Chevy SSR Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· RetroCarGuy530
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found the LAUNCH Creader Elite for GM on sale for $94 (plus local sales tax) during the Black Friday weekend (Cyber Monday sale).
Communication Device Orange Gadget Mobile phone Font
Communication Device Font Gadget Portable communications device Technology
Gadget Communication Device Font Output device Cable
Product Rectangle Font Electronic device Technology

2022 Elite LAUNCH X431 GM Full System Bi-Directional Scan Tool, All Reset Diagnostic Scanner, AUTOVIN,ECU Coding,Battery Register,Key Programing for Buick/Chevrolet/Cadillac/GMC,Lifetime Free Update:

Amazon Affiliate Link: https://amzn.to/3EKonLq
Direct (Non-Affiliate) Link: https://www.amazon.com/LAUNCH-Bi-Directional-Diagnostic-Programing-Chevrolet/dp/B09XV8VR35

I purchased one and I received it yesterday. I updated the unit's software (various modules and an Android system update) after pulling out of the box.
Before upgrade of diagnostic software: Mobile phone Product Telephony Communication Device Mobile device
After upgrading diagnostic software: Mobile phone Telephony Communication Device Mobile device Portable communications device

I don't currently own a Chevy SSR, so I tested the unit with my 2014 Chevy Caprice PPV. It scanned all of the modules in the vehicle successfully. I then successfully used a bi-directional actuation test to turn on and vary the speed of the radiator cooling fans (this vehicle has a pulse-width modulated signal to vary the fan speed). I tried rolling the windows up/down via a body control module (BCM) actuation test and that worked.

I tried using one of the HVAC control module's bi-directional special functions to turn on/off the "Afterblow" feature setting. This setting controls whether the HVAC blower motor will be used to help dry out the moisture built up from using the A/C after the vehicle has been parked and the ignition turned off. This bi-directional special function did not work. The "Status" field for the operation would stay stuck on "Communicating" for however long you were willing to let it try to complete the requested operation.
Font Screenshot Number Rectangle Terrestrial plant
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

I then tried my Thinkcar ThinkDiag scan tool to accomplish the same thing and it also failed. In the not to distant past, this feature worked using the ThinkDiag scan tool. The Thinkcar ThinkDiag and the LAUCH Creader Elite seem to use the same generic code base as the foundation for the diagnostic software available for their devices. It looks like that by version 49.00 of the GM/Chevrolet/Cadillac/Build diagnostic module, this feature had been broken in the generic code base that both tools use.

I then tried using my Autel MaxiSys MS906 scan tool and I was able to successfully change the "Afterblow" setting.

I've reported this issue to Kingbolen (seller of the device) to hopefully get that issue resolved.

So far with the limited testing I've done today, I have to say I'm impressed with this tool. Especially with a purchase price of $94 USD. It's now back to its regular price of $179 on the Amazon listing page.

As I get testing time with this scan tool, I'll update this thread with that info.

· RetroCarGuy530
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will this device allow me to change and reprogram my Hi / Low fan settings?
No, a scan tool like this cannot reprogram the PCM/ECM internal data to adjust the fan on/off temps. I believe there would need to be a special function interface exposed by the ECM/PCM tune to allow a bi-directional scan tool to adjust the values. The only time I believe you can adjust the fan on/off temps is using a programming tool that can upload a modified tune or adjust data stored within the tune in the PCM/ECM.

· Premium Member
2,590 Posts
I your truck is an '05 or '06 you can do it with a Deablo Sport U7191. One of our members has one he will sell. If you are interested send me a "Conversation" and I will give you his contact information.
Jack

• Helpful
Reactions: richsadams

· Registered
2003 & 2004 Black SSR
278 Posts
I your truck is an '05 or '06 you can do it with a Deablo Sport U7191. One of our members has one he will sell. If you are interested send me a "Conversation" and I will give you his contact information.
Jack
Thank you, Jack.
My Trucks are 03 & 04.
I may have to look into reading about HP tuners, I saw a video on YouTube of someone performing the changes. I haven't had the time to look into it with a clear head after work.
I'm mainly concerned about the Hi / Low settings.

· Premium Member
2006 Silver automatic-vin #122786
663 Posts
In what type of situation would I need to use this scanner? Will it fix something? Or just tell you the fault code? I have an 06 with no issues-so do you need to carry it in your glove box--just in case? With all the electronics I should know this stuff--but I have never had the need to --Nor do I know how to use it!
Steve

· RetroCarGuy530
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In what type of situation would I need to use this scanner? Will it fix something? Or just tell you the fault code? I have an 06 with no issues-so do you need to carry it in your glove box--just in case? With all the electronics I should know this stuff--but I have never had the need to --Nor do I know how to use it!
Steve
Hi Steve,

In theory (need to test one with a SSR myself), this scan tool will scan all of the modules in the SSR (including the Roof Door Module [RDM]) for DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes). Since it's a bi-directional scan tool, it should be capable of invoking actuation tests for the various modules (let's you test features/functions controlled by that module) and the special functions for the various modules (let's you test/configure select features/functions controlled by that module).

The less expensive (usually $50 USD or below) will read in the ECM/PCM and some will also read codes from the ABS (EBCM - Anti-lock Brake System) and the SRS (Supplemental Restraint System - Airbag System).

This LAUNCH Creader Elite for GM could be a fairly inexpensive way for the DIY mechanic to be able to scan all of the modules in the SSR, look at live data available from the various modules and if the scanner side of the actuation tests and special functions are implemented correctly, you can test and potentially configure some features that have "special function" configuring functions.

This scan tool will not reconfigure PCM (2003-2004) / ECM (2005-2006) cooling system fan on/off temps. You need a programming tool that can adjust the tune loaded into the PCM/ECM to accomplish that task. DiabloSport has programmers that can accomplish that task as well as using HP Tuners (I have not attempted this with HP Tuners myself). If you're not extremely familiar with how to use one of those handheld tuners, I would strongly recommend taking your SSR to a shop/person with knowledge of how to accomplish that task (and one that is legal for you location).

· Premium Member
2006 Silver automatic-vin #122786
663 Posts
That explains it--Thanks for the info--for the time being I will use a shop that can perform the diagnostics if something comes up that I can't figure out. The cheap one just tell you what is going on when the car is running--for $50 maybe I will try that in order to gain a little more knowledge.
Very helpful--Thanks
Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts