Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am camped out at the Chevy dealer waiting for word about the leak in the rear transmission seal. Actually it is residue rather than a "leak" persay. This appears to be the same type leak JimG spoke about in some related posts. Suspect the driveshaft is the basis for the problem...but we'll see what the "experts" have to say.

I can say that I am glad that I received my Reinhart driveshaft yesterday. More on this later.

P/P

Peace:flag

·
Resident Rocket Scientist
11,997 Posts
Hopefully the new driveshaft isn't installed yet. That way they can't blame the new driveshaft for the leak..

·
Registered
89 Posts
I saw the leek too when PP had it on the lift....new driveshaft not yet installed. Hope all is well, she's a fine ride.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just got mine back from service...

I've got about 24,500 on mine now... an 04 Beast... I've had the "new" driveshaft with the balancer for about 15,000 miles and had the "residue", not a leak yet, no dripping. But I also had a bad rear main seal that was dripping:mad and while they had the oil pan off and everything taken apart, they put in a new seal in the transmission tail stock. I'll keep looking at it... they will not replace the drive shaft, so will have to see as time goes on what happens.:eek The Service rep started by saying that unless there is a drip, GM won't authorize the seal replacement, but he must have done some talking for me on this one.

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
FYI

The 2005 SSR service manual, page 4-4, states the following about a leak at the front slip yoke:

DEFINTION: An occasional drop of lubricant leaking from the splined yoke is normal and requires no attention.​

How "occasional" do the drips have to be to be a "leak"?

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't know what took so long...2 1/2 hours ...but the seal was changed. Thought it would be a big deal financially...covered by the extended warranty...to the tune of about $45. Labor was .5 hours.

As hdflstf correctly stated about the driveshaft, that might have been an issue. They also wouldn't buy the complaint that a vibration when driving was an ongoing occurance. The blame which I could'nt refute was always the tires. Have had them balanced twice and the vibration was always there.

Now the new Dynotech driveshaft. Had it installed at the muffler shop my wife says I spend too much time in the first place. Old out, the new in, all of 15 minutes.
Driving the 3 miles home was a NEW EXPERIENCE!!! NO VIBRATION!!!! :willy: Its gone:willy:

Second observation. The shifting between gears, both up and down, is markedly smoother. I drive in third gear a lot in town, with traffic, lights, and the like just doesn't suit the transmission to get in 4th for seconds and then slow down or stop in the next quarter mile. I believe the 38K miles have been rather tough ones on this driveshaft and am glad its in the shed now collecting dust.

Moral of the story...this driveshaft is the cats meow. The best $500 I've spent in a long time. Try it, you'll like it.

P/P

·
RetroCarGuy530
1,610 Posts
Congrats P/P.

The new MMC based drive shaft is a wonderful thing, isn't it!!!

Did your previous drive shaft produce the "tink" noise? Mine did but with the new drive shaft in place, mine's been totally "quiet".

:thumbs

·
Tu-Tone club member
5,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
shift......Did have a very minor "tink" but not enough to raise a stink about. I don't look for everything to be perfect...unless I want to correct something. This d/s fills that bill. (I still can't believe the difference in the units)

P/P

1 - 8 of 8 Posts