Chevy SSR Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:|
OK, this past March, I had all new tires (Contis) installed and no problems till this week. I check 'em every couple of weeks or so and until this week, just the variance you would expect with temp changes, etc.

But a couple of days ago, pulled it out of the garage where it had sat for two weeks maybe. While polishing the beast, I noted the left front tire was looking low. Put the gauge on it and it showed about 15 psi.:surprise:

Loaded it back up to 30 psi and put some suds on the valve stem and no results there. After two more days, it had lost about 3 psi.

Took it into the Tire Shop today and they found a rim leak. They partially demounted the tire at that part of the rim and showed me where there was a rough weld along the inside edge of the rim where the tire seals up. Looked like someone had maybe welded up a small crack or maybe it was there from the start (manufactorer). I can't see how it could have been welded later on without mucking up the chrome finish on the outer side of the wheel. No apparent damage at all appearance wise.

They told me "no problem", they ground down the rough edges of the weld and smoothed it all out and said they had seen this kinda problem before...........

·
Ex SoCal Nut
9,962 Posts
sometimes tire shops do not take a wire brush to the bead sealing surfaces to clean off the crud that builds up and the air will leak from there. had that happen with mud once, but, that's another story. if your rim had a crack and was weld repaired, suds may not show bubbles as the leak is slow and not blow bubbles immediately. how does it check lately? is it gone and all is well? hope so....

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, no wire brush would have eliminated this rough weld glop. The rim either side of that spot was smooth as you would expect. They found the suspect spot via a dip tank of water that covers the whole tire surface a (section at a time).

Now that they have smoothed out that spot, I expect no further leaks from there. Since the new tires went on back in March, I've been on two extended trips with no problems and/or notice of any significant air loss.

I'm guessing that the truck had to be parked at (exactly) the right point out of 360 degrees to flex and allow the slight leakage that occurred.:nerd:

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
If it's going to be a tire, it's always the left front...lol
But, I used a local hole-in-the-wall tire shop with sharp tire fella's and had the wheels removed, ground the inside of the rims and then painted. That was after the Infinity had the same issue you described without a weld -Tire just kept going down & again the left front. This is one wheel treatment worth the $100 spent.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's going to be a tire, it's always the left front...lol
But, I used a local hole-in-the-wall tire shop with sharp tire fella's and had the wheels removed, ground the inside of the rims and then painted. That was after the Infinity had the same issue you described without a weld -Tire just kept going down & again the left front. This is one wheel treatment worth the $100 spent.

Cheers
:smile2:

I haven't rechecked the tire since last week when they pulled it off and fixed as I described above, but the fee was very reasonable I thought. Charged me $15 total.:wink2:

·
BAD BOW TIE
11,641 Posts
Now that the leak seems to be repaired you might think about having to have that tire and wheel re-balanced if they took off a considerable amount of material and if they did not get the tire back on the rim in the exact same spot it will be off. Just a thought. .

·
Daily Driver
8,980 Posts
Seems awfully odd it was welded without screwing up the chrome. :confused
Are you sure it wasn't an epoxy based aluminum filler?

·
Premium Member
2,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems awfully odd it was welded without screwing up the chrome. :confused
Are you sure it wasn't an epoxy based aluminum filler?
:|
I agree it's weird, but no chrome damage and appears to be like a small "spot" weld, just bumped up enough to allow the rim leakage. Guess it could have been just filler.

As to Auggies question, they just pushed back the tire on the rim at the point of concern. This allowed access to grind down the bump and then pop the tire back in place and refill it. So tire was never removed nor rotated on the rim and what was ground off would have been negligible.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
$15 -$25, either way it's a darn good deal.

$25 was really good from my perspective, I watched, spent about 30 minutes a wheel, carefully grinding each wheel and using marine undercoat paint to finish off, put the tire back on and balanced. I won't worry about it again. ;)

Cheers

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
If you get an alloy or steel rim that is badly corroded from winter salt intrusion or from sitting flat for long periods of time just Emery the bead mounting surface. Apply a liberal bead of plain ole' silicon to the tire bead and reinflate. Works and works forever with no safety issues whatsoever.
You can do this at home with a jack-all / farm Jack and a can of ether starting fluid if you don't have a Harbor Freight tire machine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts