Chevy SSR Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That tank is in a very tight space. I can't see where it is leaking, but it is apparently a couple inches from the bottom and near the back side.
Does anyone have information on taking it out. I might be able to repair it, if I can get to the leak.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Maybe someone like Mike in AX will look into making a Windshield Washer Tank replacement.A lot of our SSR's are getting older with Dry, Yellowed and Brittle Plastic Tanks. It's almost impossible to find. We need one like the Coolant Tank that Mike sells.

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Simple-Engineering

Mike at Simple-Engineering has a replacement tank that you can actually see the fluid. Click this link. Coolant Tank

Jack

·
Supporting SSR Hobbyist
10,064 Posts
Mike at Simple-Engineering has a replacement tank that you can actually see the fluid. Click this link. Coolant Tank

Jack
Thanks for the promotional plug, Jack. Yes, I do have the aftermarket Dorman brand tanks for the cooling system.

The answer to the question, though, is NO....... I don't have any of the windshield washer tanks. They are very, very hard to find. The OEM ones are blow-molded and I will be hunting down a source for that in 2018.... I do have a good tank as a sample and hope to get it cloned.

Regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
'06 FPR Smokin Asphalt; '04 Ulta Violet
4,376 Posts
If you want an original, possibly with decals and cap, have you called Byers?----2005 SSR parting out . If you need parts contact
Mike Byers or Bob Pearce . 817-899-6002
Grapevine tx. 817-410-6142 WK. 817-944-1056 CELL--------

Nick

·
Premium Member
1,954 Posts
Oops!..................

Misread the post. Sorry 'bout that. I just saw tank.

Jack

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all, I guess I'll just try to see if I can get it out.( may be a month or more) Then see if I can stop the leak. If I do try that, I'll take some pics and post the results. I was hoping to get -"here is how to remove the tank" Looks like I might have to write it myself.
This site has spoiled me.:wink2::smile2:

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
Thanks all, I guess I'll just try to see if I can get it out.( may be a month or more) Then see if I can stop the leak. If I do try that, I'll take some pics and post the results. I was hoping to get -"here is how to remove the tank" Looks like I might have to write it myself.
This site has spoiled me.:wink2::smile2:
My washer container was leaking a few years ago. It turned out to be a leak in the rubber grommet that seals the washer pump to the container. It is a tight area to get to. If your travels take you to I can help you with the repair. Good luck. Jerry

·
SSR Navy Pilot
187 Posts
Leak

I had the same problem on my 2005 SSR. The solution was similar. The washer pump had a crack in it. My dealer replaced it. No new tank was needed.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Hard to remove washer fluid tank is not limited to the R. For several months the tank on my 2012 Mercedes leaked and I finally tried to tackle removal.....ha. Typical German engineering...couldn't get that last nut off without a special wrench. Luckily I could get to the area that leaked and used epoxy to seal it up. Geeeezzzz...I was taken aback by all the "stuff" that is pushed into the area exposed after taking the wheel well liner off.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well no luck so far. I did get the bolts out that were holding it on. Only to find out that it will no come out of the space. I also moved some connector of sorts that was in front of it, still not enough room. It may come out if the fuse box is removed. I started on that an stopped. I had an idea that maybe it would come out the wheel well space. In the process I broke the only socket that fit it and the air wrench, had to go buy another, only to realize that there is metal behind the tank, not just the wheel well liner.
I put the tire back on, looked at it a while and quit.
I did get a better look at it. It may be leaking where the tube that goes to the wipers slides over a little pipe that goes into the tank. Sometime I might put some goop on it and put some more fluid in it and see if it leaks.
But not TODAY.

·
Tech Support/Research
1,683 Posts
Washer Fluid Tank Removal

Well no luck so far. I did get the bolts out that were holding it on. Only to find out that it will no come out of the space. I also moved some connector of sorts that was in front of it, still not enough room. It may come out if the fuse box is removed. I started on that an stopped. I had an idea that maybe it would come out the wheel well space. In the process I broke the only socket that fit it and the air wrench, had to go buy another, only to realize that there is metal behind the tank, not just the wheel well liner.
I put the tire back on, looked at it a while and quit.
I did get a better look at it. It may be leaking where the tube that goes to the wipers slides over a little pipe that goes into the tank. Sometime I might put some goop on it and put some more fluid in it and see if it leaks.
But not TODAY.
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have removed the Powertrain Control Module that is inboard of the reservoir but that is one component that, when removed, provides clearance for removal and access to the pump.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You haven't mentioned whether or not you have removed the Powertrain Control Module that is inboard of the reservoir but that is one component that, when removed, provides clearance for removal and access to the pump.
I've been looking at that, (I guess), It must be that flat electrical control looking box that sits up like a sandwich standing up in a Tupperware box covered by a piece of weather proofing rubber.

I was a little hesitant to mess with that. But that sure would make things easier.:wink2:

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts