Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
PEDIGREE SSR
8,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Lansing Craft Centre (LCC) is looking for your feedback. They are asking for our member's input with any issues dealing with the SSR's in-dash and auxiliary cup holders. Improvements have been ongoing and they need to know how effective they have been and where there are still concerns.

The responses should include the following information:

- The last 8 digits of your VIN (This is for tracking).
- Whether it is the in-dash or auxiliary holder (or both).
- A clear statement of the concern or issue you have encountered (what and why).
- Any and all actions taken to correct or resolve any issues.
- What the result of those actions were.

Please take the time to answer their questions with constructive comments so that LCC will be able to better understand and evaluate your concerns. You can respond in this thread.

Thank you.

·
Enjoying life as it comes
5,205 Posts
Cup holdres

VIN#3B1000099

I have noticed that the passenger side cup holder sticks when trying to extract it from the dash. Slight upward pressure on the cover is needed to allow it to release from its position. Haven't taken this isssue any further.

Other than that, I liked the in dash cup holder so much that I installed one on the drivers side where the coin tray was.

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
vin# 4b111672
The in dash cup holder and coin holder seem fine. Cup holder won't hold larger drinks, but that is OK for weight reasons.
Console cup holder is another issue. First off it looks like an aftermarket add on that really doesn't fit the lines of the car. Most of the time I actually remove it and keep it in glove compartment. It got used on the way back from the homecoming and completely fell apart. My service department is getting me a new one under warranty. The way it is constructed I see nothing but problems with it in the future.
I think Chevy would have been better off not even putting that one in. Then the only gripe would be not enough cup holders.

·
Premium Member
3,926 Posts
The dash one is fine for a cup of coffee. The console cup holder was taken out as soon as I purchased the SSR and looks so bad I would never reinstall it.

What about a spring on the console lid???? It is hard enough to reach in there and then you have to fight to keep it open too.

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
dingbat said:
vin# 4b111672
The in dash cup holder and coin holder seem fine. Cup holder won't hold larger drinks, but that is OK for weight reasons.
Console cup holder is another issue. First off it looks like an aftermarket add on that really doesn't fit the lines of the car. Most of the time I actually remove it and keep it in glove compartment. It got used on the way back from the homecoming and completely fell apart. My service department is getting me a new one under warranty. The way it is constructed I see nothing but problems with it in the future.
I think Chevy would have been better off not even putting that one in. Then the only gripe would be not enough cup holders.

I'd like to post a big ditto to Dingbat's post. I would add that the console "add on" looks like something you'd buy at Wal-Mart, and if the cup is large, the holder will come off with the cup. it also eats into the limited leg room space for the passenger. I would suggest adding a second holder where the coin tray is or better yet, make a larger drop down unit that would take the place of the huge ash tray, which is useless to anyone who doesn't smoke in their SSR's.
my .02
George Thames
4B112975

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Ed Obermeyer
VIN #100856
2003 Smokin Asphalt
BOTH-In dash one on the right is fine, but does not hold drinks of any size, especially water bottles on the way to the gym. The driver's side coin tray is good for just that and is very handy. It is impossible to put a drink in there and actually drive without smacking the drink into the steering wheel, which is why I suppose it is indeed, a coin tray. I like the futuristic, techno. idea but it sure could use some stronger materials to make it more useful. I also have difficulty on occasion opening the drink in dash holder (the one on the right). I often am pressing like crazy and then out of nowhere, for some reason, it actually opens. The one on the console just has way too many moving parts and they get hung up on the edges of a variety of drink containers. The one on the console can't possibly work on the driver's side without banging your knee into it and actually, on the driver's side, creates a driver inattention hazard in my opinion. What can be done? make one with stronger materials but less parts. My wife also noticed on our 3500 mile journey that the passenger side for your feet is much smaller than the driver side and it gets very uncomfortable for the passenger on a long trip because of the lack of wider foot room. The length is perfect, it just needs more width. Hope this helps. I love my SSR and would not trade it for anything in the world. Nothin is perfect but this sure is close!

·
Premium Member
31,433 Posts
big-daddy said:
or better yet, make a larger drop down unit that would take the place of the huge ash tray, which is useless to anyone who doesn't smoke in their SSR's.
Not to be deliberately mean to smokers, but how many do you know that actually use the ash trays anyway - most I notice just pitch the butts out the window. I would heartily endorse something that replaces that ashtry with something more useful as well. Actually, I was considering pulling it out and installing a CD changer down in that hole (if I could find one that's small enough).

However, onto the cup holders as that's what the thread's about anyway. I like the indash units, but I do wish they were just slightly larger. Those 20 oz. pepsi bottles just don't fit, and the console unit is so gargantuan (was it made for those 7-11 Double-Gulps??) that it won't hold it.

VIN 5B120941

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The in-dash holder blocks the A/C air duct and not very durable, otherwise it's better than nothing. I USE IT CAREFULLY.....
The auxiliary holder is useless and looks out of place. Too flimsy, big enough to fit big cups but hags over like it's going to break anytime. Also in the way of my leg on either side of console. I DON'T USE IT AT ALL. (I would store it in the glove box but I already have two (short) pencils in there and it won't fit anything else. Hint, Hint).

2003 SSR Black
#3B100475
in-dash & auxiliary holder (both)

·
Machell
20,829 Posts
Vin#4B106457
Aux. Cup Holder. Great size but very afraid it will break with any amount of weight! I will put a large or sometime Route44 Sonic drink in it but I don't like that because of the weight.
A 16 oz plastic bottle of soda can not be removed with one hand because it catches on the inner ring and brings the entire holder with it (mind you the 05 models has the forward facing clip) I even bought an extra holder off Ebay just incase of breakage.

In-dash Cup Holder Is almost useless because nothing much will fit into it. I can use it for small to go cups and the SSR Silver insulated cup I bought. But nothing to weighty. If I do use it for small drinks then I can't use the bottom holder because there is no room to get the drink out! I had issues with it not springing open but the dealership oiled it and it works well as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Coin tray

Serial Number 4B106043

I keep a Sears Craftsman garage door remote (the larger design) in my coin tray. Also I keep a few coins in the remaing space alongside.

Occasionally a coin will work its way under the remote. When that happens, I can press it to release the latch, but the remote rubs on the "sleeve" surrounding the tray. It won't slide open far enough to get a grip.

I went out to take the picture that is attached. It didn't open right away. I removed the remote and exercised the tray a few times. It still stuck closed. In the picture some scuffing can be seen on the top left of the tray fascia. So it's not just the remote like I thought.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
#10882 THe coin holder sticks closed most of the time, sometimes I have to almost pry it open... need at least 2-3 presses on the front to get it to open... The Aux drink holder on the console really seems very flimsy and with any larger cup the holder will come up with the glass unless I'm very careful and make sure to push the cup toward the console to depress the little flap first. Three suggestions... eliminate the cigarette lighter/ash tray drawer and just have it be a storage bin. I second the idea of having a spring on the console lid... it is really not easy to open when driving or if you have only one hand. Why not modify the waterfall so that it opens forward for additional storage and it would not need to be pieced or cut anywhere... it could just pivot forward from the bottom to preserve the pure smooth curvature of the waterfall that makes it a work of art. Lack of storage in the cabin is the only inconvenience I can find in the whole truck... and these aren't showstoppers... THANKS for a great vehicle. :thumbs :thumbs

·
Premium Member
6,376 Posts
Remote Control

beer100 said:
Serial Number 4B106043

I keep a Sears Craftsman garage door remote (the larger design) in my coin tray. Also I keep a few coins in the remaing space alongside.

Occasionally a coin will work its way under the remote. When that happens, I can press it to release the latch, but the remote rubs on the "sleeve" surrounding the tray. It won't slide open far enough to get a grip.

I went out to take the picture that is attached. It didn't open right away. I removed the remote and exercised the tray a few times. It still stuck closed. In the picture some scuffing can be seen on the top left of the tray fascia. So it's not just the remote like I thought.
Just wondering why carry an extra remote control unit? We have home link built into the mirror of our SSR's! You hold your remote next to the inside rear view mirror and press the home link button and wala! See the owners manual for detailed instructions. We do not have a temp or compass in our mirror's but we got home-link. ;)

Scott 0168 :thumbs

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
you beat me to it Scott! I love that programable mirror. You can program up to two devices so I did my alarm system on the house and my remote for the garage door. Love it!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I like it too, I'd even program it, except for one thing, it's always on. Even after the key is removed from the ignition.

If it disabled when the key is out, I'd use it.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
cruzned said:
you beat me to it Scott! I love that programable mirror. You can program up to two devices so I did my alarm system on the house and my remote for the garage door. Love it!
Despite my best intentions I often find my SSR sitting unlocked when I go out to it in the morning. :nodno

·
Original SSR Centerfold
3,146 Posts
beer100 said:
Despite my best intentions I often find my SSR sitting unlocked when I go out to it in the morning. :nodno
But isn't the remote in the coin tray always on??????

·
Growing Older but Not Up
1,350 Posts
What's in the Garage?

What's in the garage that makes you have leave the SSR outside?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts