Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving through Las Vegas next week on my way from Canada down to Arizona. Will likely go through during morning rush hour on I-15 to I-515 to Boulder City. Is there an Eastern bypass street to Boulder City that would allow me to avoid the freeways? Last trip through I got stuck for a couple hours due to wrecks on the freeway and would like to avoid the aggressive drivers and debris on the roads even if I have to stop at a few traffic lights.
Thanks,
Bob

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
Las Vegas bypass

Driving through Las Vegas next week on my way from Canada down to Arizona. Will likely go through during morning rush hour on I-15 to I-515 to Boulder City. Is there an Eastern bypass street to Boulder City that would allow me to avoid the freeways? Last trip through I got stuck for a couple hours due to wrecks on the freeway and would like to avoid the aggressive drivers and debris on the roads even if I have to stop at a few traffic lights.
Thanks,
Bob
Travelling down I-15 you can take the road to Overton which is about halfway between Mesquite and Las Vegas. It is two lane black top and ends up at Boulder. It takes about the same time as going through Vegas but no traffic and is a beautiful scenic drive as it follows the shore line of lake Mead. The road goes through a state park and depending on the time of day you enter the park, which is south of Overton, you may be charged a $10 park permit fee. Usually in the morning there is no one manning the park entrance when heading south. The area around Overton is quite picturesque and the park road is spectacular. Traffic is light and the road through the park is new (two years ago) . The road is a favourite for motorcycles on weekends as it is smooth and has lots of curves. The road comes out just by the rest stop on the east end of Boulder and from there you turn left to go over the dam and on the freeway to Kingman. You could also turn right and go through Boulder and then south if you chose to head that way.
The $10 park fee is well worth it for us as we really don’t like the hassle of freeway driving in Las Vegas. We always look forward to driving top down through that section on out trip to Phoenix.

Hope this helps

Shawn

·
Registered
192 Posts
If you are a Senior, you can get the lifetime SR pass for $10 too (IIRC). For a street level bypass, take Craig Rd East off I15 to Nelllis Blvd, then South on Nellis to Tropicana, then Tropicana West to I515 south. There is still some construction going on on the west side of Boulder City ( but not bad), and Boulder City is still a bottleneck depending on what time you go through there. I like BMBLBEE's idea of the Overton Rd bypass. It is a pretty drive!

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I'm planning to take 95 South through Laughlin to Kingman as the road is much better than 93. Nevada seems to put a lot into road maintenance compared to Arizona.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts