in between here might not go over well either.

I do know one thing if anyone is planning on going in March for the final shut-down date. I will meet you there!

This is a tuff call and what I feared most....the plant closing early.

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
I agree that even though we bought and love our SSR's this might be a sad time for the Lansing employees.
The ad in the paper sounds like a great idea. I am in for that.

Maybe we can make signs with a picture of our SSR on it and put them out side the plant for them to see we are thinking about them on their last day at the plant. And let them know we are planning a WDC event !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Yeah, I like the WDC idea

I have to be in Pittsburgh March 6-8 for training, so it would be impossible for me to attend if it were the 11th.

That said, I'd still like to tour the plant while the SSR is in production. That would be some time in February.

Freezer - are plant tours a regular thing, or do you need to make arrangements? It is limited to groups?

What we could do is a smallish group of meet up in Lansing for a pre-closing plant tour to see SSR's being built. I would fly up and forgoe driving my SSR.

We could still do the WDC, and drive up in our trucks.

1 - 20 of 164 Posts