Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak going from the purge valve to the canister on top of fuel tank.....can the fuel shield be easily removed or do I have to drop fuel tank to get to the connection..it would be great if the Shield could be removed...any thoughts??

·
Ralph and Ruth
855 Posts
I have a leak going from the purge valve to the canister on top of fuel tank.....can the fuel shield be easily removed or do I have to drop fuel tank to get to the connection..it would be great if the Shield could be removed...any thoughts??
What year is your SSR? There is a recall on 04s fuel tank for leaks around the inlet check valve (ICV), ( on tank top), which is prone to fracture.I had mine replaced after I noted leakage after parking up a hill (at no cost). My letter states that my 04 is warranted for this problem for 15 years or 150,000 miles under GM Special Coverage Program 14423. Check with a Chevy dealer.

·
RedHotSSR
605 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the reminder on that recall. Just another good reason to read the Forum as often as possible. Several past post have saved me from unscheduled repairs on the road.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My leak is the tube running from the purge valve to the what I believe is the canister on top of tank..seems to have rubbed against bracket

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
As I remember it the recall was because of cracked valves. I also remember something in the letter from GM about "If you smell gas bring it in, we will check it."

·
Ralph and Ruth
855 Posts
As I remember it the recall was because of cracked valves. I also remember something in the letter from GM about "If you smell gas bring it in, we will check it."
True. I took mine in when I got the letter and they wouldn't look at it at that time. Only after I had an actual leak was mine checked.

·
Daily Driver
8,776 Posts
My letter said they would pay half, and with an extended warranty you pay your deductible. But when I got it done they said GM would cover it all, no charge. I didn't argue.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,430 Posts
Fuel Tank Shield

The fuel tank shield is held in place by both Tinnerman-style nuts and barbed plastic fasteners. The nuts would need to be removed and the barbed plastic fasteners "pinched" to free the shield. It might be tight enough that you might have to remove the driveshaft, too (see photo). Even after doing this, the vertical clearance above the top of the tank might not be sufficient to access or remove the components on the top of the tank. If you have your SSR on a lift you will get a better idea of whether there is enough clearance to be gained by removing the shield for access to the top from inside the frame. I have not had mine in the air for awhile but recall from looking at a fuel tank off the truck that service operations are done from the top and require the tank to be removed.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
snomuncher
Chevy SSR Forum
Chevy SSR Forum - where SSR fans discuss modifications, wheel & tire tech, performance and so much more!
Full Forum Listing